Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Arrested for your hobby

• RMweb Gold

Well, there's indecent behaviour in a public place, for a start.....

No such offence. Except under the aforementioned Ways & Means Act. Generally such activity will normally not be prosecuted under CPS guidance.

On trains then Railway Byelaws come into effect, so a bit more latitude.......

• RMweb Premium

You can't get arrested for picking up a model. Ah, wait a minute...

Reminds me of the question I got from someone after I bought an airbrush (still not tried to use it yet!) - "So you're going to be airbrushing models?"

They can, but it's more fun to suddenly put on the cars roof mounted searchlights, blues and twos and watch the ensuing carnage and panic!

Think of the end of Benn y Hill

Reminds me of when I borrowed the DCI's unmarked car to pop down to the local mall do do the station banking. I got a call from the station over the radio asking me to 'switch to local' for a query. Not being used to the car I bumped a switch on the dash as I reached to change the band. Of course it had to be the one which lit up the concealed reds and blues! The looks of panic/guilt on the faces of all the surrounding drivers was priceless! I almost ran up the rear of one car that suddenly dropped back to the speed limit - I always wondered how I would explain things to the DCI if I had taken his car back a bit bent.

Dave 

Well, there's dogging, I suppose.... People can get arrested for that.

Oh no you can't. For what offence?

I don't know about dogging - honest - but I'm pretty sure that Flashing your Hammant & Morgan is regarded as offensive even by railway modellers.  :nono:

Back in the mid 1970s a group of British train spotters were arrested and thrown out of the GDR.

Mind you they were filming a train load of armoured vehicles.

I don't think the filming was intentional. They were just filming various trains and the wrong one just happened to come along.

Bernard

Meanwhile back on the topic of this thread...

Bernard describes a common occupational hazard during the 'seventies, even for officially sanctioned organised groups.  My forays into the Warsaw Pact countries were on standard package trips, doing a bunk from the organised element and gambling heavily that, as a teenager, I might "get away" with taking photographs of old railway engines when those old enough to know better might face more serious consequences.  So, only one proper arrest, any number of scrapes - but no confiscation of films, even after being asked to hand over the one I'd just been pointing at a troop train. 

Which is where pleading innocence and ignorance usually worked.  I think most of the time railwaymen were sympathetic and secretly pleased that someone else shared their enthusiasm - they just had to maintain the appearance of taking the right stance in case somebody was watching them (and there some frightening stories of nationals being taken away for questioning by the secret police just for being friendly with foreigners).

Strangely enough, most of the incidents occurred when carrying out activities that - in theory - were officially permitted.  Nearly all the countries had no blanket prohibition of taking photographs of locomotives and rolling stock at stations, provided no strategic subjects (e.g. bridges, military installations) were included.

And besides, when you see a 556.0* barrelling down the track towards you, are you really going to notice the tanks behind the personnel carriage?

post-10122-0-45501500-1428014345_thumb.jpg

(That realisation came the moment after spinning around to take the "going away" shot)

Happy days.

*[As fitted with floodlamp growing out of the side of the smokebox.]

• RMweb Premium

Public indecency only becomes an offence if a third party is offended.  Legally you can walk through the streets naked and perform otherwise lawful acts without restraint until such time as the local Mrs. Bucket calls time on you.  One of the oft-quoted acts is that is not unlawful for "carriage drivers" to urinate against the rear wheel of their carriage if nature so requires.  It's something one or two of my colleagues engaged in whilst rostered some of the more rural runs from my one-time place of employment in Penzance at which no facility was provided at the outer terminus.

Never felt Plod's tug of my collar to date but I've had a couple of run-ins with jobsworth railway staff.

Case 1 - Limehouse C2C platforms.  Hand-held camera in use on a safe area of the platform away from other passengers.  Jobsworth comes marching down the platform within seconds and asks "Are you a train spotter?" to which I answer "No".  "Put that camera away or I'll call the Police - you're breaking the law".  Me : "I don't believe that's correct but call them if you wish".  He : "Put the f******g camera away or I'll put it where the sun don't shine".  I take this to be a threat, put the camera away, hop smartly onto the next train into Fenchurch Street and report the incident to the senior person on duty.  In due course I receive a written apology from C2C and a confirmation that I was within the guidelines and their staff member was not.

Case 2 - Sydney Central.  The interstate platform 1 is very quiet with only a couple of departures on a typical day.  It does however give good views across the vast station throat.  I wander down with the hand-held camera again.  Halfway down I'm stopped by a senior official.  He is on a patrol of the station with two Transit Cops. "Hey mate - what ya' doing?"  "I was hoping to grab a few shots of your trains while I wait for mine".  "Not here you don't mate".  "Mind if I ask why not?"  "Coz I say so - now of you go."  In a moment of either genius or madness I ask the cops "Do I have to go?  What law am I breaking here?"  They look sheepishly at each other and come up with "Errrr - noting I know of mate.  Far as we're concerned you can go right ahead".  Result!

I always carry a printout of the NR rules and requirements with me when photographing on and around UK railway locations.  It's only once come out of the bag.  It pays to let someone know what you're up to if that person seems to have a level of authority. It means they are aware of you, know you are not likely to be a threat and can disregard your extended presence on their platforms and spend their time managing more pressing issues.

waiting for a train at Vic Fall station in 1993 ,a Garrett no 747 ( Jumbo ) arrived with  a short train, I pulled out my sketchbook and did a quick watercolour of it . A Zimbabwean rozzer approached demanded the sketchbook and told me i was under arrest as i was not allowed to do that.

After a brief discussion and showing him the other pictures in my book ,he let me go and offered me ten dollars for the picture, I'm an internationally sold artist!

Actually I suspect that my then three year old daughter bursting into tears may have swayed his steely resolve!.

The real joke is that about ten minutes later he came over with the driver and asked my wife to take a photograph of him the driver my daughter, small and very blonde at that age , and of course Jumbo.

As EddieB points out railwaymen were usually friendly in the old eastern block countries.

In the 1970s I would regularly travel between Berlin and Leipzig by train. The route passed through a tank training area so the camera was always kept in the bag and I never took any railway pictures. Before diplomatic recognition of the GDR, around 1973 I think, it was even more important to be cautious. Traction was usually diesel at this time but I did hear a steam loco one day and arriving in Leipzig found an 01 5 on the front. I spoke to the driver and was invited into the cab. I did not risk getting the camera out at such a location.

Bernard

By the time of my first visit to the DDR in the Summer of 1978, steam was down to its last gasp in West Germany, which meant that its many pursuers turned to the delights still to be found in the East.  With a large influx of enthusiasts (especially from West Germany), the East German authorities were practically forced to adopt a more relaxed attitude.  As a result I can't remember having any run-ins with officialdom over railway photography, even at the large stations, while "hot spots" such as Saalfeld were becoming almost packed with western visitors.

Leipzig Hbf was and is a majestic terminus (termini being quite rate in Germany thanks to the dictates of Prussian militarism elsewhere), where it seemed quite incongruous to find Pacifics (01.05 and 03.20) still working the occasional passenger service.  Leastways no one appeared to notice or be concerned when I aimed my camera at an 01.05 reversing out of the station.

post-10122-0-70064900-1428076964_thumb.jpg

Never been arrested, but apparently I sparked some concern photographing trains from the roof of the ncp carpark opposite Eastbourne Station. I was waiting for a special (50-hauled) but arrived early. After about half an hour, a security guard came across from the Arndale centre - apparently someone had reported me as a potential jumper.

He was fine when I explained what I was up to, and nearer arrival time several others turned up - Eastbourne station have, or had at the time, several jobsworths who wouldnt let anyone with a camera on the platform.

Derbyshire - Three times back in the 80's - just WHAT is it with these people ? No arrests BUT,

1 Photographing from a public footpath near Great Rocks - along come two security guys - who are you, what are you taking photos of and why.

2. Hindlow, similar to above.

3. Wingfield, Householder, who what why.

All 3 cases I was on public roads or footpaths.

Glad I live in Lancashire, never had any problems here.

Simple solution - ban cameras and public rights of way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Here's the two surviving photos from China I mentioned - lost the rest when my film was taken. It was scary - gunpoint.

Was that before or after visiting the Friendship Bar?

I've still got a little red book around somewhere...

Back in the late 90's I used to regularly meet up with some friends at a foot crossing on the main Adelaide to Melbourne rail line to watch the interstate freights running through. On at least three occasions we had a visit by the local police patrols to check what we were up to. It turned out that, each time, someone who had ridden their bike through the crossing had rung 000 (Oz version of 999) to report 'suspicious foreigners' watching the trains. This was well before September 11 and all the subsequent tightening of security worldwide. The 'suspicious foreigners' were an elderly German WW2 veteran, a Canadian ex-paratrooper who served in peace keeping duties in Gaza, a Greek Australian who worked in the main city hospital and myself, an Australian of Welsh decent. A very dangerous lot!

The police officers in two of the patrols that came were friends of mine from work who just said "G'day Dave" and left. The other patrol started to check our names, thought better of it, and stayed to watch the trains and have a smoke for about half an hour. Must have been a quiet evening.

Dave

p.s. My Canadian friend could have been a risk looking back on it now! He did burn down an ice works in Gaza when he threw a phosphorus grenade at it to scare out some Palestinians who were hiding inside.

Stood on the lawn at Paddington with my son; he started taking some shots of the recently cleaned roof.

Watching intently were two BTP dog handlers and a BTP PCSO.

The PCSO strides over ............. "You can't take photos"

"Why ?"

"Security"

"What about security ?"

"You just can't take pictures"

"Would you like to read the Network Rail gudelines ?"

"No"

"What are the security implications then"

"You could be terrorists"

"Did you treat the sven-seven witnesses this way, those whose video footage and stills you used in the enquiry ?"

No reply, so on a roll I continued.

"See that bookstall over there ?"

"Yes"

"Walk to the back, and on a shelf to your right you'll find a book called Freightmaster, within its pages you will find the times and routes of spent nuclear fuel trains and MOD trains carrying ammunition..................... does that not pose an even greater security risk ?"

He turned and rejoined his two 'warranted' colleagues who were trying hard to contain themselves.

Brian R 

My employer sends me on a course to our 'head office' in Bridgend.

Lunchbreak on 26th. April, 2005 finds me on Bridgend station - recording the alterations in advance of the reopening of the Vale of Glamorgan line to passengers.

That was until Mr. I.M.A. Jobsworth caught sight of me (you'll see him striding purposefully toward the camera in the photo below).

"You can't take pictures"

"Why ?"

"Because you can't"

"Who says so ?"

"I do !"

"And if I don't stop ?"

"I'll call the police"

"What, the BTP all the way from Cardiff ?"

"Yes"

"That'll take them at least 40 minutes to get here..... I'll be back in work by then"

"Then they'll send the local police"

"And what will they do ?"

No reply - due to his authority being challenged.

I turned and walked away

"Where do you think you're going ?"

"Back to work"

"Where's that ?"

"Why, so the police can find me ?"

"Yes !"

"O.K. - South Wales Police Headquarters"

post-1599-0-15205000-1428225494_thumb.jpg

Archived