Marcus 37

Looking great already! Picture 3 certainly captures the view really well!

That cutting looks the biz too. You may have to think about lighting for that though, to get the best effect.

Now following with interest!

Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ooh! This is going to be great!

Love the Peak Forest setting, and that cutting is going to be awesome. I wonder where you got that idea from?? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

You're welcome to call in at Bakewell if you get chance mate.

Al.

Peak Forest based layout oooh yes! Looking nice Marcus. I was up there two days last week and the traffic seemed to have slackened off a little since I last did a full day up there. But still plenty of good locos and wagons to keep looking at too and its amazing how things change too in what wagons operate on the different service. For example I never really expected to see any ex-Sheerness steel JXAs working up there but yes now there is and four are in use on the Dowlow to Ashburys aggregates traffic running with three of the usual JRA RIV bogie box wagons.

Cheers Paul

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the positive comments. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it a bit more tomorrow.

Thought I would post up a few pictures of Friday's expedition. Luckily the weather was perfect for it with lovely sunshine all day.

post-18515-0-36339600-1428188511.jpg

This is No 2 ventilation shaft from Dove Holes tunnel. No 1 is very close to the entrance so I will incorporate this into the layout.

post-18515-0-53652000-1428188653.jpg

This is a view down the cutting from the footpath above the tunnel mouth looking towards Peak Forest.

post-18515-0-48271400-1428188758.jpg

A view of the loading shed in the Cemex quarry.

post-18515-0-73359800-1428188954.jpg

A Class 66 loading, to my surprise, HTA coal wagons. Obviously with the down turn in coal traffic they've found alternative uses for the wagons. So another type I can add legitimately to my fleet.

post-18515-0-18838700-1428189185.jpg

Another Class 66 but this time with ex Sheerness scrap wagons.

post-18515-0-11831600-1428189300.jpg

The road over bridge looking towards Peak Forest long sidings.

post-18515-0-07995200-1428189375.jpg

A view from the bridge looking into the Cemex Quarry

post-18515-0-66244000-1428189460.jpg

A Class 66 powering away from Peak Forest towards Dove Holes tunnel.

post-18515-0-55208400-1428189584.jpg

The old Peak Forest station building.

post-18515-0-95960700-1428189720.jpg

Class 60 departing Tunstead quarry passing Peak Forest long sidings.

post-18515-0-24746200-1428189859.jpg

A FLHH service from Ferry Bridge to Tunstead.

post-18515-0-28987700-1428190033.jpg

Another Class 60 performing a run round move on a Tunstead service.

post-18515-0-51009400-1428190129.jpg

A Washwood Heath to Peak Forest arrives before backing into the Cemex quarry.

post-18515-0-52936300-1428190260.jpg

A train load of empty box wagons arrive from Walsall.

post-18515-0-69361400-1428190338.jpg

View of Peak Forest South Signal Box.

So a good day all in all with plenty of ideas to get me going.

Will probably spend a few hours on the layout tomorrow as my tracks arrived for the main line.

I'll stick up some pictures tomorrow night if I get chance.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 19

Peak Forest based layout oooh yes! Looking nice Marcus. I was up there two days last week and the traffic seemed to have slackened off a little since I last did a full day up there. But still plenty of good locos and wagons to keep looking at too and its amazing how things change too in what wagons operate on the different service. For example I never really expected to see any ex-Sheerness steel JXAs working up there but yes now there is and four are in use on the Dowlow to Ashburys aggregates traffic running with three of the usual JRA RIV bogie box wagons.

Cheers Paul

I was quite lucky on Thursday. They was quite a bit of traffic around as you can see from the photos.

You're quite right about the wagon front. I was very surprised to see the HTA coal hoppers being used on Aggregates services.

I did see the JXAs as well. There does seem to be an upturn in Aggregates traffic at the moment. At GBRF we seem to be working more and more.

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 4

Ooh! This is going to be great!

Love the Peak Forest setting, and that cutting is going to be awesome. I wonder where you got that idea from?? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

You're welcome to call in at Bakewell if you get chance mate.

Al.

Hello Mate

Sorry I was on a bit of a tight schedule. But will pop in next time I'm up which won't be to long. Don't worry I will be delving into your thread regularly for hints and tips. Especially the tunnel mouth and two road bridges that need constructing.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Looking great already! Picture 3 certainly captures the view really well!

That cutting looks the biz too. You may have to think about lighting for that though, to get the best effect.

Now following with interest!

Jack.

Hi Jack

Thanks for the compliments. I think you're quite right about the lighting as there is quite a shadow down there. I'm also thinking of fixing a mirror to the rafters as from the operating position you can't see down into the cutting which will be a shame if it's out of site.

Hoping to get a bit more done tomorrow.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

I was quite lucky on Thursday. They was quite a bit of traffic around as you can see from the photos.

You're quite right about the wagon front. I was very surprised to see the HTA coal hoppers being used on Aggregates services.

I did see the JXAs as well. There does seem to be an upturn in Aggregates traffic at the moment. At GBRF we seem to be working more and more.

Cheers

Marcus.

Looks like you got the DBS liveried JGA at the head of the Washwood Heath empties plus I see they have had a clear up of the Down sidings next to the Cemex sidings as this wall full of a mix of boxes and hoppers when I went up. Plus the HTAs in the Up Sidings looks like they have crippled a few already! Was the sole JEA still in the Up Sidings perchance?

Cheers Paul

Were the coal hoppers definitely loaded with aggregates? I'd have thought there might be a danger of overloading, with the different densities of materials.

They look empty in the photos, and I wondered if they might be still on coal traffic, e.g. to Hope Cement, and just being "parked up" at Peak Forest. 

Not sure, just speculating.

Were the coal hoppers definitely loaded with aggregates? I'd have thought there might be a danger of overloading, with the different densities of materials.

They look empty in the photos, and I wondered if they might be still on coal traffic, e.g. to Hope Cement, and just being "parked up" at Peak Forest. 

Not sure, just speculating.

Take a look at Photo 4 in the collection of Peak Forest. You will see in that photo there is a rake being loaded. Not unusual to use different types of wagons on aggregate flows but if it's anything like Stud Farm,where I drive out of, the wagons are batch loaded so different weights can be loaded onto a specific wagon. Finally at Stud Farm we pass over a weigh bridge to ensure we are not overloaded before venturing out onto the mainline. I expect the HTAs are like the MBAs as they too can't be loaded full with aggregates. These definitely work out of Peak Forest.

The HTAs were definitely being loaded as about every ten minutes the train was drawn forward a wagon length. A very tedious job when you've got a long train.

Marcus

• Like 2