Up the creek and into the woods

I've seen a number of very small layouts which have impressed me but it was a pizza layout in BRM last year that gave me a nudge to try one myself. I bought a cheap picture frame size 580 x 475 mm to use as the frame for a layout, with foam board as a baseboard. I decided to build effectively two dioramas by dividing the area in half. Both halves were inspired by Welsh narrow gauge making 009 a fairly obvious choice of gauge. The first scene owed something to the bridge over the river at Aberystwyth on the Vale of Rheidol railway and the second scene was based on Dolgoch station on the Tallylyn Railway.

Here's a view from the top showing the two scenes.post-22411-0-39926800-1427997290_thumb.jpg

The train in Angel woods station  post-22411-0-75021600-1427998644_thumb.jpg

Strollers stop to watch the train. The woodland walk was an internet image that fiited wellpost-22411-0-24538100-1427997535_thumb.jpg

And the other side of the layoutpost-22411-0-59786100-1427997697_thumb.jpg

Crossing the viaduct. The backscene was a free downlaod I found on the internet

The boat skipper discusses the next trip with his staffpost-22411-0-11291000-1427998666_thumb.jpg

I made a lid housing LED's which has the effect of focussing attention on a single scene - you can only see one side at a time despite the fact that the modelled area is only 500 x400 mm.

All in all this gave me a lot of pleasure and is actually the first layout I've completed, although an 00 layout is well on the way.

Dave Treby  

post-22411-0-71540400-1427997971.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This layout would prove popular at smaller provincial shows, many of the visitors to these shows are interested in model making of all subjects and not just trains. You could leave a train running and find yourself on your feet for the whole day explaining how you made different parts of it!

Incidentally, it's a really lovely layout to look at too, well done!

- Richard.

Very clever and a very attractive diorama (both halves!) the photography is pretty spectacular as well. I've worked in OO9 and have noticed that as the camera zooms in every flaw in workmanship seems to be exposed. Small gaps look like gaping voids but not much of that here, this is fine detailing at its best. The operational scope of this "layout" may be a bit of a challenge but it really does appeal as a diorama. More of your modelling would be most welcome.

This layout would prove popular at smaller provincial shows, many of the visitors to these shows are interested in model making of all subjects and not just trains. You could leave a train running and find yourself on your feet for the whole day explaining how you made different parts of it!

Incidentally, it's a really lovely layout to look at too, well done!

- Richard.

As someone who organisers such a show, I would welcome it with open arms.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who organisers such a show, I would welcome it with open arms.

The layout will be at West Camel show near Yeovil next Saturday, 4th July. Unfortunately I mixed up the dates so I won't be, but the layout is.

Thank you for your kind words and sorry for the delay in replying. I've only just noticed the posts.

Archived