Slow Going

Jobs

I've been messing about with a few shelf layouts over the past years, trying to get some realism into the trackwork whilst building baseboards light enough to prevent injury. So, spurred on by the fine layouts appearing on these pages I'm taking the (for me) unusual step of starting a thread.

Please don't expect rapid progress; my job doesn't give me a lot of free time..... Hence the topic title.

The first board is nearing completion and ends at what will become the retaining wall from a demolished overbridge. I always find it difficult to model wholly fictional locations, so this is the Marton(-ish) end of the now dismantled branch that ran from Rugby to Southam cement works, with a 'run-round' to the east of Marton.

post-14634-0-14236000-1428291379_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Don't worry about being slow, there are lots of us that have been planning our layouts for years, & still haven't started. :)

(I usually get the trackwork down, then change my mind because there isn't as much operational interest as I had hoped for.)

Well, I've managed to exceed my expectations and produce a second baseboard. I have got this far once before, but failed to progress as I wasn't happy with the as bought fine scale trackwork. Hence the move to scaleseven.

The three photos show progress, and proof that the track work will hold 2x20's.

post-14634-0-19553600-1428699805_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-93369600-1428699835_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-80500000-1428699858_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A few more photos of progress. When you get a couple of loco's together you realise just how big O gauge is. Whilst it takes a bit of searching, it is rewarding to find regionally identifiable kits, in this case a LNWR buffer stop kit. All adds to the scene.

post-14634-0-04994800-1431371069_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-89452200-1431371378_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-77342100-1431371412_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I'm not approaching 11 years as an O gauge modeller and I still have not produced my own layout. Mind you, I have had a good hand in building three others!

I shouldn't worry too much. My Ixion partner, Lindsay O'Reilly who lives in Lambton NSW, has never succeeded in building a layout.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Jobs.

Fine layout and really well modelled.. I assume you are a member of the S7 group so perhaps we may meet at one of the "get togethers". If ever you are down in the South West do look us up and perhaps you can attend our monthly meets at Crediton Station Tea Rooms where I am sure you will get a warm welcome.

Although I am a member of the S7 group (my number is 26) I no longer model in S7 owing to poor eyesight. However my layout is to fine scale standards named Ramchester and progress can be followed on RMweb under 7mm modelling and The Ramchester Chronicles.

I intend to keep following your thread with great interest.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Three more shots of the structurally complete station building; no doubt all are now sick at the sight of this progress! Roof actually removes for rail cleaning, etc. All supports are upright & level... Honest... Just seems to be an effect of the iPad camera that slightly distorts the edges of an image. Weathering will be next....

Baseboard 2 in construction.....

post-14634-0-61296500-1451763548_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-21577700-1451763604_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-12527400-1451763671_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I think that's the most convincing model platform I've ever seen. The weathered brickwork, uneven surface and careworn white painted edge are spot-on. I know there's more than one way to build a platform, but out of interest, how did you do yours please?

Regards

Dan

Dan, a rather unflattering shot of woodwork and platform surface (unfinished at this end!). Essentially the platform edges are softwood with an expanded polystyrene (packaging foam) centre. I then laid a 30 thou plasticard base to the edge (secured to the wood by an epoxy), leaving the foam as laid. I actually cut the card in scale 2'x3' slabs, scarified the plastic surface and overlaid a c. 2 to 3mm layer of DAS clay over the whole surface (plastic &foam). The edging and slabs were then scribed (easier to get the finished uniformity with the edging slabs being pre-cut) and the whole lot left to dry. This leaves a solid base, but is too thick. The surface is then sanded down with a coarse sandpaper to the required slab depth. Laying the clay is actually easier than one might think, as I found I could reduce the depth laid in the first instance with practice! I have to say that the effect is quite pleasing, allows good surface textures to be achieved, and the clay is forgiving of errors. I wanted a quarried stone 'feel'; not sure how good this technique would be for representing pre-cast slabs.

Colouring is a mixture of acrylics to produce a grey, but with added brown. These quarried hard limestones often had traces of iron, which naturally rusted giving a distinctive brown-ish tinge.

The brickwork is standard embossed plasticard, with the top being built up in layers to represent the brickwork supporting the platform edge slabs.

Hope this helps!

Rod, thank you for your kind comments and offer of a visit to the West Country. I work abroad, however, which coupled to the fact that I'm not good at joining things (even the S7 group), makes any UK visit a challenge. But, thanks again for your kindness.

post-14634-0-28015300-1452028550_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dan, a rather unflattering shot of woodwork and platform surface (unfinished at this end!). Essentially the platform edges are softwood with an expanded polystyrene (packaging foam) centre. I then laid a 30 thou plasticard base to the edge (secured to the wood by an epoxy), leaving the foam as laid. I actually cut the card in scale 2'x3' slabs, scarified the plastic surface and overlaid a c. 2 to 3mm layer of DAS clay over the whole surface (plastic &foam). The edging and slabs were then scribed (easier to get the finished uniformity with the edging slabs being pre-cut) and the whole lot left to dry. This leaves a solid base, but is too thick. The surface is then sanded down with a coarse sandpaper to the required slab depth. Laying the clay is actually easier than one might think, as I found I could reduce the depth laid in the first instance with practice! I have to say that the effect is quite pleasing, allows good surface textures to be achieved, and the clay is forgiving of errors. I wanted a quarried stone 'feel'; not sure how good this technique would be for representing pre-cast slabs.

Colouring is a mixture of acrylics to produce a grey, but with added brown. These quarried hard limestones often had traces of iron, which naturally rusted giving a distinctive brown-ish tinge.

The brickwork is standard embossed plasticard, with the top being built up in layers to represent the brickwork supporting the platform edge slabs.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for a most in-depth explanation Jobs. The time and effort you put into it has certainly been worthwhile in my opinion.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 1

Now that is incredible modelling, stunning work. The bridge abutment is a work of art, but then you scroll down and see the platform, track work, wagon, the list goes on....very realistic and some of the best modelling that I have seen. Superb!

I look forward to your next update.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, all, for your kind words. Whilst Board 2 is progressing, thought I'd provide an update with a bit of stock-building. I've modified the normal Slaters 13t High to represent a diagram 1/047 wagon, with reinforced sides. These were put in use on the Kings Cross electrification scheme, mid 1970's, which will be how it is finished. Still a bit to do, but one down, four to go!

post-14634-0-58800500-1459835807_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-52512500-1459835833_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Quick update, getting on with Board 2. Made a turnout that works... A small miracle. And a photo of a Grampus from the 1970's continuing my current interest in the Ex Kings Cross electrification works; just couplings and a bit of white paint needed on the steps and brake lever.

post-14634-0-30481200-1463262882_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-93300900-1463263525_thumb.jpg

post-14634-0-08062600-1463263554_thumb.jpg

• Like 10