NEW Ltd Edition OO gauge J94 'Wilbert'

DJM Dave

DJ Models OO Gauge Model
Hunslet Austerity No.3806 “WILBERT; Rev W. Awdry O.B.E”
Limited Edition of 200 models

Hayward’s Trains is proud to announce it has commissioned a limited edition OO gauge model of Hunslet Austerity “Wilbert”, as preserved on the Dean Forest Railway.
Built in 1953, 3806 worked as a shunter at a Staffordshire colliery, being purchased for preservation by the DFR in 1976. Originally named “G.B. Keeling” in 1981, 3806 was then named after Reverend Wilbert Awdry - the president of the railway at the time and author of the popular Railway Series books – on September 13 1987.
This OO gauge model is being produced by DJ Models, utilising newly produced and fully detailed tooling. The model specifications include:
· Prototypically ‘dished’ wheels;
· Heavy tungsten split-frame chassis;
· Coreless motor;
· Correct pattern cab and bunker;
· Sprung buffers;
· NEM couplings;
· Fully detailed cab interior.
The model will be supplied DCC ready, and is a limited run of just 200 models, each supplied with a uniquely numbered certificate. The models will be available exclusively for mail order through the Dean Forest Railway shop, and will ship worldwide.
Expressions of interest should be sent to haywardstrains@gmail.com. When pre-orders are ready to be taken, you will be contacted first with these details before they open to the public.
Each model will cost £100 plus P&P; the DFR shall be receiving a minimum donation of £10 per loco sold. The model is due to be released later this year – updates, when available, shall be available via the DFR, RMWeb and direct from Hayward’s Trains upon request.

Owen Hayward

haywardstrains@gmail.com

post-1144-0-31376100-1428313121_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

DJ Models OO Gauge Model

Hunslet Austerity No.3806 “WILBERT; Rev W. Awdry O.B.E”

Limited Edition of 200 models

Hayward’s Trains is proud to announce it has commissioned a limited edition OO gauge model of Hunslet Austerity “Wilbert”, as preserved on the Dean Forest Railway.

Built in 1953, 3806 worked as a shunter at a Staffordshire colliery, being purchased for preservation by the DFR in 1976. Originally named “G.B. Keeling” in 1981, 3806 was then named after Reverend Wilbert Awdry - the president of the railway at the time and author of the popular Railway Series books – on September 13 1987.

This OO gauge model is being produced by DJ Models, utilising newly produced and fully detailed tooling. The model specifications include:

· Prototypically ‘dished’ wheels;

· Heavy tungsten split-frame chassis;

· Coreless motor;

· Correct pattern cab and bunker;

· Sprung buffers;

· NEM couplings;

· Fully detailed cab interior.

The model will be supplied DCC ready, and is a limited run of just 200 models, each supplied with a uniquely numbered certificate. The models will be available exclusively for mail order through the Dean Forest Railway shop, and will ship worldwide.

Expressions of interest should be sent to haywardstrains@gmail.com. When pre-orders are ready to be taken, you will be contacted first with these details before they open to the public.

Each model will cost £100 plus P&P; the DFR shall be receiving a minimum donation of £10 per loco sold. The model is due to be released later this year – updates, when available, shall be available via the DFR, RMWeb and direct from Hayward’s Trains upon request.

Owen Hayward

haywardstrain@gmail.com

I've sent Hayward Trains an email. This will go great with KGV, even better is that I had the Ertl diecast Wilbert when I was a kid, this brings back so many memories. You sir are awesome and I'll be reviewing this and the STEAM exclusive variation of KGV when they arrive in the mail, and I'll be sure the reviews are posted in the respecitve threads. Edited by 9402 Fredrick

Could you supply a alternate face to the smokebox. As wilbert appeared in the railway series books? Chris awdry wrote that book and continues to do so, so I suppose he must still have rights to the railway series books. Or is this effected by copyright/license?

http://thomascharactergallery.tripod.com/id7.html

Edited by Dan Griffin
  • Like 1

Could you supply a alternate face to the smokebox. As wilbert appeared in the railway series books? Chris awdry wrote that book and continues to do so, so I suppose he must still have rights to the railway series books. Or is this effected by copyright/license?

http://thomascharactergallery.tripod.com/id7.html

Egmont publishing bought the rights from Chris shortly after his father, Wilbert's passing so it's a heavy issue, plus HiT mainly own franchise rights to the show now. Anyways, back on topic, I can already tell that this will, like the STEAM exclusive KGV, sell the quickest of all the commissions, so a good idea is msg Haywards Trains as soon as possible.

I'm afraid that our friend Google has stuffed me on this one. It asks me to sign in, OK, then gives me "invalid request". B****r. Can't even find a web site for them. I'll try DFR.

Edited by Catweasel

I'm not on mobile. My phone is used only for calls.

Probably should just copy the email address and then, whatever your main email address is just choose compose message and past it into the spot for who will receive said email, the rest is the usual choose subject then tyle message and the send.

The option of a face from the books would be excellent.

Now if the KESR could just commission Dave to do Northian, I would be in 7th heaven. Dam, I,ll probably commission Dave on their behalf soon....

• Like 1

Hi All

First off, thanks to those who have already expressed their interest.

I'm still in "setup" mode at the moment, but I wanted to get this announced now so that people are aware of it in good time. (And so I can see how big a mistake I am making!!) I shan't be anything big like the major retailers we all know and love, but I am setting up a model railway department within the shop on the Epping Ongar line - unless things go pear shaped.

'Wilbert' has always been a firm favourite loco of mine, and as there has yet to be a model of 3806, I thought I'd take a leap and do it myself to start my venture off.

Unfortunately, to add a face would mean it is a Thomas character, and thus cannot be offered I'm afraid.

Anyone having trouble getting in touch with the email, please drop me a PM and I'll help where I can.

Thanks and regards

Owen Hayward

Hi All

First off, thanks to those who have already expressed their interest.

I'm still in "setup" mode at the moment, but I wanted to get this announced now so that people are aware of it in good time. (And so I can see how big a mistake I am making!!) I shan't be anything big like the major retailers we all know and love, but I am setting up a model railway department within the shop on the Epping Ongar line - unless things go pear shaped.

'Wilbert' has always been a firm favourite loco of mine, and as there has yet to be a model of 3806, I thought I'd take a leap and do it myself to start my venture off.

Unfortunately, to add a face would mean it is a Thomas character, and thus cannot be offered I'm afraid.

Anyone having trouble getting in touch with the email, please drop me a PM and I'll help where I can.

Thanks and regards

Owen Hayward

No worries Owen, I'm just glad that we're finally getting a model of probably the most well known Austerity tank in existence, a review of it will be made when I get my layout back up and running and when the model arrives at my house of residence :).

• RMweb Gold

Very very nice - an excellent choice Owen and Dave...now I don't need one but as Wilbert was always my favourite Railway Series character I think I'm going to have to order one...any chance of an 0 gauge version...pretty please?!

No worries Owen, I'm just glad that we're finally getting a model of probably the most well known Austerity tank in existence, a review of it will be made when I get my layout back up and running and when the model arrives at my house of residence :).

Rubbish, Whiston is the best known Austerity tank in existence.... or at least that's what it's owner would have you believe ;)

Now now, if you want a really good Austerity then RSH 7169 (Mech Navvies) is a tough cookie to beat, steams like a demon and pulls really well for a standard austerity. The only one I've come across that could beat it was 'Wheldale' which could suck the dampers shut when put into big valve but that had the kylpor exhaust!

However, I am comparing the 12" : 1ft versions so probably not a good comparison on this thread! :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone will complement this one with a model of 16? (Homemade of course, I don't see anyone commissioning it)

Anyway email sent about reserving one if there are any left to be reserved.