Wiring 2 speakers with Loksound V4.

irishthump

Guys,

I am installing a Loksound V4 into a US outline F7. There is plenty of room for the decoder and speaker in the F7 A unit but I'm thinking of placing a second speaker inside the dummy B unit. I believe this is possible but I'm not sure of how the speakers would need to be wired, in series or in parallel.

Also, would I need to restrict volume when using 2 speaker?

If the speakers are very close to one another then yes, but less likely if one on top of the loco and one underneath. Always worth swapping the wires to one to compare though, just in case.

Like I said the speakers will be far enough apart, they'll each be in a different loco shell.

Thanks, Biffo.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use two 4 ohm speakers connect them in series. If you use two 8 ohm speakrers, connect them in parallel. There should be no need to restrict volume in either case.

Hi,

A question regarding speakers, if I have 2 loco's coupled together one powered with an 8 ohm speaker, one dummy with an 8 ohm speaker through wired on 1 V4 sound chip, which way would be best if they became disconnected to prevent damage to the sound decoder?

Ian

Wire them in parallel, presenting a 4 ohm load to the chip. If the second speaker becomes disconnected the chip will see a load of 8 ohms (still ok, but quieter). This will also mean that you can run the chipped loco on its own. If you wired them in series (still ok but much quieter given the 16 ohm load) as soon as you disconnected the second loco then both would fall silent!

One very important point though; on the interconnecting cable, make sure that the loco with the chip has the female socket. That way if the connector separates and touches anything it won't short and damage the chip.

I once came across the exact same issue with an electric lawnmower at a relatives house which someone had fitted with one of those two-pin extension leads. Problem was that if you pulled the extension apart the two exposed pins were live! Same principle applies.

Bif

• RMweb Gold

Wire them in parallel, presenting a 4 ohm load to the chip. If the second speaker becomes disconnected the chip will see a load of 8 ohms (still ok, but quieter). This will also mean that you can run the chipped loco on its own. If you wired them in series (still ok but much quieter given the 16 ohm load) as soon as you disconnected the second loco then both would fall silent!

One very important point though; on the interconnecting cable, make sure that the loco with the chip has the female socket. That way if the connector separates and touches anything it won't short and damage the chip.

I once came across the exact same issue with an electric lawnmower at a relatives house which someone had fitted with one of those two-pin extension leads. Problem was that if you pulled the extension apart the two exposed pins were live! Same principle applies.

Bif

Hi Bif,

Must remember to think about the phase situation as well.

One of my CL26's with 2 speakers was quieter than the other.

So - checking the loud one showed that I had set it up OK - then looked at the other and had reversed the speaker connections.

Changed that and the loco is now as loud as the other.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Someone asked me direct what was meant by  'phasing' and why it can reduce sound levels.

Without getting too technical! (look up loudspeaker theory on google for more)

To achieve the best sound - the speakers should be in phase with each other.

This means that the sounds are better as the air is being moved in the same direction in all the speakers.

If they are out of phase - the sounds fight each other because they are trying to move the air in opposite directions.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

May I ask what phasing is? Just about to put 2 sugarcubes in my 128 bif. As I understand it these are to be wired in parallel

When a signal is applied to a loudspeaker the cone moves in and out. When two speakers in relatively close proximity are fed with the same signal they need to be wired such that the cones both move in the same direction at the same time (ie in phase). If they are wired out of phase the cones move in opposite directions and effectlively cancel one another out. The end result is a weak, thin sound.

However, you don't need to worry too much about the theory. Wire the speakers in parallel and have a listen. Then reverse the connections to one of them and listen again. The difference should be fairly obvious. Just use the connection that sounds the best. I suspect that sugar cubes are less affected by phasing but it's always worth the check.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Archived