Operating single rail Trap/Catch points

MarkAustin

As in, I have a couple of these beasties needed for Cockett, and I'm thinking about operating them. Obviously, you cannot have and above-board tie bar as there's nothing to fix the other end to and it will just flap in the breeze.

I don't, for good and sufficient reasons to do with baseboard design want to use a below board tie bar.

I'm leaning to drilling a hole through the web of both the fixed and movable rail, feeding the operating wire through and soldering to the movable rail, possible after bending an "L" in it.

Has anyone tried this, or, indeed, has anyone any better ideas than this.

-- 
Mark Austin

Manual lever frame and wire-in-tube, probably Modratek.

Mark

Solder a wire to the underside of the switch, solder a length of  tube which is a close fit on the wire to a crank such that the tube will just reach to the top of the baseboard, and operate the crank via wire in tube.  The tube will re-enforce the wire and keep it from flexing.

I have two single switch trap points, both on the came turnout and worked together.

post-25077-0-78438900-1428429792.jpg

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi FineN trak do - if you ask, a catchpoint single blade kit, I used Wayne`s copper clad above baseboard tiebar and his "natty" plates and pivot hole scheme the bladeless end had a plate soldered to it to slide under the continious stock rail. works a treat

I am sure using spigotless chairs on a base would enable a 9.42 mm gauge catch to be made up.   

Robert

Hi FineN trak do - if you ask, a catchpoint single blade kit, I used Wayne`s copper clad above baseboard tiebar and his "natty" plates and pivot hole scheme the bladeless end had a plate soldered to it to slide under the continious stock rail. works a treat

I am sure using spigotless chairs on a base would enable a 9.42 mm gauge catch to be made up.   

Robert

Do you have a link. I couldn't find it on a web search.

Mark A

Archived