Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Locomotion Models and Rapido Models have just announced that they are working together to produce exclusive OO gauge models of the legendary GNR Stirling 'Single' No. 1. The model will be produced in four version with either Stirling or Sturrock tenders, with or without DCC sound. Laser-scanning of the prototype is taking place at Locomotion in Shildon today! Here's what has been reported so far on http://www.locomotionmodels.com/

Look out here and in the June edition of BRM for more information.

"Locomotionmodels.com and the National Railway Museum in proud association with Rapido Trains Inc. are pleased to announce the production of the GNR Stirling Single No.1 in ‘00’ Gauge. This highly detailed locomotive is the latest in the exclusive range of models that make up the ‘National Collection in Miniature’.

Initially, there will be two model variants of the GNR Stirling Single No.1 both being also available with ‘Sound’. The first model will feature the Sturrock tender, while the second model will be paired with the locomotive’s original and current tender.

DCC Ready with Sturrock Tender click here
DCC Sound with Sturrock Tender click here
DCC Ready with Original/Current Tender click here
DCC Sound with Original/Current Tender click here

Models will be available Autumn 2016

-end-

post-22012-0-50312400-1428491300_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Excellent news. Bulking at the price; but not unexpected and palatable for such a lovely loco.

Jason - would there be any chance of producing a limited number of 'spare' tenders - for those of us torn between her 'working' life in preservation and her correct appearence? Or indeed offering a third 'varient' of the model with both tenders?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I am intrigued to see how it develops

Bachmann make a G scale Emily in their TTTE range which is based on the single. They have made the loco in effect a 4-4-0 instead of a 4-2-2 and both the big driving wheel and the trailing axle are powered (with suitable gearing so the different size wheels turn at the same track speed). It results in a smooth running stable and reasonably powerful loco

• RMweb Gold

And for modeller's of the modern scene don't forget the moves between Southall and Waterloo where she was on the main line.

WCRC Class 47 / Stirling Single / Wooden Saloon car / Mk1 (SO/SK?) / Mk1 BG / 2 x Class 08 / WCRC Class 47

...but you will need to take the chimney off as it was out of gauge.

I will place my order next week as I have hit the limit on the credit card.  Look forward to seeing this in about 18months time.

It will give me some time to allocate funds. 

I have the Bachmann HO Emily and that has the same as the G scale. Large wheel and trailing (bogie) wheel are driven/geared.

This was in the process of becoming GNR 1003.

Mark in oz

Ok Rapido, now you've sparked my interest! Alas poor Wallet, I knew him well.....

Sound...... no sound, sound..... no sound......??

An interesting model.  Perhaps there needs to be some research into what other stock would allow such a loco to appear on a layout, other that in preserved mode.  ie did they end up on secodary passenger services in later years?  What would be suitable coaching stock and what would be the right sort of accompanying freight loco?

A nice loco, but not for me.......

Shame.......

Looks  to make a great model but surely it should be much cheaper only having a single driver .I make it out that if Hornby and Bachmann charge 100 quid for an 0-6-0 then the single should come out at about 35 quid .

• Like 1

It will no doubt be a beautiful model.  If it is as good as it should be given the price - and it is a good price for a good model - then perhaps they will consider scanning the loco that she is standing next to - GWR 2-8-0 No 2818!  Much more to my liking!

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see how they make it, as there are many subtleties in the design to trap the unwary (e.g. square section spokes). In reality, these engines have near zero clearances at the front end, with tight fitting bogie splashers and brake rigging outside of the driving and trailing engine wheels - all this will probably be helped by doing it in OO. Treating it as an 0-6-2 wthout side rods is a reasonable starting point, with no pivoting bogie at the front.

It will be especially good to see it with the correct tender, although I wonder if the splashers should be filled in for this combination of engine & tender. These engines, and No1 in particular, went through many changes in their lives (what's new!) so for true prototype accuracy at an historic time point you need to do a lot of research. Either way, if they just copy the engine in its current preserved form, then that will suit me just fine and hopefully look good next to my 2mm scale version.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Following on from previous NRM specials, I would expect it to represent the loco as preserved and has it has been preserved for over 100 years and ran in traffic for much less than that, preserved form is how it is best known. Not many people model GNR pre 1907 so the market for "in traffic" condition will be tiny compared to "as preserved".

It will certainly be a challenge as I know one or two folk who have thought long and hard about doing a kit and have run out of space and clearances in etched design.

Some compromises will be needed and it will be very interesting to see how this gets along.

I,ve ordered one, though this time I went for non sound as it is more of a shelf queen model for me. I personally find it a bit pricy but understand there are some engineering challenges to face as well as accuracy.

No 1 will be Rapidos first choo choo it seems...