Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Why? Hornbys new one is superb.

It's OK - but a £300ish version scanned from the real thing and made to Rapido standards would be much better!

I do wonder about the wheels on the proposed model of No.1 - not only will it look like it is standing on tip-toes as an OO model but part of its charm is the very delicate nature of those 8' diameter driving wheels.  They will just look far too clumsy in OO not to mention the compromises required to get over scale depth flanges into a very tight splasher - and then there are the clearances around the bogie already mentioned.  It will certainly present Rapido with a challenge!

• RMweb Gold

I can't see many people paying £300+ for it.

Based on what ? The Single is £199 and the sound is £289.

For many this has been a wanted loco for a long time, it's a difficult one to scratchbuild and motor.

As we don't know how many they intend to make for the selling price how do you know how many they need to sell to recoup their costs and over what timescale.

I can imagine the threads if it's released and sells out and people say they should of made more..

• Like 4

I can't see many people paying £300+ for it......

It's priced at £199 (non-sound), not £300+

"Many people" ?  I'm not sure of your point?

If it's being produced using the usual business model, it'll be a limited production run, so they only have to sell what they plan to make.

Has the order closing date been mentioned yet?

....It makes me wonder when they will be ready to do the dynamometer coach in plastic (and who will be brave enough to take that on).  

Only D&S are known to have released a (brass) kit for it. No plans to do another run, unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

For many this has been a wanted loco for a long time, it's a difficult one to scratchbuild and motor.

As we don't know how many they intend to make for the selling price how do you know how many they need to sell to recoup their costs and over what timescale.

I can imagine the threads if it's released and sells out and people say they should of made more..

It's priced at £199 (non-sound), not £300+

"Many people" ?  I'm not sure of your point?

I think the £300 price was a reference to a 28xx produced by Rapido as proposed by Bulwell Hall.

• RMweb Gold

I think the £300 price was a reference to a 28xx produced by Rapido as proposed by Bulwell Hall.

You could be right.

I presumed it was about the single as this thread is about it and it's the only one with a quoted selling price.

No, it's not just you. I'm presuming the Kitmaster model (of my youth) had the small tender ...

It did - I still have a Kitmaster model, and this announcement has put an end to thoughts about the 'how to' of motorisation. I was thinking an 0-6-2 design for enough flexibility with close fitting detail lke the bogie splasher, the 'bogie' element compensated but not pivotting : seen this used in the long ago in EM and a good working model resulted.

It  looks superior with the 'full size' tender, which is what it worked with in normal service. This only goes to emphasise the work these machines did: it needed a tender that size for the coal and water capacity. The missing effect with such a machine running isn't the sound in my opinion, it is the volcanic eruption at the chimney top! Some of the best photos I have of these running in service are in Michael Vann's Illustrated History of GN signalling. You get to compare express service exhaust of Single, Atlantic and Pacifics: the 8 footer had the exhaust to end all exhausts...

• Like 3

You could be right.

I presumed it was about the single as this thread is about it and it's the only one with a quoted selling price.

I have just received Locomotion's Great Northern C1. I model the Furness not the Great Noirthern, except incidentally, but just had to have this iconic engine. I imagine the Stirling single will be to similar standards, which will be wonderful.I cannot understand why some people complain about the price: to have one of these built and paintedto professional standards would cost well over £1500! Let us encourage the manufacyure of pre-grouping stock say I, and I will be puttoing my money where my mouth is 

• Like 1

I have just received Locomotion's Great Northern C1. I model the Furness not the Great Northern, except incidentally, but just had to have this iconic engine. I imagine the Stirling single will be to similar standards, which will be wonderful.I cannot understand why some people complain about the price:  to have one of these built and painted to professional standards would cost well over £1500! Let us encourage the manufacture of pre-grouping stock say I, and I will be putting my money where my mouth is 

Edited by PaulR

The era this loco is from is correct, but it's way outside my area of operation (see my avatar for a clue to my preferences) but I'm probably going to try and afford one anyway. The Stirlings are damn fine looking engines. I do have one of the old Kitmaster models built up with a K's tender drive unit but it hasn't worked in years.

Dave

p.s. - This will most likely halve the value of my two unbuilt Kitmaster models. :(  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For many this has been a wanted loco for a long time, it's a difficult one to scratchbuild and motor.

I can imagine the threads if it's released and sells out and people say they should of made more..

I was indeed referring to Bulwell Halls post about a new 28xx to replace Hornbys new 2010 release.

The era this loco is from is correct, but it's way outside my area of operation.

It's way outside the era I prefer, way outside the area I prefer, and not even in my preferred scale! But I'm still considering getting one, even if I have to build a layout around it! 

Maybe I could build a model based on the Railway Children set(!)

Edited by iamjamie
  • Like 1

It did - I still have a Kitmaster model, and this announcement has put an end to thoughts about the 'how to' of motorisation. I was thinking an 0-6-2 design for enough flexibility with close fitting detail lke the bogie splasher, the 'bogie' element compensated but not pivotting : seen this used in the long ago in EM and a good working model resulted.

The 0-6-2 configuration is an interesting idea and sounds feasible. I almost wonder if a flexible power coupling (universal joints or similar) between locomotive and tender to motorizing the drivers and the tender wheels might be a sensible way to power a model like this?

It'll be a lovly looking loco in sure. The dcc ready price puts me off a little, being the same price as the Heljan Garrett , a bigger loco with two motors.

Understandably so, but the Garrett was released a couple of years ago when prices were different.

Heading out.....

I'm about to head over to the Manchester airport and the flight(s) back home. It has been an amazing and productive trip! Thanks to Arran and Charlie for being my chauffeurs for the first few days and for putting up with me, and to the entire staff of locomotionmodels.com and the NRM/Shildon for their help in making this all possible. 

On the way back through Darlington yesterday I was able to stop in and see a group of guys who were building a Large Scale loco kit. Oddly, they didn't seem to have any instructions.... 

post-10397-0-20913600-1428649238_thumb.jpg

More on our blog next week.

Thanks all!

Bill

post-10397-0-60084500-1428649261_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It'll be a lovly looking loco in sure. The dcc ready price puts me off a little, being the same price as the Heljan Garrett , a bigger loco with two motors.

Personally, I buy timber by the foot, not model locomotives.

John

• Like 1

Is the axle behind the driving axle fixed or is it a pony truck? Perhaps they will make that a powered wheel too? Or traction tyres?

It's a radial truck, but if you make that rigid in the frames, in order to drive it, then your 0-8-0 will need non existent clearance at the front end.

The trailing axle is fixed according to the GA I have. 

If they don't skimp on the lining, that alone will justify the price to me (of the Single next to the unlined Garrett). (They won't, will they...?)

I resisted, but now I've placed my order. It'll look good on SR!

I only ever saw the Single once, when I was a small child. It was staggering, even when static as it was. I have no memory of the tender, however, so yesterday I saw the (photos of the) tenders with a fresh eye. Purely for myself, the smaller one was completely wrong, out of proportion. Since the preserved engine only ever had a 'wrong' tender because there wasn't a 'right' one available (have I got that right?), I'm certainly not going to buy the less attractive tender because it's technically 'correct' for the era I model. I imagine that, like me, most people will write their own history and buy their tender for aesthetics rather than authenticity in this case.

All that lining, over the driving wheels... And all that front-facing lining... Oh yum yum. Who needs driving wheels by the dozen when for the same price you can have that colour? And the size! But it's the quality, not the quantity, that I'll be paying for!

By the way (and this is a drum I will bang at every opportunity): something (beautifully varnished!) to go behind this engine will have me digging even deeper into my pocket!

Edited by SamTom
  • Like 4

...On the way back through Darlington yesterday I was able to stop in and see a group of guys who were building a Large Scale loco kit...

Did they mention to you that this design is the fourth generation development of the Stirling single? Not least of the reasons that folks like me are interested in having a model of the Single is its importance as the genesis of the true path to maximum power express locomotives in the UK. This single introduces to the UK the correct front end configuration of a bogie with the cylinder between the bogie wheels, in combination with a carrying wheel behind the drivers. An extra driver expands it naturally into the  Ivatt Atlantic (model just arriving courtesy of Bachmann) which brings into general UK use the wide firebox; the large boiler of which is readily developed for high superheat. Another pair of driving wheels and there is the Gresley pacific template, which sets the pattern for all subsequent successful maximum power UK express locos thereafter, from Stanier, Bulleid, Peppercorn and Riddles. And a few 'spin offs' such as the 2-6-2, 2-8-2 and 2-10-0.

Aesthetically, the continuity of this development is visually apparent in all the successful Doncaster designs in this series, the lovely ogee curvature of the footplating for example. It would be good to know what it was at Doncaster that maintained this aesthetic achievement covering designs spread out over roughly 80 years.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 6