Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I'll erm, I'll just leave these here I think!

post-7895-0-69006100-1428674839.jpg

post-7895-0-03209200-1428674830.jpg

Taken by my dad in September 1985, I was there, and do remember it but was a little small to be trusted with his camera!  I think it'll be the Sturrock tenrder version for me as that's the most relevant for the loco running on preserved lines, and how I've seen her in action myself.  I'll have to scour the various producers of loco crews to find a driver who looks like the late John Bellwood!

Cheers

J

• Like 14

So much happening at Shildon. In view of the prices being asked, can the Locomotion chap on here tell us about the quantities being produced of all these models as I am considering this as an investment.

Not unconnected, I spoke to the American chap about the APT-E at the York show and he categorically assured me that they will only make the exact amount as ordered by April 30th, plus maybe 2 or 3 extras for damages or spares. They're won't be any re-runs as I was specifically asking about that in case a weathered version or such may be made later if loads of people who missed out rock up.

The reason I ask is that I have been caught out in the past with limited editions such as 97201 Experiment, Heljan Falcon and the shanks Freighliner Class 66 and don't want to get stung again. Not suggesting this will be the same but would like all this made clear. Can't find such info on the ordering website. Ta

So much happening at Shildon. In view of the prices being asked, can the Locomotion chap on here tell us about the quantities being produced of all these models as I am considering this as an investment.

Not unconnected, I spoke to the American chap about the APT-E at the York show and he categorically assured me that they will only make the exact amount as ordered by April 30th, plus maybe 2 or 3 extras for damages or spares. They're won't be any re-runs as I was specifically asking about that in case a weathered version or such may be made later if loads of people who missed out rock up.

The reason I ask is that I have been caught out in the past with limited editions such as 97201 Experiment, Heljan Falcon and the shanks Freighliner Class 66 and don't want to get stung again. Not suggesting this will be the same but would like all this made clear. Can't find such info on the ordering website. Ta

The primary purpose of the pre-order system is to ensure that the production run is tailored as precisely as possible to the demand. The precise number shouldn't matter as they are not numbered/certificated models and the quantity may well be commercially confidential between the manufacturer and his customer. Since there won't be shelves awash with unsold models, your purchase should be a pretty good investment, although of course there are no guarantees. If, however, there are frustrated modellers who didn't pre-order and are willing to pay big money just to get one, you could find yourself in possession of something that is sought-after. Second or subsequent runs of models are generally a risky business. There may appear to be lots of demand but with minimum runs generally in four figures a manufacturer could find himself second time around, taking 1,000 models and only selling a few dozen, hence the pre-order, one production run system.

CHRIS LEIGH

Does any one with previous experience of Locomotion Models know if you can change your delivery address at a later date? I'd love to pre-order it, but I'll be in a different house (with more room for a model railway of course!).

Edited by iamjamie

Is this a pre order only Loco anyway ? I haven't seen that stated anywhere prior to the above postings ? Surely Locomotion would want some to sell in their shop as well ?

The Rapido web site says.....

"The Stirling Single will be a Special Edition.

Reserve your model now through Locomotion.com.

Limited production. Reserve your model now to avoid disappointment".

Small correction (or big correction depending on your point of view) they are Canadian, not American.

Is this a pre order only Loco anyway ? I haven't seen that stated anywhere prior to the above postings ? Surely Locomotion would want some to sell in their shop as well ?

Hopefully I'll have a video to upload later which covers this aspect with Brian Greenwood, it's intended that it's not just pre-order but some stock may be subsequently available. Slightly different from Rapido's usual business model.

• RMweb Premium

Small correction (or big correction depending on your point of view) they are Canadian, not American.

:offtopic:  Our colonial friends can get a bit touchy if you don't address them correctly :jester: (he says with in his best Mr Cholmondley-Warner voice)

Most Canadians get quite offended if you call the 'Americans' particularly when the incumbent of the White House is someone like George W Bush.

You also need to be careful when hearing someone with a 'Australian' accent as they may actually come from New Zeeland.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Does any one with previous experience of Locomotion Models know if you can change your delivery address at a later date? I'd love to pre-order it, but I'll be in a different house (with more room for a model railway of course!).

I have found Locomotion models service to be very friendly and helpful so I am sure you can go ahead and order with confidence. 

It'll be a lovly looking loco in sure. The dcc ready price puts me off a little, being the same price as the Heljan Garrett , a bigger loco with two motors.

It isn't the size of the loco that decides the price though. Design cost for large or small locos are roughly the same, (as is manufacturing cost, though addition of more fiddley bits will put costs up). It is the market that decides the price. A loco built for a run of 200 has the design costs spread over 200 models; if 2000 are produced that cost is spread over 10x more thus the selling price could be lower. (I have no idea of the numbers involved on this model, just demonstrating the point).

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I think someone did exactly that with an order for a C1.  You could send a PM to LocomotionatShildon to check.

Edited by teaky

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Our colonial friends can get a bit touchy if you don't address them correctly :jester: (he says with in his best Mr Cholmondley-Warner voice)

Most Canadians get quite offended if you call the 'Americans' particularly when the incumbent,bent of the White House is someone like George W Bush.

You also need to be careful when hearing someone with a 'Australian' accent as they may actually come from New Zeeland.

And us New Zealanders get VERY annoyed at being referred to as Aussies haha

Rapido is a Canadian company, run by Canadians, except that Bill Schneider who was at Shildon on Wednesday and whose pet project is the Stirling Single - IS an American! Bill has a GWR branch line layout at his home in Connecticut.

Rapido is a Canadian company, run by Canadians, except that Bill Schneider who was at Shildon on Wednesday and whose pet project is the Stirling Single - IS an American! Bill has a GWR branch line layout at his home in Connecticut.

Who. Me?

post-10397-0-16460200-1428712180_thumb.jpg

See, we're a huge Multi-National with employees in three countries on two continents..... And we're all just short of certifiable in our own ways. Except Jason of course, he's not short.. he's past. :>)

Bill

• Like 13

I changed address and country and thus increased postage but lost VAT, all was worked out and funds exchanged for the difference once the maths had been sorted. I can not speak highly enough of the service offered by Sandra throughout the changing of the order.

Richard

It was a great day up at Shildon and my thanks to everyone for the time and courtesy afforded.

The following video sees Brian Greenwood and Simon Kohler talk about Simon's role as Locomotion Models manager and the choice of the Stirling Single, Bill answers questions about some of the engineering challenges, we get to meet Sandra who numerous readers now know and Craig Crane (doublecee of this parish) of Motion Associates explains the scanning process and gives a first glimpse of the 3D image generated.

Apologies for the sound quality from filming in a busy museum hall (I just don't have the right mics for that kind of work) so you may need to tweak your speaker volume. There's also some RF interference from the electronics in the scanning section I'm afraid.

So, the availability issue is very clear.

The model is Pre-order only for the time being.
They will only be making enough Sterling Singles to meet the pre-orders. [edit: They will only be making enough to fulfil the agreed volume]

If demand and/or rate of take-up warrants it, due consideration will be given to a second batch. There is no guaranteed of a second batch this point in time.

As Brian Greenwood says, they would hope that it would become a perennial seller in future years, but that is currently just a hope.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Hopefully I'll have a video to upload later which covers this aspect with Brian Greenwood, it's intended that it's not just pre-order but some stock may be subsequently available. Slightly different from Rapido's usual business model.

I'm afraid that was as clear as mud as to the format of the offer. Pre-orders, quantity limits, re-runs etc.

Mr Greenwood said at 8 mins in: "decision not yet taken". To be honest, for those considering purchase as an investment (don't criticise me for that, money's good as anyone's) it really needs to be a clear and concise offer at launch. Not really good enough and a politician type answer. My purchasing decision 'will not yet be taken' until we get clarification. I don't want to get stung again, as I said before.

The APT is clear. Why not this one? Just say one way or the other. To mind this means there will be reruns but they don't want to say too loudly in case it slows or devalues the initial demand. So why not just say this is not limited on the website instead of being vague?

So, the availability issue is very clear.

The model is Pre-order only for the time being.They will only be making enough Sterling Singles to meet the pre-orders.

If demand and/or rate of take-up warrants it, due consideration will be given to a second batch. There is no guaranteed of a second batch this point in time.

As Brian Greenwood says, they would hope that it would become a perennial seller in future years, but that is currently just a hope.

Still not clear to me. Throwing in words like only, time being, future years, doesn't help.

Didn't someone say they will be made available in the shop. Those obviously aren't pre-orders!

I reckon, this will be freely available and they will leave the option open for more. Just say so in plain English.

Edited by Igor

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure why Locomotion should be clear (incidentally I thought Brian Greenwood was pretty clear) just to suit a presumably limited number of purchasers who hope to make a profit on a limited run.

Nothing wrong with making a profit per se, but that is clearly not the aim of Locomotion (to enable people to do that).

Cheers, Mike

Still not clear to me. Throwing in words like only, time being, future years, doesn't help.

Didn't someone say they will be made available in the shop. Those obviously aren't pre-orders!

I reckon, this will be freely available and they will leave the option open for more. Just say so in plain English.

As far as I have read or heard, nobody has said they will be freely available in the shop.

I agree that the video was very clear. Agreement or a decision on producing a second run hasn't yet taken place and will depend on the success of the initial batch.

I wouldn't worry about the price. If there is to be another batch, they are more likely to cost more next time round and it's not as if they will be going on general sale elsewhere. They will remain a Locomotion exclusive model.