Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

IMHO The surface seems quite bumpy in these scans. Photos are quite smooth in comparison.

Yes, these are clearly the first views of the scan results prior to any cleaning up and division into build sequence, e.g. separating what will be moulded from individually fitted detail parts.

I quite like the fact that Rapido have shown this step.  It is interesting to see a model evolve.

This image is a render.

scan1_f.jpg

This image is a screen shot of the screen displaying a render, taken with a camera

scan2_f.jpg

The lumpiness (exagerated by the high contrast of the screen photo above) is an artifact caused by the very reflective and glossy nature of the stirling, as well as the deep blacks on the smokebox and cylinders.

The laser works by hitting a surface and reporting back a points distance. The minute you have to measure / scan anything that is super shiny, black or wet then the return on the laser is not as high a quality than say scanning a dirty old dusty diesel (which would result in a stellar return). Sadly, preservationists do like their polish and fresh paint jobs.

• Like 1

The lumpiness (exagerated by the high contrast of the screen photo above) is an artifact caused by the very reflective and glossy nature of the stirling, as well as the deep blacks on the smokebox and cylinders.

The laser works by hitting a surface and reporting back a points distance. The minute you have to measure / scan anything that is super shiny, black or wet then the return on the laser is not as high a quality than say scanning a dirty old dusty diesel (which would result in a stellar return). Sadly, preservationists do like their polish and fresh paint jobs.

Very interesting to see this stage of research. Top marks to Rapido for going public :-)

Also interesting is the 'flaky' nature of the rear end of the cab sheets/handrails, and the rear of the safety valves. In my ignorant mind this helps explain why we have seen various 'errors' in laser scanned models - if the interpolation during the clean-up is not done by someone with intimate knowledge of the original loco, it is not hard to see how mistakes creep in, especially on curved or high gloss surfaces like domes, cab cut outs and chimneys.

Surely this puts paid to the idea trumpeted by some on rmweb and elsewhere that laser scanning automatically equals accurate, definitive starting points for models....

Surely this puts paid to the idea trumpeted by some on rmweb and elsewhere that laser scanning automatically equals accurate, definitive starting points for models....

I disagree entirely with that statement.

What you are looking at is a SOLID obj model that is created from the Raw Point cloud. As a consequence, noise gets either deleted or heavily filtered as you work towards generating a polygonal model. Sometimes its best to keep that npoise rather than lose it as it will give the CAD engineer an idea of whats going on in that area, as oppossed to him having to guess due to omitted data.

Further more, if the CAD engineer requires those handrails in the cleanest possible manner, then instead of using data that is a registration of some 70+ scans, we can just process the one scan position of interest, which obviously does not have any noise associated from the other 69 scans. 

How do I best explain this?

Well, if you scan a chrome pole from face on, then you do get a good scan, but the data towards the edges as the angle between the scanner and pole become oblique, and you end up with a weird feathering or scatter

Now, imagine in order to do a full 360 degrees around the pole you have to do 6 scans. No you have errors from that weird edging in every scan.

Typically with dull surfaces or matte objects, this is easily remedied. But which anything super reflective, you can find useable data nested with the bad artifacts and its extremely time consuming to address. Now, multiply that one poles worth of issues with something very big, shiny and glossy with few dull parts.

So, the basic model gives the Engineer a good profile to trace from, and then should he desire just the cab hand rails (for example, he wants a better idea of what the hand rails are doing by the cab), then we would go back to the RAW data for that particular scan (lets say that would be NRM_SS_SCAN_052), then I would just process that singular scan as oppossed to the sum of all the scans.

So the model you see is a combination of 70 plus scans, warts and all. Patches under the cylinder are a typical example of us returning to the NRM just to get that area again, as it was totally blown out from the original scan, as was the area of the smoke box. The black paint literally ate all of the laser and three very little back, if anything. Unlike the recent scan of a famous and much talked about Electric loco that we scanned, whose bogies and Battery boxes were also black but gave us a good solve, our beloved Stirling Single really liked to absorb pretty much all of the laser. Anyone with a red laser pen can try this out for themselves on the Single if they wish.

" if the interpolation during the clean-up is not done by someone with intimate knowledge of the original loco"

When you spend that much time scanning a film set, vehicle, location or loco, (10 hours in the case of the stirling) you not only map it virtually but you also map it in your mind as well to a fantastic level. So when it comes to working with the point cloud, we always ensure that he who scanned it, processes it. Thats because the operator will have very intimate knowledge of the loco's form (if not the history).

So, it only really puts paid to the idea if in fact you have enough understanding of the process to put the results into context. 

The Pre Cad model is the first stage. Should the CAD engineer have blocked out his outline and now really wants to get into detail like the Valve Gear, then a request will be submitted and ONLY the scans that pertain to that area are processed, resulting in less lumps or noise.

Hope that makes sense

The somewhat fuzzy raw scans reminded me of pictures of the Titanic - similar colour and rust/sub-marine growth....

Due to the alternate tender option I suspect this will not be a tender drive - however in line with Bachmann On30 locos I've recently acquired it's possible that the tender will have pickup on all wheels and will house the speaker for the DCC sound fitted versions.

Rapido also states that it will be designed to negotiate 2nd radius curves....good luck to the designers!

Good news.  If I can scrape together the deposit before the pre-order cut-off, I shall hope to be the proud owner of one in due course. For coaches, at least from the 1890s, I wondered if anyone had experience of the Diagram 3D range?

It is one Hell of a choice for the first steam outline model, but I have complete faith in Rapido; if they say they will do it, I am sure that they will do it, and to an exacting standard.

I am really impressed with them for doing this.  Hardwicke next?

Guest spet0114

Hardwicke was only fifth in the recent poll, behind the J69, SECR 737 and a couple of others. Gladstone was quite high up the list too.

Good news.  If I can scrape together the deposit before the pre-order cut-off, I shall hope to be the proud owner of one in due course. For coaches, at least from the 1890s, I wondered if anyone had experience of the Diagram 3D range?

It is one Hell of a choice for the first steam outline model, but I have complete faith in Rapido; if they say they will do it, I am sure that they will do it, and to an exacting standard.

I've not seen a cut off date?

Hardewick is, or was, also housed at Locomotion, so it seemed a logical next subject. Having said that, thought should, perhaps, also be given to Locomotion's  Worsdell M1 (D17) 4-4-0.  The NER is cruelly under-represented.

As for polls, recent UK experience suggests that they have some reliability issues, but, I would happily go for Gladstone (though it would be nice if they tooled up for the standard variant, too), and the South Eastern 737, so that I will have something to go with the fully lined C Class that I will never own because Bachmann only made 5 of them, and I blinked and missed them.

For GER, personally speaking, I would vastly prefer a T26 in Prussian Blue (and I suspect that as LNER and BR E4s they would be reasonably popular). 

A cut-off date seemed implied for Stirling Single pre-orders, if not expressly stated.  Whenever it is, I pray I do not miss it.

• RMweb Gold

How do I best explain this?

by people watching the scanning party video too where you explained it beautifully so I understood it ;)

Can you do it in chocolate too though as the mention higher up made me hungry and it really does look good enough to eat!

by people watching the scanning party video too where you explained it beautifully so I understood it ;)

I did indeed ;) Shiny Shiny is always going to be a challenge, compared to say, any battle damaged scene of carnage in Avengers II (which I also scanned.... Go See it!)  

One area were Rapido could make a revolution would be to include on board firebox glow and cab light.

We have had diesels fitted with working lights for years as standard on most modern RTR locos.

But the last loco fitted with firebox glow was a Hornby 8F, not the recent super detailed loco drive one but the old tender drive one.

Maybe some clever system to add working lamps too. A system whereby the user can plug lamps on the brackets of their choice and they light up.

Perhaps I will be asking for too much if I say smoke as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One area were Rapido could make a revolution would be to include on board firebox glow and cab light.

We have had diesels fitted with working lights for years as standard on most modern RTR locos.

But the last loco fitted with firebox glow was a Hornby 8F, not the recent super detailed loco drive one but the old tender drive one.

Maybe some clever system to add working lamps too. A system whereby the user can plug lamps on the brackets of their choice and they light up.

I just received my new Rapido Via Rail F40, and it has illuminated steps below the drivers cab, which I have not seen on any other model before. Tom

• Like 1

Glowing Fireboxes are not a new feature, just the type of control we can do with modern electronics.  A few of the 1970's locos had this feature.

For a single driver loco I'd be tempted to designing it with loco drive and tender drive via a cardan shaft, just like the real loco it would probably not haul much!

Steam escaping from cylinders and blow downs when stopped too! The leaky valve setting should be about CV 564.

Edited by autocoach

• 3 weeks later...

Someone's got a GA of this engine on eBay at the moment. Here's a snippet from their photo:

post-4450-0-44524600-1434396261.jpg

This is what the model could be like if delivered with P4 wheels and splasher inner faces made from 3-thou metal. OO's going to be painful.

The Nim.

• 1 month later...