Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

Its the low wages that drive it.  Despite certain manufacturers claims, rates over there are still vastly less than here.   Cost of machinery , raw materials etc probably the same. Rates etc tend to be a small overall expenses, but are no doubt negligible over there (they are in my factory overhead, so I don't know precisely how much, but overall the overheads are low). Not sure about the price of Yorkshire Tea though

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think wages are only one part of a much more complex equation. There are also factors like worker productivity, availability of skills, non-salary costs, corporate taxes, regulatory compliance etc. If it was only about wages/salaries then I don't think the outsourcing advantage would be as big as we are led to assume. For example, ViTrains manage to offer models which are competitive in terms of cost and quality with Chinese made products despite being made in Italy which is not a low cost economy.

Just received the Rapido UK Newsletter and within it are several surprises and items for Warley.......................

The icing on the cake for me though is that they will be bringing a superb 3D printed model of the Stirling Single to Warley.   It looks simply stunning!   Its next stop is to go to tooling, and then we can all have one.......at least......!   :locomotive:

• Like 4

Tha

And you can see a couple of photos of the 3D printed model of the Stirling Single here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101318906379&ca=8ff4e781-15b9-4202-a07e-ea1976431a09

John Storey

Thanks for that.  Looks superb.

I note the comment "However, we believe that the most difficult days are now behind us", which is encouraging. I feel sure that Rapido will do a first class job.

Can Locomotion/NRM ask Rapido to do Hardwicke, Gladstone, the SE&CR D Class No. 737  and, dare I suggest, Dean Goods No. 2516?!?

With the Hattons/DJH King and the Stirling Single, 2017 is looking like a very expensive year!

• Like 2

I’m sure Rapido will. I’d be all for following up with Hardwicke, Gladstone and the D. As for the Dean Goods, once a model has been tooled up, even if it isn’t as good as we would like, manufacturers are unlikely to produce a competing model unless they have already been working on it for some time. I don’t think we are likely to see another Dean Goods any more than, sadly, we are likely to see another EM2.

I’m sure Rapido will. I’d be all for following up with Hardwicke, Gladstone and the D. As for the Dean Goods, once a model has been tooled up, even if it isn’t as good as we would like, manufacturers are unlikely to produce a competing model unless they have already been working on it for some time. I don’t think we are likely to see another Dean Goods any more than, sadly, we are likely to see another EM2.

Indeed, I jested!  You are right, apart from certain notorious, and, I assume inadvertent, duplications, once someone has produced an RTR model, even if pretty mediocre, that tends to discourage anyone else from tackling the subject for a generation! 

When we consider a new RTR model, its often not simply any deficiencies that matter, its more about the better model that no one will now make!

• RMweb Gold

Surely they can manage to put a good taper on the inside of the rear edges of the cab, especially that hugely thick area across the top? Job No1 for any buyer who owns a file if they don't......

Email them, I'm sure they'll respond.

Although I'll guess they read this anyway.

• Like 1

Email them, I'm sure they'll respond.

Although I'll guess they read this anyway.

I'm sure you're right, that they read this, but I have learnt not to take that for granted, so, anyone who has any comments like this will do all concerned a very great favour if they are prepared to contact the manufacturer/commissioner directly. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.  Looks superb.

I note the comment "However, we believe that the most difficult days are now behind us", which is encouraging. I feel sure that Rapido will do a first class job.

Can Locomotion/NRM ask Rapido to do Hardwicke, Gladstone, the SE&CR D Class No. 737  and, dare I suggest, Dean Goods No. 2516?!?

With the Hattons/DJH King and the Stirling Single, 2017 is looking like a very expensive year!

Hello Edwardian

See link below for the Dean Goods (which is presumably what you were talking about?)

Brian

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117156-national-collection-in-miniature-dean-goods-class-no-2516/

Edit: Sorry - just realised that you had already seen it and were now referring to Rapido as opposed to Oxford Rail!

Edited by BMacdermott

Hello Edwardian

See link below for the Dean Goods (which is presumably what you were talking about?)

Brian

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117156-national-collection-in-miniature-dean-goods-class-no-2516/

Edit: Sorry - just realised that you had already seen it and were now referring to Rapido as opposed to Oxford Rail!

I have learnt to be careful what I wish for!

I wish for some clerestoried GN or ECJS coaches to go with the Stirling single......and the Ivatt Atlantics......and the Gresley Pacifics.......not to mention the kit built Raven C7 and D20......

Pre-1914 Flying Scotsman rake of clerestory bogie coaches for the Atlantic?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Surely they can manage to put a good taper on the inside of the rear edges of the cab, especially that hugely thick area across the top? Job No1 for any buyer who owns a file if they don't......

By all means either email them or talk to them at their stand this weekend, but I would guess that it is a limitation of the 3d printing process and thus wouldn't be an issue when the actually create the molds.

By all means either email them or talk to them at their stand this weekend, but I would guess that it is a limitation of the 3d printing process and thus wouldn't be an issue when the actually create the molds.

It hasn't even been shown publicly, and already..... :>)

This is why the 3-d sample is so important on this project. There is a physical limitation as to how thin we can make the cab roof and still have it reliably inject and be strong enough, but we may be able to make some changes that would help at least the back edge look thinner. 

Having said that, there is a rather pronounced bead/lip that runs around the rear of the cab that makes it look thicker than just the sheet metal would imply.We also need top ensure that the back edge of the cab is properly rounded. And no, I'm not talking about the "thickie" in the center of the photo......  

post-10397-0-39100400-1480109679_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Guest spet0114

If this is the case then I wonder if Locomotion will honour the price quoted when the loco was first announced for those of us who opened our wallets on day one.

If this is the case then I wonder if Locomotion will honour the price quoted when the loco was first announced for those of us who opened our wallets on day one.

Lots of factors forced us to increase the price for the Stirling single, but all those who paid either a deposit or paid in full when ordering prior to October when we temporarily suspended orders, will still pay the original price agreed at the time of order. The new price is for new orders only.

We didn't want to put the price up but unfortunately there was no other option but we all agreed it was the right thing to do to honour the original prices to those who had handed over their hard earned cash! Who says we don't have a heart?? ❤️

• Like 7

Guest spet0114

...all those who paid either a deposit or paid in full when ordering prior to October when we temporarily suspended orders, will still pay the original price agreed at the time of order. The new price is for new orders only.

That's reassuring, thanks.

One snag with models of the Howlden 12 wheeled coaches, as pointed out by a certain RDEB in conversation at Warley this weekend, is the effect that the length of the bogies has on the ability of the coaches to round curves. If you want "proper" models, with full size wheels in the bogies, solebars in realistic positions without unsightly cut-outs, and the coach body riding at the correct height, then the coach will not want to go round anything other than very easy curves, NOT table-top set-track. I have a couple of GC Barnums, with bogies more than a scale foot shorter in wheelbase than the Howlden 12 wheelers, and although their solebars are VERY thin metal rather than thick moulded plastic they are pushing limits when rounding curves of anything less than 3 foot radius.