Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Email from Locomotion. Order book closes at the end of April. Delivery still expected in June.

The email shows:

DCC Ready Version NOW £229 ;  DCC Version NOW £329

Clearly the 'DCC Version' is in fact DCC SOUND.

What is happening at Locomotion?  The Web site 'Update' page remains way out of date and other attempts at communication are wrong or non-existent. 

Edited by KymN

I would prefer Bachmann to do the B1...

For two reasons:

1.) It will be cheaper than Rapido, so I actually stand a chance of getting one.

2.) It would possibly end up in the main range, thus allowing other class members in other liveries to be produced.

I would prefer Bachmann to do the B1...

For two reasons:

1.) It will be cheaper than Rapido, so I actually stand a chance of getting one.

2.) It would possibly end up in the main range, thus allowing other class members in other liveries to be produced.

1) cost is related to sales numbers.  A popular locomotive will sell more, making a lower price possible.  It is also worth looking at Bachmanns upcoming new tooled models and seeing how the Bachmann prices are going up.

2) same thing could happen with Rapido.  It all per 1) depends on how popular it is whether it can justify multiple production runs combined with whatever agreement is made with Locomotion.

Bachmann already do a B1. So do Hornby. ;)

But I doubt a LBSC Gladstone is going to be much cheaper no matter who makes it. Don't forget that when the GNR C1 came out it was £179. That was about four years ago. Prices have gone up since then.

So £179 in 2014 against £229 in 2018 (originally £199 for those that ordered straight away). For a much more difficult and niche model. That's not really much of a rise considering how much the Bachmann Blue Pullman has gone up.

Since then the Prototype HST has been put on ice and that is something which would easily outsell most obscure pre grouping locomotive models. 

Jason

Since then the Prototype HST has been put on ice and that is something which would easily outsell most obscure pre grouping locomotive models. 

Would it?

How many runs of diesels and electrics, particularly units, have sold out within days and weeks of their release?

How many 'obscure' pre-grouping steam locomotives, generally in very attractive liveries like Improved Engine Green, have sold out on pre-order within days and weeks of their announcement, and then sold out within days of their release?

I think pre-grouping locos sell better than many people would like to acknowledge! Admittedly only a small proportion, albeit a growing proportion, will sell to modellers of the pre-grouping era, but they sell nonetheless.

• Like 1

I suspect the problem was that most people seemed to indicate that if they were to buy the Prototype HST they wanted the coaches to go with it, which changes the economics of the model.

Then Oxford announced their Mk3 model, which further complicated things.

Would it?

How many runs of diesels and electrics, particularly units, have sold out within days and weeks of their release?

How many 'obscure' pre-grouping steam locomotives, generally in very attractive liveries like Improved Engine Green, have sold out on pre-order within days and weeks of their announcement, and then sold out within days of their release?

I think pre-grouping locos sell better than many people would like to acknowledge! Admittedly only a small proportion, albeit a growing proportion, will sell to modellers of the pre-grouping era, but they sell nonetheless.

Yes.

How many Bachmann LEs have they sold recently. Added up that is thousands of Class 47s. Add in all the Heljan prototypes. Don't forget the three completely sold out runs of Deltic produced for the NRM. Two more runs announced.

As well as all those Rail Express limited editions and a few runs of the SLW Class 24.

Not to mention the Rapido APT-E which goes for more than any steam locomotive on the second hand market. Even Pecketts. Over £700 if you want one.

Now how many pre grouping models have they sold? Smokey Joe and 101 don't count. :)

I believe the only one that has sold out was the L&YR tank. Twice. Probably proof that black sells rather than "pretty" liveries.

Even this model struggled to sell the other variant of tender as a pre order because of a lack of demand. And was cancelled.

The GNR 4-4-2s haven't sold out apart from the BR black one. They had to put the MR crimson lake Compound in train sets to get rid of them. Which ruins it for those that want the LMS version in red.

Funny thing is I mainly model steam. But even I'm a realist and know that most of the stuff I want wouldn't sell.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I suspect the problem was that most people seemed to indicate that if they were to buy the Prototype HST they wanted the coaches to go with it, which changes the economics of the model.

I agree.

And possibly Oxford have ruined the chance of a decent Mark Three for a generation. It's not a bad model, but not exactly the ultimate that many were expecting.

Jason

The LNWR Coal Tank is still readily available ex-stock from the usual suspects and on ebay, despite the success of the L&Y Tank. Or perhaps because of it. I found it strange that Bachmann chose to produce the Coal Tank in plain black livery, rather than the lined version for which the LNWR was better known. Perhaps they intend a re-introduction with that livery, but with the original versions still in retailers stock. how soon is that likely..

Unless committed to modelling a pre-group layout, RTR consumers are more likely to be attracted to the models with more complex and distinctive liveries. Building a pre-group layout requires kit building the stock to get a reasonable representation of the period being modelled, something which most "modellers" are reluctant to do or incapable of.

The idea that the introduction of RTR locos will have any significant impact on the number of pre-group layouts being built is just fantasy. It is simply another way to get people to spend more money and increase the size of their collections.

• Like 1

At first I fancied HST prototype coaches to go with the HST prototype. But economics means that I will now just satisfy myself with one HST prototype loco and run it as one end of a normal HST. Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Would it?

Hmm.. let me think about that ?

What was Rapido / NRMs last release .. I seem to have forgotten as it’s not very common...

Oh yes...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/

Whilst we are at it,.

Deltic seems to have had several sell out runs.

Come to think of it 55002 and D8000 have been done more than once.

E5001 as an NRM limited edition isn’t too common and 2Bil 2090 is one of the lesser common units.

On the non-norm theme.. DP2, Falcon, Kestrel, 10000/1 10201/2/3 and D600’s all look to be doing ok as odd balls. On Units Heljans single car rail buses (W&M, AEC, PR etc all seem to have done ok).

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Guys let's call a truce here.

There are some good selling diesels and electrics and there are some good selling pre-grouping and post grouping steam locos.

Equally there have been some less successful items in both regimes.

Whether a model sells out in days or not is one measure of how successful a model is, but is not the be-all and end-all.  If a model is released with 1000 items and sells out in days, is it more successful than a model produced as a 3500 run that sells out in 4 months?

Manufacturers and commissioners will decide on the basis of their own experience which models to make and squabbling here about whether your chosen item will be the better is unlikely to influence them.

• RMweb Gold

Guys let's call a truce here.

There are some good selling diesels and electrics and there are some good selling pre-grouping and post grouping steam locos.

Equally there have been some less successful items in both regimes.

Whether a model sells out in days or not is one measure of how successful a model is, but is not the be-all and end-all.  If a model is released with 1000 items and sells out in days, is it more successful than a model produced as a 3500 run that sells out in 4 months?

Manufacturers and commissioners will decide on the basis of their own experience which models to make and squabbling here about whether your chosen item will be the better is unlikely to influence them.

Apart from possibly putting them off!

• RMweb Premium

What is happening at Locomotion? The Web site 'Update' page remains way out of date and other attempts at communication are wrong or non-existent.

Sandra got made redundant, that’s what happened. I’m not saying the current guys aren’t any good, but Sandra is a tough act to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

It would however be nice to confirm my order from the early days, as I've had no reply to email.

Par for the course these days.  I have expressed my frustration before.  I have been waiting on the Dean Goods with sound and asked whether it had been despatched.  No response. The updates page on the Web site remains a shambles.  I just hope that my orders, including the Single, remain on the books. It is one thing to be working hard; entirely another to leave customers in the dark.

• RMweb Premium

I saw one of the prototype models at the Great British Train Show in Toronto this weekend, in the custody of Bill Schneider on the Rapido stand.

It is a really beautiful model.

The model engineering also looks very well thought out to me. The bogie and splasher clearance solution looks elegantly simple.

Also the 4-4-0 nature of the loco drive is clever too, and bypasses some of the early discussion on this thread about cardan shafts and the like.

I am very happy that I have one on order.

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would however be nice to confirm my order from the early days, as I've had no reply to email.

Stewart

I just hope that my orders, including the Single, remain on the books. It is one thing to be working hard; entirely another to leave customers in the dark.

Have you tried ringing them? ;)

...The model engineering also looks very well thought out to me...

I placed my order when it was announced that Rapido were to undertake the commission, not least for the joy of seeing how they tackled this awkward mechanism and sparing me the trouble; which I have been 'thinking about' since acquiring my Kitmaster kit using the pocket money my Pa kindly allotted me. (Yes, I am a slow worker in the hobby space.)

I wait with interest to see if any other single models - from any source - will follow in OO RTR.

I just hope that my orders, including the Single, remain on the books.

I am somewhat embarrassed to be seen as someone putting down people who are doing their best.  .... I have received a newsletter with embedded letter that tells me the Single is in production, and acknowledges my order.

Obviously not that embarrassed; have a little patience, they're coming.

• Like 1

Obviously not that embarrassed; have a little patience, they're coming.

Andy, please try and understand the point that I have been making all along.  I have never had any doubt that the Singles are coming, that delays are part of the industry and that patience is necessary.  Rapido is one of the better performers in in this regard and their turnaround on this and other projects is exemplary.  And I don't recall being accused of impatience before now; just the opposite.

However it is important to me to at least have some basic information as to the status of my longstanding orders, something I do not have in regard to my Dean Goods.  I have no idea whether it has been despatched to me;  I have not received it and others have. Pure faith is a step too far. 

Companies like Hatton's and Kernow are outstanding in this regard. OK, I can be tolerant of Locomotion as an offshoot of the museum, not as a 'box-shifter'. However at least the basic information sources - the Web site and the response to 'Contact Us' - should be maintained.  They are not. Living on the other side of the world, telephone is less convenient.

Please take my comments in the spirit in which they have been made.  They are not meant to be critical of the hard-working staff at Locomotion, but their systems do need attention.  Perhaps they need more resources. In the meantime I shall look forward to more wonderful products from the NCiM.  

• RMweb Gold

However it is important to me to at least have some basic information as to the status of my longstanding orders

I've ordered and paid for 2 Singles, one when first announced and another when some more cash was available about 9 months (?) later. Both times I had a receipt with a reference number which is all that is needed.  

If you've ordered/deposit paid/paid for an item, then you'll have a receipt too. 

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I hoped on the Rapido bus this morning and had a chat with Bill Schneider. You can just see his arm and leg in the photo:

Travelling on the Rapido bus.jpg

He's on his way to China as I write, and will be able to feed back later in the week, so hold your horses. He's on the case.

Talking of the bus, the driver is a bit out of practise and so Rapido's latest production is a new bit of glass in the passenger side mirror.

Bus driver.jpg

Truck 1. Bus Nil. All OK now though and only pride was hurt...

• Like 3