Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

Reading this I see there’s still some diehards here, just to fully flesh it out, anyone still using an old Dublo controller...or even a battery powered controller ?

(I still have a 9v Duracell battery handy for those quick test locos, and will take one with me to exhibitions to test second hand purchases by putting the two terminals on the wheels)

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it, it's the power that the old controllers put out - they had to shift vintage Hornby-Dublo motors, remember. Rapido use very small modern motors (including careless in some models) which do not take kindly to old controllers. Even some of the first generation DCC systems have the power to turn Rapido guys white at their very mention! (CJL)

This is worrying. Can someone elaborate on which early DCC systems are risky to which Rapido locomotives?

PS if they used "careful" motors instead of "careless" ones there might be less problems. LOL :)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 3

Reading this I see there’s still some diehards here, just to fully flesh it out, anyone still using an old Dublo controller...or even a battery powered controller ?

(I still have a 9v Duracell battery handy for those quick test locos, and will take one with me to exhibitions to test second hand purchases by putting the two terminals on the wheels)

I wish you hadn't asked as we're way off topic now, but yes I still have an old Marshall II controller which powers a set of wheel cleaning tools, and that 9V battery is a portable essential for at least the purpose that you mention, handy at other moments too.

Has anyone had any actual communication from Locomotion re actual arrival from China and despatch of models to buyers, and/or the 'few' available for sale to those who have not made deposits?

I have seen various general references to 'soon' and so on, but little in the way of actual facts.

Probably me just being impatient!  with the model looking so amazing in Andy York's great photos.

post-7929-0-39865200-1530825371_thumb.jpg

I'm sure they could sell a lot of these! 

pic copied from BRM, acknowledgements to Andy York  will remove if asked.

• RMweb Gold

I've just checked my inbox for my original order and took my own advice from a few days and made sure it was delivered to somewhere I can pick it up from the next time I'm in the country. :)

• RMweb Gold

I've just checked my inbox for my original order and took my own advice from a few days and made sure it was delivered to somewhere I can pick it up from the next time I'm in the country. :)

Aaaaaw thanks, you're so generous.

Did you want a dome on it ?

Well I’ve had an e-mail for the balance for my loco and if correct it seems I have been given a massive discount! Wonder if I should tell Stuart!

The error is in the eMail - but not in the Invoicing procedure.... :mail:

Just paid the remaining balance on my one. looking forward to seeing this beauty in the flesh. probably my last loco purchase in a looooooong time as I have too many!

You don't mean you're going to miss OO Works Great Southern and Western 0-6-0, do you? There aren't many like IT! The tender springs alone make it unmissable for me.

You don't mean you're going to miss OO Works Great Southern and Western 0-6-0, do you? There aren't many like IT! The tender springs alone make it unmissable for me.

He might or might not. I am going to give it a miss. I have yet to sample a product from 00 Works and have been tempted but there has always been something else demanding my limited funds. (Well, two items, which explains why I haven’t got one.) Coreless motors now rules 00 Works out for me. Bear in mind that the quantity of stuff coming out forces me to select and to help in selecting, I find that I can fix on a criterion to rule something out.

He might or might not. I am going to give it a miss. I have yet to sample a product from 00 Works and have been tempted but there has always been something else demanding my limited funds. (Well, two items, which explains why I haven’t got one.) Coreless motors now rules 00 Works out for me. Bear in mind that the quantity of stuff coming out forces me to select and to help in selecting, I find that I can fix on a criterion to rule something out.

I have their I3 but here I was selective as I was short on LBSCR engines (other than Terriers/E4s) and this is not likely to appear in China made RTR. Very happy with it. Not quite as detailed as mass produced RTR, no NEM sockets nor DCC gubbins (they do leave a space). But it runs really well, pulls loads and looks accessible (I have had no need to take it apart but looks easy to do - wells are Romford style so easy for P4/EM).

I have photos of the CR single in the south east during late BR steam, wonder if the Stirling Single came down our way?

I was really just commenting on the "Irish Scale Modeller" bar at the bottom of the post.

The years waiting for the Stirling Single seemed to go quicker than the last few weeks but then it doesn't seem so long since I was riding behind  the prototype on the GCR!

• Like 2

Being impatient for the superb Rapido/Locmotion Stirling Single, I thought I'd take a look at a Kitmaster model I made and painted in c1961 when I was 10-11 yrs old.

It has sat on top of a bookcase for 57 years, quite scary! :)   at certain times of year in direct sunlight, I haven't lived in the house since 1971, a brother photographed it yesterday on his layout and sent the pic, I was quite impressed by my hand-painted lining, with from memory a small brush of the type you could buy with 5 or 6 mounted on a piece of cardboard for about 9d. The model cost 8/9d, also from memory, about three weeks of lawn-mowing and chemist after-school delivery work. In NZ prices were about double the UK in those days, with a 3-6 month delay (at least) before they arrived in shops. Import duty, handling, markups etc.  

post-7929-0-29735900-1531006684_thumb.jpg

The foreground is edited, the rest is all 'real'. 

Back around 1960 I used to devour 'Model Railway News' every month, more interested in ads for new Kitmaster models than many of the articles!  I couldn't afford the good ones. We are so lucky these days!

As is my habit I have made the picture a little more 'detailed' and removed some of the dust, and will remove the edited pic if asked,  but it will have to do until the Rapido model arrives.  Actually, Kitmaster didn't do too badly. I have taken liberties with lining, a mix of NRM condition and photos from searches , using the principle that it 'might have looked a bit like this'.

post-7929-0-88215600-1531036045_thumb.jpg

A lot of fun making this pic, and I must find out which exact liveries these great locomotives wore.  edit; apple green and dark plum with black and white lining?

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 10

I have photos of the CR single in the south east during late BR steam, wonder if the Stirling Single came down our way?

I don't think so. It spent most of the time in York Museum but came out occasionally for special occasions.

It was resteamed in the mid 1970s for the Stockton & Darlington 150th and Rocket 150. It also visited a few heritage railways such as the GCR and NYMR. I don't think it went "Down South" though.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Being impatient for the superb Rapido/Locmotion Stirling Single, I thought I'd take a look at a Kitmaster model I made and painted in c1961 when I was 10-11 yrs old.

It has sat on top of a bookcase for 57 years, quite scary! :)   at certain times of year in direct sunlight, I haven't lived in the house since 1971, a brother photographed it yesterday on his layout and sent the pic, I was quite impressed by my hand-painted lining, with from memory a small brush of the type you could buy with 5 or 6 mounted on a piece of cardboard for about 9d. The model cost 8/9d, also from memory, about three weeks of lawn-mowing and chemist after-school delivery work. In NZ prices were about double the UK in those days, with a 3-6 month delay (at least) before they arrived in shops. Import duty, handling, markups etc.  

attachicon.gifstirling_single_2_portrait1_1ab1_r1200.jpg

The foreground is edited, the rest is all 'real'. 

Back around 1960 I used to devour 'Model Railway News' every month, more interested in ads for new Kitmaster models than many of the articles!  I couldn't afford the good ones. We are so lucky these days!

As is my habit I have made the picture a little more 'detailed' and removed some of the dust, and will remove the edited pic if asked,  but it will have to do until the Rapido model arrives.  Actually, Kitmaster didn't do too badly. I have taken liberties with lining, a mix of NRM condition and photos from searches , using the principle that it 'might have looked a bit like this'.

attachicon.gifstirling_single_2_portrait1_7ab_r1200.jpg

A lot of fun making this pic, and I must find out which exact liveries these great locomotives wore.  edit; apple green and dark plum with black and white lining?

cheers

That’s very good for a 10/11 year old. At that stage I had glue everywhere! Nice looking model

I was really just commenting on the "Irish Scale Modeller" bar at the bottom of the post.

The years waiting for the Stirling Single seemed to go quicker than the last few weeks but then it doesn't seem so long since I was riding behind  the prototype on the GCR!

Fair enough. I suppose I couldn’t resist taking another swipe at coreless motors.  :)

• Like 1