Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

Ive had an email from Apc to say they didn’t get all models labelled up on a Friday afternoon and a small percentage will be leaving them on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday

Thanks for the update on your day off.  Does that imply anything in relation to emails, e.g. if not labelled up then not emailed?

.I'd be interested to know what sort of sound the real one makes.  With relatively low pressure and huge  drivers I assume a rather soft "slow" set of puffs  -  noticeably different from other 2 cylinder engines.

Think about it. It isn't the boiler pressure that directly influences the sound, but the pressure remaining in the cylinder at exhaust. That's what's going to make the racket at the chimney top.

These were slide valve locos and once notched up somewhat from starting in full gear - changing cut off required the regulator to be closed - were driven wholly on the regulator. So none of the short cut off running common at the latter end of steam, these machines were driven with relatively late cut off, resulting in a significant proportion of the boiler pressure still present at exhaust. And when they were pulling hard in express service - in which they were capable of exceeding eighty miles an hour - the observers of the time employed terms such as 'roaring' and 'thunderous' to describe their progress. The volume of exhaust in C19th photos gives credence to this, very much the same as that of the later atlantics and pacifics putting out far greater horsepower.  Not very efficient at all, but by all accounts very impressive.

• Like 1

I had a phone call from my delivery driver yesterday saying he was ready to drop mine off , the only issue it was under a different name. Everything else was correct ( name, address and reference number).

Anyways he's hoping to drop it off tonight and I'll be in touch with locomotion on Tuesday probably.

Jamie

Thanks for the update on your day off. Does that imply anything in relation to emails, e.g. if not labelled up then not emailed?

I believe so because I worked all week to make sure all those paid in full had there delivery details sent to APC which was over a thousand. And notifications only go out when the parcel leaves the depot.

Edited by stuarttrains

I believe so because I worked all week to make sure all those paid in full had there delivery details sent to APC which was over a thousand. And notifications only go out when the parcel leaves the depot.

Hi Stuart 

Thanks for updates really looking forward to seeing my Sterling .

Still slightly concerned though, although it may confirm why some of us have not had dispatch emails- it doesn't explain why some people are getting emails about other peoples singles

You're correct it doesn't explain that issue.

As I said before - a shambles.

1) The possibility of not getting them all out on the same day should have been planned for so dispatch on first come first served should have been done.  That could have reduced some concerns.

2 ) Because of the possibility of not getting them all out on the same day dispatch should have been delayed until Monday and then continued on Tuesday thus avoiding a 4 day gap.

3) A post on this forum stating all UK orders had been dispatched should not have been made because as has been shown that raised several concerns.

Blimey

That was a quick change.!

Unfortunately for Stuart I suspect he has learned what I learned a long time ago when working, that if you depend on a 3rd party to do the work then make sure you plan every last detail and cater for all contingencies. Because unfortunately you cannot rely on other people, they will let you down.

Okay quick up date, my loco has just been dropped off and i've had a quick read through the manual and its up to rapido's normal standard ( i won't give anything away). 

had the model out quickly but won't have a chance to run her until wednesday when i'm down the club, honestly can't wait.

as mentioned in my earlier it was under the name Baker, other then that everything else was correct, even down to the delivery driver ring my old phone 4-5 times enquiring about the consignment number and address as he tried to deliver the loco on saturday while i was 2 hours up north...

great model so far and i'm really looking forward to running her in.

Jamie

• Like 1

Possibly more reverser open in the first one - and maybe its pulling harder - seems to be starting her train from a station, second and historic ones might be with less cut-off and/or pulling less.

From 2:00 to 2:15 here, carefully counting exhaust beats, she's making more than four beats per wheel revolution. It seems to be 5. How is that possible?

DCC programming?

Stewart :jester:

Being a bit tongue in cheek, imagine this same impatience with a kit release.....

Manufacturer - got the first ten etchings/castings back; boxing up with motors, wheels, etc.; posting the first ten kits....

Modeller 1 - received my kit; unboxed and photos posted.....

Modeller 2 - worked all night to get the chassis running......

Modeller 3 - worked all night to get the body assembled.....

Modeller 4 - 10 - received kits and put on the shelf for future assembly.....

• Like 2

Calm down. Fulfillment of mass orders always takes time and Locomotion have arranged a quicker solution than previous projects. Just let them get on with it for a few days.

• Like 1

DCC programming?

Stewart :jester:

A lot of these old cine-films have been paired with entirely separate audio-recordings. Yes, probably the correct loco, but no real synchronisation, hence the obvious disparity between film and audio.

Being a bit tongue in cheek, imagine this same impatience with a kit release.....

Kit, what's one of those?!

I jest of course, as I'm well aware, there are plenty of us here that are more than happy to wield a knife, soldering iron, glue brush or whatever tool is the preference! You may have just offended those who don't, some of whom get very defensive (and the same goes the other way too!)

Anyhoo, back to the Stirling! I found my email in my junk folder and hopefully I'll be at home when it arrives tomorrow. It's not life or death of I miss it and have to rearrange, and I'm certainly glad I'm not having to sort out so many orders all at once. It certainly seems a very thankless task!

Fancy having to wait a couple more days for something!

Of course I totally appreciate the concern of those when multiple emails have gone to single dresses somehow, but I think that by the sounds of it, that's down to the shipping company, not Locomotion Models, and I do hope it all gets sorted out very easily. As long as the postal adresses are correct, there shouldn't be an issue.

I very much look forward to receiving mine, and eventually giving it a good run when I've got some boards and track down, though I'm sure a trainset on the living room floor will do for now! (not on the carpet of course!)

Thanks for all the effort that has gone into producing and distributing this superb model!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

1) The possibility of not getting them all out on the same day should have been planned for so dispatch on first come first served should have been done. That could have reduced some concerns.

2 ) Because of the possibility of not getting them all out on the same day dispatch should have been delayed until Monday and then continued on Tuesday thus avoiding a 4 day gap.

3) A post on this forum stating all UK orders had been dispatched should not have been made because as has been shown that raised several concerns.

Poor Stuart can’t do right for doing wrong can he.

Having been privileged to have seen the 7 pallets at the mailing company, if Stuart had taken it upon him self to post out the models on his own I would say it would have taken him well over a month to do every single (no pun) order, not including the time needed to do all othe other work he has to do as part of his role at Locomotion models.

As for the mailing company all it takes is one field on the system to have the wrong bit of information in it and it goes a bit haywire.

As Andy has said please give them a bit of time to resolve any issues that have cropped up as there are only so many hours in the day.

Edited by Mr.S.corn78

1) The possibility of not getting them all out on the same day should have been planned for so dispatch on first come first served should have been done.  That could have reduced some concerns.

For crying out loud - it's a toy train; the world will NOT end if yours arrives a couple of days later than someone else's !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

For crying out loud - it's a toy train; the world will NOT end if yours arrives a couple of days later than someone else's !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Unless you are planning a video review and want to profit in hits on being first to post...

Possibly more reverser open in the first one - and maybe its pulling harder - seems to be starting her train from a station, second and historic ones might be with less cut-off and/or pulling less.

From 2:00 to 2:15 here, carefully counting exhaust beats, she's making more than four beats per wheel revolution. It seems to be 5. How is that possible?

Video and film editing can easily mis-match visual content and sound recordings.

edit; oops as already pointed out.    Sorry.

Edited by robmcg