Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I haven't got one, but it doesn't sound right . Most people comment on how smooth it runs and it certainly seems so from any YouTube coverage I've seen. There is a guy on here, sorry can't remember user name, that has been appointed repair guy for Rapido. If you scroll back over the pages you will see him, but I also believe the place to send queries is listed on the instructions with your model . I'd try emailing him or send him a Personal Message . Maybe its something relatively simple and he can point you in the right direction. Failing that he will give address of place to send model back to.

Thank you, I'll pop him a message and see if I can get something sorted. I found myself quite disappointed with my loco as the running went on, as one of the tender buffers popped out too, I ended up having to glue it back into place. It's also comparatively noisy compared to other locos, so I definitely think I got the short straw of the batch!*

*I should quickly say that I'm not going to put Rapido or Locomotion on blast for any problems I've had, this does happen and I'm just happy I have a Single, even if it does need a bit of a tune-up!

Edited by CrisisOnACanoe

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, I'll pop him a message and see if I can get something sorted. I found myself quite disappointed with my loco as the running went on, as one of the tender buffers popped out too, I ended up having to glue it back into place. It's also comparatively noisy compared to other locos, so I definitely think I got the short straw of the batch!*

*I should quickly say that I'm not going to put Rapido or Locomotion on blast for any problems I've had, this does happen and I'm just happy I have a Single, even if it does need a bit of a tune-up!

Good luck , hope it gets resolved for you. You are much more forgiving than I am , at that price I would expect perfect running . You can get the occasional rogue loco , but hopefully Rapidorepairsuk can get it sorted out for you

Why, I'm happy to have a Single myself, too.

Has anyone had problems fitting the splashers? Mine don't fit snugly to the underside of the cylinders, it seems as if the cylinder front covers are slightly too thick.

Have contacted Rapido Repairs and await their response.

Update: extremely quick and helpful response from Simon. Replacement splashers and cylinder front covers on their way to me immediately. Excellent support from Rapido Repairs - thank you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I sent my Single to Simon for repair but haven't had any response from him asking for an update. Anyone else had an issue like this? It's been gone for at least a couple of weeks since I posted about the problems I was having, and I get a bit anxious if I don't have adequate communication. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I sent my Single to Simon for repair but haven't had any response from him asking for an update. Anyone else had an issue like this? It's been gone for at least a couple of weeks since I posted about the problems I was having, and I get a bit anxious if I don't have adequate communication. Thanks in advance.

I would have thought that your model was not fit for purpose and as such should have been replaced by another immediately. It is not as if you have had the thing very long. As I have posted earlier, Locomotion Models have been an absolute shambles in delivering this particular model and until their communication system is greatly improved I am reluctant to order anything else from them.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Communication seems to be a little hit-and-miss.  Posts above seem to suggest swift replies sometimes and slow at other times.  I have a series of PMs via RMweb which have been dragging on since August.  I can only assume that Simon is busy with Rapido repairs.  At least I hope that's the explanation and he isn't ill.  I'm sure it will all get sorted out in the end CrisisOnACanoe.

Morning all,

Communication seems to be a little hit-and-miss.  Posts above seem to suggest swift replies sometimes and slow at other times.  I have a series of PMs via RMweb which have been dragging on since August.  I can only assume that Simon is busy with Rapido repairs.  At least I hope that's the explanation and he isn't ill.  I'm sure it will all get sorted out in the end CrisisOnACanoe.

Many thanks for the concern Teaky. I have been ill but after a weeks break and apart from a hacking cough I'm still here. I will reply to you via PM.

I would have thought that your model was not fit for purpose and as such should have been replaced by another immediately. It is not as if you have had the thing very long. As I have posted earlier, Locomotion Models have been an absolute shambles in delivering this particular model and until their communication system is greatly improved I am reluctant to order anything else from them.

Brian

There is only a certain number of warrenty models and each model that is sent back for repair is checked as 9 times out of 10 it can be easily fixed and returned. Occasionally one will need to be replaced but only once the customers model has been checked.

As has been mentioned elsewhere and several times in this thread, Stuart is one person and I know he works very hard and tries to respond to all communication but it may take a while if lots of people are sending emails, phoning and placing orders via the website which he will need to pick, pack and post. I'm sure if you have any ideas on how to improve things then please send an email in.

Hi Makkenzy,

I have sent you an email this morning but I thought I would reply on here as well. Your model arrived on the Friday that I went on holiday for a week. Now this is something that I don't announce due to past instances of people turning up at my address unannounced whilst they thought I wasn't there. So for security I don't say now.

I don't answer emails whilst on holiday as I like most people need to have some down time and leave work behind, hence the delay in replying to your email you sent on Thursday, plus the SWMBO isn't too impressed whilst we are away to find me sat emailing about work.

I hope this goes some way to explain why you didn't get a reply but I'm only human and need a rest sometimes.

Thanks

Morning all,

Many thanks for the concern Teaky. I have been ill but after a weeks break and apart from a hacking cough I'm still here. I will reply to you via PM.

There is only a certain number of warrenty models and each model that is sent back for repair is checked as 9 times out of 10 it can be easily fixed and returned. Occasionally one will need to be replaced but only once the customers model has been checked.

As has been mentioned elsewhere and several times in this thread, Stuart is one person and I know he works very hard and tries to respond to all communication but it may take a while if lots of people are sending emails, phoning and placing orders via the website which he will need to pick, pack and post. I'm sure if you have any ideas on how to improve things then please send an email in.

Hi Makkenzy,

I have sent you an email this morning but I thought I would reply on here as well. Your model arrived on the Friday that I went on holiday for a week. Now this is something that I don't announce due to past instances of people turning up at my address unannounced whilst they thought I wasn't there. So for security I don't say now.

I don't answer emails whilst on holiday as I like most people need to have some down time and leave work behind, hence the delay in replying to your email you sent on Thursday, plus the SWMBO isn't too impressed whilst we are away to find me sat emailing about work.

I hope this goes some way to explain why you didn't get a reply but I'm only human and need a rest sometimes.

Thanks

Thank you, I sent you a reply and I apologise once again for my impatience. I've a fair bit going on in terms of projects and it has given me a bit of an anxious edge. Too many things to keep track of! 

I'll hold my patience in future, normally I only order from places like Hatton's or places that my friends work at, so I'm sure you can see my view here. Thank you again. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quick Question - I have a sound version of this fab model. With sound on or off there is an audible motor / chip noise when power applied - yet on the video's I've seen the model appears silent (just rail noise) plus the DCC Sound chuffs when sound is on.

Anyone else with a sound version able to comment. I'm using a ECoC command station set at 16v so shouldn't be any controller system issue. I've tried adjusting various CV's too but no difference. 

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Steven Draper

Been a privilege to have this Single and train running on the layout this weekend.

Now part of the Grantham roster and will be running at the Wakefield show in just under two weeks time...

Looks a great layout - what's the story of the coaches - they look great too.... :-)

Looks a great layout - what's the story of the coaches - they look great too.... :-)

Coaches all the work of Jonathan Wealleans. A potted story of the build is dotted around his workbench thread; all I know is that they were from a variety of sources:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/892-west-end-workbench/page-42

Next public outing will be at CMRA Stevenage, 12th/13th Jan 2019

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've not received mine which I paid for in August, emails and messages sent through the website are not being replied to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember you being able to order one in August, you could though pay the balance on an existing order.

Can you remember what you paid?

I've had another email to say they will dispatch my order next week. Thanks

Response from Locomotion Models

We have now resolved Mr Jackson’s complaint and his Stirling Single is on its way to him.

If anyone has any outstanding issues regarding any of our products can they please contact Stuart at Shildon and we will get them sorted.

We want to ensure that no one is disappointed over the Christmas period – so in order to meet Santa’s delivery schedules please let us know sooner rather than later!

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

• Like 5