Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

In 4mm?

Virtually yes, although I've not measured one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bachmann-Trains-Thomas-Friends-Engine/dp/B0011ZT7CU

Part of the TTTE range. Even have British tension lock couplings.

Some of the coaches and wagons are the old Mainline ones. Even though some say HO which is a left over from when Bachmann only had the US rights.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/thomas_and_friends/oo-scale

Old Mainline GWR Toad with a face on it.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/523/toad-brake-van/77019be

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Doesn’t look like the Stirling Single is available on their website, I assume the eBay one is old stock.

They sell on ebay from time to time, often for silly money. I sold one that my boys no longer wanted and remember being stunned at how much I got. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, jwealleans said:

You must be able to get them as Mike Trice converted one to an Ivatt Single a few years ago.  I can't recall where he obtained it, though.

Most of the photos are sadly missing.

10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Doesn’t look like the Stirling Single is available on their website, I assume the eBay one is old stock.

Theres only four "Thomas" locos listed by Bachmann Europe whereas Bachmann USA list 26 including Emily https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=756_772_774

and listed by Totally Thomas at £85 https://www.tootallythomas.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2151898-Emily-Bachmann-Thomas-and-Friends.html in contrast to the £122 Amazon want.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/06/2022 at 05:23, Steamport Southport said:

Bachmann do one.

Jason

Yes, Bachmann USA do one.  I have both. It is slightly larger that the OO Rapido version. 

I got Mike Trice's resin parts to convert.  I am giving it to a young lad who enjoyed my layout, so will be building a layout with him. 

Getting him into the hobby.

Mark in Oz

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi, my mate has a Rapido Sterling single to sell after his dad passed away.

Are they really worth the big prices I am seeing?

Probably not 😉 Watch the ones that sell not sit around dreaming about selling. 
A few desperate people force the price up then many live in hope once the big bidders are gone. You never know you might get lucky but a lot of top prices on such models, as with the S stock, are dreamers. 

1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi, my mate has a Rapido Sterling single to sell after his dad passed away.

Are they really worth the big prices I am seeing?

Like any second hand product, they're worth what people will pay. Sold prices on eBay indicate a price range of around £300 to in excess of £800, depending on condition. If your friend is able to put together a decent listing for his, making sure to put in all the correct details (eg, spelling "Stirling" correctly and including the MPN, etc), then something in that range is easily achievable.

Alternatively, it would be worth getting a valuation from Hattons using their "Hattons Model Money" service. They'll probably offer a bit less than you'd get selling direct on eBay, but the advantage is that their system will walk you through the process of submitting the details (including condition, which is really hard to get right on an ebay listing) and, if you need help, you can communicate with a real, live human rather than needing to wade through help pages.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

If your friend is able to put together a decent listing for his, making sure to put in all the correct details (eg, spelling "Stirling" correctly and including the MPN, etc), then something in that range is easily achievable.

There's a Sterling Way in Cambourne but it wasn't named after the currency.

It wasn't even named after the loco engineer or the Scottish city but like all the other streets in that district after the WW2 aircraft.  Unfortunately somebody on the council couldn't spell and by the time they had been told, it was too late to correct it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Santa brought me a DCC sound Stirling Single this xmas and it was not supplied with a detail pack nor a user manual (obviously bought secondhand). I have reached to Rapido already but just throwing this out there seeing Rapido interact with forum members here and would like to know if anyone has had a similar scenario

• 2 months later...

Mine went back to Rapido repairs because of a DCC problem.  It came back non-operational, It just sits in a display case now.  I'm not sure if I have the full set of detail parts.

• Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, KymN said:

Mine went back to Rapido repairs because of a DCC problem.  It came back non-operational, It just sits in a display case now.  I'm not sure if I have the full set of detail parts.

It could have been very nice but mine jerked into motion rather than starting smoothly. Once in motion, the spokes flickering past the slots in the splashers would have been a hypnotic sight were it not for two bright red wires visible where there should have been solid boiler. It has been a bit disappointing. If it had been easy to get inside it, it might have been possible to paint the wires or substitute black ones. Lubricating the motor bearings might have helped (or might not).

• 6 months later...
On 16/04/2019 at 19:26, Methuselah said:

In future, it'd be a good idea if threads like this were routinely split, perhaps by the Moderators, so that all the ordering, returns and other commercial issues et al, were in another linked thread, so folks could see some interesting dialogue about the MODEL itself, and directly-related subjects.

Hi Methuselah,

from my point of view, reports regarding faulty models, returns and other deficiencies of the model are important information for enthusiats (=customers) intending to acquire such model. Thus, such threads should not be split.

Btw, as I had to return my Stirling Single twice before I finally received a proper model some years ago, of which I just shot some pictures, some illustration of this awesome model:

34211205st.jpg

34211207pa.jpg

34211204at.jpg

34211206zv.jpg

GNR Stirling Single no. 1. Locomotion/Rapido 449373.

34211209tu.jpg

cab detail

Best,

Mark  

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 17/05/2022 at 11:39, E100 said:

I wonder if there's a chance of a re-run of these as per the APT-E...

The thought occurs that while it would mean new tooling, offering a re-run with the 'as originally preserved' tender, with an option for both tenders (I suggested this at time of original announcement as that struck me as the best option) as this would put clear water between the original release and the re-run.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2023 at 08:51, Guardian said:

Hi Methuselah,

from my point of view, reports regarding faulty models, returns and other deficiencies of the model are important information for enthusiats (=customers) intending to acquire such model. Thus, such threads should not be split.

Btw, as I had to return my Stirling Single twice before I finally received a proper model some years ago, of which I just shot some picture, some illustration of this awesome model:

Best,

Mark  

On the irrebutable presumption that readers are lliterate enough to find the basic thread - having a Link to a 'Problems Page' should be a doddle - and hardl;y likely to overtax browsers of this site. In the past, I've got sick of reading all the whining about models - however well justified. Luckily perhaps, my Stirlings and 4700's for example, have been perfect. Yes - the Stirling is lovely - so nice in fact, I bough a pair of them, to recreate the GNR double-headers of those days.

• Like 1