Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

Atlantic, Dave. Then we can all see what you need to do to it to make it one of the production series.

I've already got one.....as well as a DJH kit which is fast coming up the queue.

It's a lovely model and runs very well, I haven't run a rule over it or looked closely though....one thing at a time...of the 3 I'm already doing.

Also have a DJH Klondyke purchased 2nd hand a long time ago and now have all the parts to repair it.

• RMweb Gold

A non sound on order already and if I can justify another it'll be non sound again.

Of course technically speaking...... with the cheaper of the 2 I'd have no trouble taking the scalpel to it for a bit of conversion to 544..........

I've been clearing the loft of crud onto Ebay, amazing what people will buy!

.and before you ask ....yes the parts for the A5's are on order... :onthequiet:

Edited by chris p bacon

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while so I wanted to give a quick update on the progress of the Single.

Tooling is now well underway and we expect to see the first test parts at the end of next week. We're working toward having complete samples at the York Show at Easter so stop by either our booth or Locomotionmodel's (we're both on the second floor mezzanine I believe) and see them in person!

In the event that we don't have a sample in time for York, I'll be the one running for his life and Brian will be the one chasing me...  :O

Here's a teaser image of one of the moulds. No prizes for guessing which parts these are!

Bill

post-10397-0-69931800-1489090039_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Here's a teaser image of one of the moulds. No prizes for guessing which parts these are!

Mightily impressed that you've arranged the split line mid-way through the wheels. I haven't seen this in 4mm anywhere other than Exactoscale, for the P4 contingent. I see it allows you to incorporate a bolt head between alternate spokes.

The Nim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

I must stop drooling on the keyboard! :D

This is 100% my most anticipated model coming out this year. :)

Alex

• RMweb Gold
Not sure about the chimneys on the boiler moulds, looks a little too Rocket.

And those wheels - one driver and 4 pony wheels per sprue - I know this is a single, but surely two driving wheels.

Our factory has been busy testing the moulds. Here are a few teaser photos of some of the first test parts, warts and all! Make sure to come see the Rapido and lomotionmodels.com stands at York over Easter for more!

Bill[/quote

Seen all these before. The design inspiration is undoubtedly Rowland Emmett's Marvellous Machines....and the railway he designed for the Battersea Funfair in 1951 during The Festival Of Britain.

• Like 1

Not sure about the chimneys on the boiler moulds, looks a little too Rocket.

And those wheels - one driver and 4 pony wheels per sprue - I know this is a single, but surely two driving wheels.

Hmmm... Maybe we scanned the wrong loco....  :stinker: 

As for the number of wheels, the other driver isn't the only thing missing.The other trailing axle wheel is also conspicuous by its absence! There is no doubt a second mould with the other driving wheel and the trailing wheels. Either that, or something was lost in translation when they heard "Single".... 

Bill

Edited by rapidobill

So, in the RTR design concept what determines whether the body is injection molded plastic or die cast metal? Is it a weight consideration, ease of assembly, robustness or something else? My Bachmann 57xx is plastic, my Bachmann On30 locos are metal.

The wheels appear to be single piece, ie not insulated, so will this be a split frame electrically?

• RMweb Gold

So, in the RTR design concept what determines whether the body is injection molded plastic or die cast metal? Is it a weight consideration, ease of assembly, robustness or something else? 

With that 8' Driver it's going to be traction.

• RMweb Gold

This of course assumes that the model replicates the prototype....you never know, the rear wheels may be driven too!

They will be.

Chatting at Warley and was told quite a lot of the Single is going to be metal to get some weight into it, and having done some GN singles that isn't a bad thing. Without some really decent weight above and around the driver she's going nowhere.