Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

I just heard some distressing news. Not about the Stirling Single fortunately, but about personnel at Locomotion.

I understand that Sandra Rewcastle is to be made redundant at Easter.

I am sure many of us have come to know Sandra not just from our purchases from Locomotion but also by her presence on RMWeb.

She has always been extremely helpful in the many things I have bought from Locomotion models, and in questions inbetween purchases.

She is always knowledgeable about the model content and also the order and fulfillment process, more so than at some of the better funded commercial retailers I deal with.

She is also clear in communication, which is also much appreciated by me.

Finally, she communicates a sense of fun and appreciation for the hobby and also for the NRM, and I assume that fun is also one of the reasons why we are involved in model railways.

So I think the NRM and Locomotion are about to lose a strong asset.

Without knowing any of the other context, I wonder if the decision could be changed.

If others agree, perhaps we should start an RMWeb petition ?

I would suspect that Brian Greenwood may be the best person to communicate with there.

So here is one name for the list.

Tom King, Toronto Canada.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope to be at York show so I may see some of you to say ta-ra otherwise a whole new world opens up after Easter and I have no idea what I'm going to do.......

Cheers

Sandra

Very sorry to hear that Sandra and I wish you well finding something else quick. The reputation for efficiency, a good part of the Locomotion brand, owes a lot to you and your colleagues sorting out and keeping people informed.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Tom.. And Hilux , I'm not gone yet but shout if you want to know anything in the next couple of weeks.

I hope to be at York show so I may see some of you to say ta-ra otherwise a whole new world opens up after Easter and I have no idea what I'm going to do.......

Cheers

Sandra

As a show of appreciation for your hard work I've just ordered Single No 2....and so have to say you're an expensive girl to know!

Good luck with whatever you do in the new world.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of meeting Sandra last year at Ally Pally and have spoken to her several times on the phone. Always cheerful and willing to help even when being bombarded with calls about the APT-E among other things.  She will be missed by me and many others.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a show of appreciation for your hard work I've just ordered Single No 2....and so have to say you're an expensive girl to know!

Good luck with whatever you do in the new world.

Single No2. Would that be a double?

Best wishes Sandra. I'm sure your CV will put you in demand. You were very helpful to me with my APT-E order especially when I changed the sound option and ordered extra trailer coaches.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

It's so he can convert one to a domed boiler and Ivatt cab - you heard it here first. ;)

Hi Sandra, we've only messaged once when I mixed up my (UK) billing address with my (Canadian) delivery address - doh. I appreciate all of the hard work you do, and I hope you find something new and exciting to do.

Best wishes

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Here is a post I did not expect to be typing and certainly for me one of the saddest.Since the launch of Locomotion's C1 Atlantic in 2014 and the warmth and enthusiasm of the hospitality she gave us on that happy day,Sandra has epitomised a willingness to go that extra mile for both Locomotion NRM and her many customers worldwide. She is always bubbly and cheerful whenever you meet her presiding over her stall of goodies at shows and swapmeets and is a persuasive....not to say fanatical :jester: sales person. Your wallet creaks with a smile and a giggle on its face.She has succeeded brilliantly in what is essentially a man's world.Indeed I cannot imagine this little world without Sandra's effervescent,infectious bounce.

Thank you,bonny lass for being you and for all you have done for the model railway community.I wish you well.      Ian.

• Like 3

Here is a post I did not expect to be typing and certainly for me one of the saddest.Since the launch of Locomotion's C1 Atlantic in 2014 and the warmth and enthusiasm of the hospitality she gave us on that happy day,Sandra has epitomised a willingness to go that extra mile for both Locomotion NRM and her many customers worldwide. She is always bubbly and cheerful whenever you meet her presiding over her stall of goodies at shows and swapmeets and is a persuasive....not to say fanatical :jester: sales person. Your wallet creaks with a smile and a giggle on its face.She has succeeded brilliantly in what is essentially a man's world.Indeed I cannot imagine this little world without Sandra's effervescent,infectious bounce.

Thank you,bonny lass for being you and for all you have done for the model railway community.I wish you well.      Ian.

A www thank you Ian, I'm filling up!!!!!!

I have had the pleasure of meeting so many of you amazing wonderful and sometimes mad people! And I have actually learnt a lot about geography!! I've loved every minute of my time here and will miss everyone very very much!

Who knows what the future will hold, if it be models or not I'll give it my all!

Cheers

Sandra

❤️

• Like 1

All my best wishes to Sandra for the future. She is always willing to hand out contact numbers and availability times and make the extra effort to help if an order got tangled up. Such helpfulness is rare. Wouldn’t it be nice (and productive) if someone in model railway production or retailing were to snap her up?

Very sad to hear you're going Sandra, you have been so very helpful every time I have pestered you about Atlantics and Singles, always lovely and pleasant even though I never remembered to ask all my questions in a single phone call. Thanks for all your help and I wish you all the best with the future

Single No2. Would that be a double?

Best wishes Sandra. I'm sure your CV will put you in demand. You were very helpful to me with my APT-E order especially when I changed the sound option and ordered extra trailer coaches.

A single double Fairlie?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep

Well, they WERE running... By way of clarification, both samples that we have at the show were fully functioning, and one made many laps of Brian's layout Monday night. However, both have now been coated in Halfords' primer after having all the extra detail bits added and the wheels need further cleaning before they will run well again! Part of the "fun" of trying to get things ready for the show!

Bill

• Like 5

• Administrators

Seen at York yesterday.

Sterling Single cleaned up.jpg

I couldn't resist tipping it on its side to see how the thing works.

Sterling chassis.jpg

Bill will be able to explain more, the bogie is a way of being finished, but there will be adjustable frames for "scale" or "will actually go around a corner". Power will be to the drivers and rear wheels, via some "interesting" gearing making it a 4-4-0 rather than a 4-2-2, but this means it will be able to haul stuff rather than just sit and spin. Mind you, this model is no lightweight so no traction tyres here.

• Like 3

Thank goodness no traction tyres are being fitted, I had wondered about the bogie splashers and the position to get around even modest corners, being adjustable makes good sense. I see that they are attached to the footplate rather than the bogie, which is near impossible from experience in building singles in the past. A couple were ex-Kitmaster, which with care and no splashers on the front worked quite well, with a Sharman type tender loading on the driving pair, but four easy running coaches was about the limit, unless a dead flat layout.

An all metal scratchbuilt version I built had full splashers but was in P4, so had no troubles on reasonable curves. Weighing more helped with the single driver and with the Sharman type tender it pulled very well indeed at eight bogied coaches, with a bit to spare for gradients.

So the two axle drive looks like the best solution, I wonder if it has been tested yet under practical conditions and what is expected of it.

Stephen