Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I've been trying to convince myself that £230 is too much to spend on something that will spend most of it's time in a display cabinet, but Andy Ys photos are severely undermining my resolve !

Yes, deeply worrying isn't it? How can I resolve the conflict between the desire for this beauty and my widely known skinflint tendencies?

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to convince myself that £230 is too much to spend on something that will spend most of it's time in a display cabinet, but Andy Ys photos are severely undermining my resolve !

I am the same struggle but will then convince myself that £179 for the Atlantic is a cheaper and affordable alternative. A 'bargain' I shall say to my wife....... :)

I am the same struggle but will then convince myself that £179 for the Atlantic is a cheaper and affordable alternative. A 'bargain' I shall say to my wife....... :)

The Atlantic was worth it.  The Single will be too.  And I say this as someone with a very limited budget indeed!

Guest spet0114

Well, if it's of any consolation, it's looking (to me, at least) as if the Stirling single might be the last of the 'big ticket' exclusives from Locomotion. In recent days they appear to have given up commissioning new tooling (*) and appear happy to issue exclusive versions of existing tooling. That's not to say the latter practice doesn't (usually) result in a great model, but it does mean some of the excitement surrounding Locomotion's announcements has gone. Nowadays it seems that (IMO) Rails, Hattons, Kernow et al are generating the 'buzz'.  A little bit sad, really.

Cheers

Adrian

(*)The slightly altered tooling for the Dean goods doesn't count!

Edited - to make clear that all the above is my speculation, not any form of official Locomotion policy...

Edited by spet0114

Is it just me or do the tender buffers (front between loco and tender) appear sprung? If so that's another achievement, if not it still looks absolutely stunning and I can't wait!

Also I'd like to add my thanks to the Rapido Guys for the excellent communication!

Edited by WD0-6-0

Well, if it's of any consolation, it's looking as if the Stirling single might be the last of the 'big ticket' exclusives from Locomotion. In recent days they appear to have given up commissioning new tooling (*) and appear happy to issue exclusive versions of existing tooling. That's not to say the latter practice doesn't (usually) result in a great model, but it does mean some of the excitement surrounding Locomotion's announcements has gone. Nowadays it seems that Rails, Hattons, Kernow et al are generating the 'buzz'.  A little bit sad, really.

Cheers

Adrian

(*)The slightly altered tooling for the Dean goods doesn't count!

That is bad news.  For a number of reasons.

No Hardwicke then?!?

... it's looking as if the Stirling single might be the last of the 'big ticket' exclusives from Locomotion. In recent days they appear to have given up commissioning new tooling...

That would be very sad indeed, though I missed that: is there a link to the news?

Paul

Guest spet0114

That is bad news.  For a number of reasons.

No Hardwicke then?!?

Maybe not from Locomotion, but possibly from Rails, Hattons or whoever....

Guest spet0114

That would be very sad indeed, though I missed that: is there a link to the news?

Paul

All the above is based on my observations, not any from of official news. :)

Now, about those guard irons. No, they should be silver (steel). Unless of course you're looking from the side. Then they look black. Ahem... It APPEARS from the photos that the fronts were silver, but the sides black. We can't do that. So, silver or black - either way we're "wrong" ;>)

'Officially' they should be all black, but individual drivers made 'enhancements' to the livery by removing paint from various places and shining up the steel beneath.

...,it's looking (to me, at least) as if the Stirling single might be the last of the 'big ticket' exclusives from Locomotion. In recent days they appear to have given up commissioning new tooling (*) and appear happy to issue exclusive versions of existing tooling. That's not to say the latter practice doesn't (usually) result in a great model, but it does mean some of the excitement surrounding Locomotion's announcements has gone. Nowadays it seems that (IMO) Rails, Hattons, Kernow et al are generating the 'buzz'.  A little bit sad, really...

But as you acknowledge it is just speculation, although Rails/Rapido taking on the ex-NER Dynamometer car adds a little weight. So long as key items from the National collection do get models - with benefit to the NRM -  it's only a little sad.

No Hardwicke then?!?

Presumably the NRM will have the visitor input on what might be desireable in model form, to offer to prospective manufacturers looking for subjects? (I was wondering if we might see the NRM exclusive 'Race to the North' (Southern Division) pack offered someday.)

Additionally the charms of Wainwright's D, Whitelegg's Tilbury tank, Holden's J69, must surely catch some manufaturer's eye - eventually? (No suggestion that these are the only worthy items, only that they are very pretty.)

• Like 2

But as you acknowledge it is just speculation, although Rails/Rapido taking on the ex-NER Dynamometer car adds a little weight. So long as key items from the National collection do get models - with benefit to the NRM -  it's only a little sad.

Presumably the NRM will have the visitor input on what might be desireable in model form, to offer to prospective manufacturers looking for subjects? (I was wondering if we might see the NRM exclusive 'Race to the North' (Southern Division) pack offered someday.)

Additionally the charms of Wainwright's D, Whitelegg's Tilbury tank, Holden's J69, must surely catch some manufaturer's eye - eventually? (No suggestion that these are the only worthy items, only that they are very pretty.)

All good suggestions, though I wouldn't stop at the southern end of the ECML - I'd go for the Tenant.

Sticking to the relatively neglected subject of Locomotion and NRM's own back yard, and closer to mainstream tastes than racers from the 1870s and 1880s, I am surprised that no one has yet tackled the M1 4-4-0. 

But, yes, one would think that there was enough out there already to justify adding a SE&CR D and a S56.  And who could resist a Tilbury tank?

Well, if it's of any consolation, it's looking (to me, at least) as if the Stirling single might be the last of the 'big ticket' exclusives from Locomotion. In recent days they appear to have given up commissioning new tooling and appear happy to issue exclusive versions of existing tooling. 

Well if they wouldn't mind doing that and getting on with commissioning a few additional LNER liveried Atlantic variants from their existing tooling that would be great news.

Edited by Dick Turpin

Guest spet0114

- with benefit to the NRM - 

That's another interesting point - we know that Locomotion exclusives benefit the national collection but what benefit does the NRM get from, for example, Rails modelling the NER dynamometer car?  I've not seen anything to suggest that they get any benefit. The tooling & models are exclusive to Rails. One might propose that Rails paid the NRM a one-off fee for access to the prototype, but even that is speculation. I've seen no evidence of e.g. a licensing agreement whereby the NRM gets a commission on each model sold. In short, if the dyno car is a hit and sells a bucketload, it all appears to go into the pocket of the chaps in Sheffield.

Just to point out, this is not a criticism of Rails, Locomotion or anyone. It's an attempt to discuss a perceived shift in policy at Shildon.  As it's also somewhat off topic, I'll refrain from going on at length about it.

Edited by spet0114

Guest spet0114

I believe they are either a corporate member or sponsor of the NRM so the museum derives a benefit in that way rather than a commission.

That's good to know, thanks.

Guest spet0114

Instead of speculation, some hard facts.....

Just got off the 'phone to Locomotion. Balance all paid and nothing to do now apart from wait.

Delivery expected around Easter time, apparently.

I was one of the ones who ordered both tender variants and did so before the price increase. If there are any other folk who did the same, it might be worthwhile giving the folk in Shildon a call. I'd assumed that my deposit for the Sturrock variant would be subtracted from the balance outstanding on the Stirling tender. This doesn't happen automatically, and it took a bit of hunting around in their records before they could confirm what I'd originally ordered and make this happen.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114