Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Bill,

please do tell. Then the kit manufacturers and designers can strike it/them off their lists.

It is very frustrating to develop a kit that a few model makers buy, only the have a RTR manufacturer bring out the same item which amazingly becomes to most wanted model since Christine Brinkley (other attractive ladies are available).

Jol

• Like 1

Bill,

please do tell. Then the kit manufacturers and designers can strike it/them off their lists.

It is very frustrating to develop a kit that a few model makers buy, only the have a RTR manufacturer bring out the same item which amazingly becomes to most wanted model since Christine Brinkley (other attractive ladies are available).

Jol

The only thing that stops me buying kits is the fact that I still have 4 waiting to be built! One of them since 20 years and all because of an attractive lady. When it gets done in RTR of course, I snap it up as fast as I would snap up a chance to see a fully kitted out Amazon Princess (Gal Gadot) next to Bluebell's pre grouping rolling stock. No building and painting required, just perfect eye candy.

Another thing at the NRM, so much choice but for me, it has to be SECR D class. What else could ecclipse a Stirling single? (each to their own).

• Like 2

In a parallel universe in which I have skills, or even the time to attempt to acquire them, perhaps!

My most productive time - as far as model output was concerned - was when we were bringing up two primary-aged children, each of us with two jobs, and yet the models seemed to pour off the production line.

That was when I learned all my modelling skills - with minimal tools because we couldn't afford them - and nowadays I haven't the slightest idea how it was achieved.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

Opportunity for an Inspection Saloon there, though, Jol, surely?

Jonathan,

I've just designed a LNWR one for London Road Models, is that what you meant?

I think Bill Bedford does one for the GNR (D45?), although I suspect building an etched kit may not be something most buyers of the Stirling Single will want to do.

The GNR 1912 built six wheel one doesn't look very attractive (not to an LNWR enthusiast, anyway).

Jol

it has to be SECR D class. What else could ecclipse a Stirling single? (each to their own).

With respect, I think little could eclipse the Single. The most visually impressive thing about the D Class is its livery. Both Hornby & Bachmann have proved they can achieve this very well, so little left to prove there. Mechanically and in terms of outline and general arrangement, the D would not represent any real kind of step forward, especially given the T9 and Drummond 700 already produced. This is not to say a D would not be an impressive model, but it would mark the same technical and commercial milestone the Single potentially will. The Stirling single, I would argue incorporates a number of technical challenges which have never been done in 1:76 finescale, namely a decent haulage from a single wheeler (OK they cheated to achieve the mechanical result), huge fine see-through splashers, fine valve-gear-running plate interfaces, complex smokebox cylinder join, bogie splasher clearances and so on.

• Like 1

With respect, I think little could eclipse the Single. The most visually impressive thing about the D Class is its livery. Both Hornby & Bachmann have proved they can achieve this very well, so little left to prove there. Mechanically and in terms of outline and general arrangement, the D would not represent any real kind of step forward, especially given the T9 and Drummond 700 already produced. This is not to say a D would not be an impressive model, but it would mark the same technical and commercial milestone the Single potentially will. The Stirling single, I would argue incorporates a number of technical challenges which have never been done in 1:76 finescale, namely a decent haulage from a single wheeler (OK they cheated to achieve the mechanical result), huge fine see-through splashers, fine valve-gear-running plate interfaces, complex smokebox cylinder join, bogie splasher clearances and so on.

I am bound to agree. Quite simply, no one had made anything quite like this before; it must represent an unprecedented technical challenge. 

That said, if anyone would care to produce a SE&CR Class D in the full Wainwright livery, they can count me in.

I am bound to agree. Quite simply, no one had made anything quite like this before; it must represent an unprecedented technical challenge. 

That said, if anyone would care to produce a SE&CR Class D in the full Wainwright livery, they can count me in.

And there is some authentic rolling stock out there for the D to haul,  

for the subject of this thread we need some GN six wheelers.

( there's a few dotted around the country to scan ! )

Jonathan,

wash your mouth out, those are kits.

Jol

Not all of us have the skills, or the time to attempt to acquire the skills, or the budget for tools and kits, necessary to supply ourselves with etched brass, painted and lined kit-built models.

While those who can't admire the efforts of those who can, perhaps those who can could refrain from looking down upon those who can't.

Not all of us have the skills, or the time to attempt to acquire the skills, or the budget for tools and kits, necessary to supply ourselves with etched brass, painted and lined kit-built models.

While those who can't admire the efforts of those who can, perhaps those who can could refrain from looking down upon those who can't.

I do not look down on those who choose not to build kits.

I do however consider that the belief that building and painting kits is too difficult very frustrating. I started building models as a teenage with very little pocket money and no skill. I have been fortunate to acquire enough of both to build the models I want, probably spending far less than those who amass collections of RTR locos and stock. Fortunately for Rapido Bill and his counterparts, many people are content to buy whatever is manufactured, probably spending far more in a year than I do. 

As for time to do these things, I was able to find enough of it through a fairly time consuming career to produce a small but adequate collection of kit built models for my needs. I am completely nonplussed by the need for a collection of hundreds of locos and by those who proudly show how many bargains thay have bought at this or that show, or during the course of a year.

There’s no looking down involved. The Mousa resin kits snap together. If you can build Airfix, you can put those together. The implication of the post was that none were available, which is not correct.

James, you underplay your own ability as a modeller.

I do not look down on those who choose not to build kits.

I do however consider that the belief that building and painting kits is too difficult very frustrating. I started building models as a teenage with very little pocket money and no skill. I have been fortunate to acquire enough of both to build the models I want, probably spending far less than those who amass collections of RTR locos and stock. Fortunately for Rapido Bill and his counterparts, many people are content to buy whatever is manufactured, probably spending far more in a year than I do. 

As for time to do these things, I was able to find enough of it through a fairly time consuming career to produce a small but adequate collection of kit built models for my needs. I am completely nonplussed by the need for a collection of hundreds of locos and by those who proudly show how many bargains thay have bought at this or that show, or during the course of a year.

These don't look like brass to me.....

Gentlemen, mine was an over reaction at best. Please overlook it. 

It probably had more to do with my frustrations at my own limitations more than anything else. 

I have tackled some plastic wagon kits, I have some 3D prints on the stocks and a couple of Bill's resin wagons on order, but, quite frankly, I suspect I'll be dead before I am competent to build or paint or line an etched kit, which I would be unable to afford in any event. Despite Jonathan's kind words, it is almost impossible to over-estimate my incompetence. 

Some of us are more or less dependent upon RTR, and not all of us are content to be so, but, while the spirit may be willing, the flesh is, I'm afraid, weak!