Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

In support of those who question the efficiency of the Locomotion.com operation, last week I tried to pay the balance of my order on line.  This failed because their website thinks my computer blocks cookies - it doesn't.

I therefore sent a message via the contact us button with my card and order details.  One week later I have no acknowledgement of receipt of that message.

I understand that there has been a rush in the run up to the closing date for the model but that level of (dis)service is to say the least poor. 

• RMweb Gold

How is the balance to be paid? Will it be taken automatically or do I have to send it now?

How I understand it Colin,  is that when they're in this country and ready for dispatch, they'll send you an invoice to pay the balance.

I paid for mine up front, just in case I'd spent the money!

Understandably I’ve had a lot of queries and phone calls this last week and We aim to reply to these within 5 working days however we do apologise that in busy periods this may slip slightly, which we are working on.

• Like 1

I've been here three days and am already tired of hearing peanut whistles

I'm looking forward to mine! I can imagine they drive you (pea)nuts after a few days, I do feel for those working there hearing them all day everyday but I'm still looking forward to them! Thanks for the photos Bill!

Thanks

Rhys

Greetings from lovely (?!) downtown Donguan, China! 

I'me here on one of Rapido's quarterly China trips to work with the factories on upcoming and current projects. As it happens, there are a few of our UK projects underway while I am here - one of particular interest to this thread - so I thought that I would share some photos of Stirling Single production that I've taken over the last few days.

This production line is working on Single tenders.

All of the Single chassis have been assembled and are being tested. They are stored in blue bins awaiting final assembly.

There are lots of them!

Every chassis undergoes a QC test to ensure that they operate to specification. This is probably one of the most exciting jobs in the factory. Ahem.... 

Likewise, every tender is attached to a running chassis to check all the wiring connections. While we all are anxiously awaiting our models, you can just sense the excitement that this supervisor will feel when she sees the last one LEAVE!

On the other side of the table every decoder is tested ahead of adding the tender shell. This woman's testing routine included blowing the whistle to check the speaker connections. I've been here three days and am already tired of hearing peanut whistles!

Once she is done testing the chassis they move to the final assembly steps. This involves adding the body, railings and coal load. I'm afraid that the woman on the right has given away our secret factory location. Don't tell anybody....

A few finished tenders awaiting the arrival of the dreaded Blue Bins.

So, you ask, where does all this leave us who are waiting SO patiently?

The assembly workers are working today (Sunday) to get the final tenders finished. As I mentioned, all of the chassis have been assembled. All of the remaining parts have been painted and decorated. The plan is to start final assembly on Monday, with the finished models going directly into packaging for shipping. It will likely take a little more than a week or so for this to be complete. I'm hoping to be able to watch them load the container before I leave. I may even offer to help!

So, the model IS coming - and soon! Thank all of you who have pre-ordered for your patience and support. For those who have not pre-ordered - what are you waiting for? ;>)

Now, off to the other factory which is working on another project! Updates next week on another thread!

Bill

Great stuff, Bill! I’m looking forward to mine, whistle and all.

Now, about the GNR Small-Boilered Atlantic, which came after these …

• Like 3

I'd almost forgotten I had one on order!  (yes, checked all my paperwork and I see I've got one on order and indeed paid off).  Really looking forward to recieving it, thanks for the update.  Now then, Stirling Single, Ivatt Atlantic, Gresley A1 and A4.... what else do I need for an impressive line up of East Coast thoroughbreds 1870- 1960?  Only a Deltic, I think....

Greetings from lovely (?!) downtown Donguan, China! 

I'me here on one of Rapido's quarterly China trips to work with the factories on upcoming and current projects....

Just the sort of post to give customers confidence. Well done Bill.

Excellent post Bill for which thanks. It gave me quite a nostalgic feeling looking at the pictures. It's not quite fifty years ago that I got my first taste of responsibility in manufacturing, supervising a light consumer goods assembly line for a few weeks as part of a well planned induction programme. The major difference being that every other one of the largely young women employed would have had a fag on, back then.

...Every chassis undergoes a QC test to ensure that they operate to specification. This is probably one of the most exciting jobs in the factory. Ahem.... 

Likewise, every tender is attached to a running chassis to check all the wiring connections. While we all are anxiously awaiting our models, you can just sense the excitement that this supervisor will feel when she sees the last one LEAVE! ...

Now if you could only tell this young lady that these items are going to 2.000 old men, who will put them on a similar track circuit and achieve happiness watching them go round and round, I would find it funny to hear what she thinks of that. (She might need a basic course in Western world style free and frank indiscretion first.)

• Like 4

Having stood near the real one in the (N) RM yesterday, I'm slightly regretting not ordering one. My wallet, however is quite happy with the arrangement.

I've got one of the more enlightened types of wallet: mine totally insisted I ordered one! Well, I can certainly say that with how things look to be shaping up, I feel glad I took the advice.

Edited by Dick Turpin

Locomotion aren't accepting any more orders it seems. I don't need or want a Single but it looks too nice not to have...

No need for a Single but it is such an iconic Victorian loco, arguably starting the high speed revolution that culminated in Mallard, that I couldn't not have one... even if this is the most I have ever paid for a non-sound fitted RTR loco!

While pre-orders are closed, I would imagine they will be available for general release once the pre-orders are completed. Given that all parts were made in advance of the pre-orders closing, it is not as if they are manufacturing to the number of pre-orders, so clearly a fixed batch size was agreed upon a while ago.

Excellent and informative update on the manufacturing. Interesting to see how parts are stored during manufacture. Ballpark counting of the chassis bins suggests there are around 700 in that picture alone!

Two questions (for Bill/Rapido)

Has the reverse 'sloop' on the rear of the running plate is sorted on the production batches, such that the running plate to the rear of the drivers is horizontal and aligned in height to the tender chassis top? As per the original CADs (albeit with later tender)

https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/b02e8bb6001/133c187f-5548-4b39-a91d-c6bcf1136c81.jpg?ver=2015-08-14T01:05:25+0000

Second, for those of us who want to have a bit of prototypical slipping of the driving wheels, will it be possible to obtain a spare trailing wheel axle in order to remove the driving gear (or, if the gear is part of a train to the main driving wheels, turn it into an idler)?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Excellent and informative update on the manufacturing. Interesting to see how parts are stored during manufacture. Ballpark counting of the chassis bins suggests there are around 700 in that picture alone!

I noted 40 per bin and approx 40 bins which gives 1600 for a production run.

I was informed a while ago that Heljan production runs are 2000,  so having a run of between 1500-2000 would seem about right for such a niche loco.

• Like 1

I noted 40 per bin and approx 40 bins which gives 1600 for a production run.

I was informed a while ago that Heljan production runs are 2000,  so having a run of between 1500-2000 would seem about right for such a niche loco.

I can't count! For some reason I thought I'd counted 20 per bin. No 40 is more correct. I suspect I counted half, and forgot to double!

I'd estimate about 2000. Or maybe 1500 + 500 sound...

Either way, they are obviously within the batch number on pre-orders, and indeed had space to extend the deadline. But would hope there are some left for 'general sale' at Shildon and York.

• Like 2

Now if you could only tell this young lady that these items are going to 2.000 old men, who will put them on a similar track circuit and achieve happiness watching them go round and round, I would find it funny to hear what she thinks of that. (She might need a basic course in Western world style free and frank indiscretion first.)

She would probably say in her best Yorkshire Cantonese, “There’s nowt so queer as folk.”

She probably thinks that anyhow if she has seen Jason in the factory.  :D