Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

What makes you think that the only scanning Rapido does/has done was at Locomotion way back then? AND, Rapido can work without scans - witness the Model Rail 'J70'. Should be enough there to go at.......... (CJL)

Ah but I spoke to Bill at that launch party and he let slip that he had been looking at lots of steam locomotives and noticed that many of them had no complicated outside valve gear. That’s not to deny that Rapido has been lasering since. No complicated outside valve gear? That fits the Stirling Single, which, unfortunately, has complications of its own.

Bill, are you listening? The Wainwright D has inside cylinders and four coupled wheels and we have coaches to go with it. Mr. Greenwood? Hello?

"Scots Region" may share my cautious views, rather than being swept up in the hysteria. This model will include unusual and perhaps un-tried technical features and comes from a manufacturer who may be very good but I know little about their previous work. I'll only know if I'm "serious about wanting one" when a decent number of reports from sensible buyers and users emerge.

I still take the view that if I'm too late at that stage, at least I've lost nothing.

• RMweb Gold

"Scots Region" may share my cautious views, rather than being swept up in the hysteria. This model will include unusual and perhaps un-tried technical features and comes from a manufacturer who may be very good but I know little about their previous work. I'll only know if I'm "serious about wanting one" when a decent number of reports from sensible buyers and users emerge.

I still take the view that if I'm too late at that stage, at least I've lost nothing.

I ordered mine in the final week of order taking and on the basis of what I knew about changes which had been made since the earlier prototypes were shown as a number of key problems had been tackled and dealt with.  Certainly the version - still pre-production but at production standard which I saw at Rails launch day confirmed those changes and it ran well with a reasonable (for its size) load.

• Like 1

Then read post 970 if you are serious about wanting one

I have paid for two already - I was simply querying whether the order-book was actually closed as we were told it would be. ie, If it's not really a Limited Production run, - and they make twenty billion of them....... :-/ .....

I have paid for two already - I was simply querying whether the order-book was actually closed as we were told it would be. ie, If it's not really a Limited Production run, - and they make twenty billion of them...

I have the original order form beside me, and there is no mention of any quantity limitation. It does state that this model is an exclusive production for NRM Locomotion. What that tells me is that if NRM Locomotion can obtain twenty billion orders, they are entitled to fulfil.

Bill, are you listening? The Wainwright D has inside cylinders and four coupled wheels and we have coaches to go with it. Mr. Greenwood? Hello?

And, as far as I know, a D1 body would be an easy option  -  two for very nearly the cost of production of one.

• Like 1

And, as far as I know, a D1 body would be an easy option  -  two for very nearly the cost of production of one.

Oh yes! Not so pretty but the prototype was a more powerful unit in a similar package. That may not have anything to do with the performance of the model but I know about it and that would lever open my wallet.

I can understand your point of view.

I ordered mine at the begining on the basis of having seen Rapido's work in a shop in B.C. Canada. Slightly off putting was the comment from one of the staff that to them Rapido 'RTR' means 'Ready To Repair'. But they admitted they sell a lot of Rapido products and that he was consdering getting one. I thought well that sounds like some of Heljan's products.

• RMweb Gold

I have paid for two already - I was simply querying whether the order-book was actually closed as we were told it would be. ie, If it's not really a Limited Production run, - and they make twenty billion of them....... :-/ .....

It is my understanding that the original order book has closed although it was slightly extended into May.  however I got the impression - rightly or wrongly - that production will exceed pre-orders and that some might therefore be available to purchase from Locomotion once pre-orders have been dealt.

I think you need to have a better understanding of Rapido's business model.  They are limited run, but it is a not on the basis of "We are going to make this many and that's it", it is a "build to order" limited run model, which means on a Rapido branded product, if they get orders for 1500, they'll make that plus some overrun for services.  If say Locomotion had 1300 pre orders to individual buyers for the single, and decided they wanted 100 to have for on the shelf, the production run would be 1400 plus the spares oversupply.  Rapido isn't going to go and make a bunch over what is ordered, and as a retailer, one would assume Locomotion will want some for in-store sales over those pre-sold.  Hence, it is a limited production run, but not a pre-numbered or pre-capped production run.  Two very different things.

Regards,

Stephen

Edits because I apparently can't spell or space words this morning.

Edited by sjgardiner
  • Like 1

Looked alright, I s'pose. Sounded alright, I s'pose. Doesn't say LMS on the tender though, so I didn't take too much interest.

He turned and looked across his shoulder at the two men waiting there in white coats, then looked back, clicked his fingers, and declared with purpose - 'OK boys, you can take him away!'

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine was ordered and paid for in full on May 14th...which is well after the closing date

.Stuart's post would appear to indicate that there is still availability.

Does it really matter what the eventual production numbers will be ?

• Like 1

Mine was ordered and paid for in full on May 14th...which is well after the closing date

.Stuart's post would appear to indicate that there is still availability.

Does it really matter what the eventual production numbers will be ?

Is the bear a Catholic?

There is nothing to stop Locomotion from doing further runs. However production costs will be higher due to increase China labour and resetting up the factory again (the tools have to be dug out, cleaned up, test samples done again etc....) for a smaller run (it would be cautious 250 to 500 locos).

Expect any further run to be £300 rrp minimum.

• RMweb Gold

Is the bear a Catholic?

Perhaps you would care to elaborate....but perhaps best not pursue it any further.It serves little purpose.

My original post was intended to be helpful.As they say,the road to #### is paved with good intentions.

You win some...you lose some..

Edited by Ian Hargrave

The other day I saw a video on the BBC news website of a container ship, Chinese I think, that lost several containers. It occurred to me how unfortunate it would be if a whole production run of an eagerly awaited model was lost in this way......insurance would probably cover the manufacturer but not the client disappointment!

83 Containers fell off a ship off the Australian East coast just north of Sydney.

Hopefully they are heading south.  I would get one before those in the UK, but for the fact they fell overboard and were wrecked along the coast.

Not long to wait now.  I have fully paid up.

Mark in Oz

Containers fall off with some regularity. Now this may be well out of date, but in a previous millenium when the idea of 'outsourcing' was getting up on its back legs and starting to toddle, I recall a question of this sort being asked. What we were told was that on the large container ships the most vulnerable container positions were occupied by empties on balancing moves and those with lighter weight low value content. The actuarial figures at the time appeared to back this up, there was greater risk to the content while the container was on the road compared to the sea passage. Not my field duckpond however.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there an issue a few years back with a batch of Bachmann UK locos (Class 37????) being lost/damaged in a container - either the container was lost or dropped at the dockside?

Feel free to correct me or fill in missing details, or tell me I'm talking rubbish.

I would hope that a container load of models with an RRP of several hundred thousand pounds would be placed well inside a stack, when compared to empty container or those containing high volume/low value products.

Caledonian 123 has no outside valve gear or rods, so no quartering issues etc., and a perfect follow-on to No. 1.

The problem is it isn't in the NRM so I can't see Locomotion doing it. I think you would have to ask the Scottish Railway Museum (whatever it's called now).

The MR Spinner is though and is another locomotive that has worked in preservation. Hint, hint. ;)

Jason

• Like 2