The Cost of Our Hobby

RBAGE

Are you suggesting that 2 bits of second hand information from 2 manufacturers means it's gospel or just journalism?

Is journalism just repeating what 2 people with vested interests say or does it require a certain amount of independent corroboration? 

I have been, shall we say, questioned about comment I've made on this thread without adequate factual foundation. Two different blokes told me sounds like it should get a response from certain quarters.

Anyway, I think your comment has reinforced what I've been say. Oh! And we shouldn't buy bargains cos they are bad for us.

I like to play devils advocate on a number of subjects but I think I should leave this one alone because the thought police will be watching.   

Sorry, you've lost me. What 2 bits of information? Which 2 people?

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

It would be good to get someone independent to write an article on costs proving or otherwise the need to increase it. I'm thinking something like a "Which" report , although clearly model railways would be deemed too trivial for "Which" . I do think we need someone from outside the world of model railways , maybe another hobby , to look at real costs and margins. Are they comparable to other industries? I suspect it will never happen though, and I've given up on any of the existing Model Railway mags even raising the issue of price and what it's doing to the hobby.

Companies need to make a healthy profit. Enough for shareholders and to reinvest in future. No issues with that.

Given a free market with no price pressures prices will inevitably rise to the top level . Why would a company sell something at £120 when it knows it could easily get £150 for it or even £200 with 20% less sales. I would charge the max if I thought there was no limit. Do you think companies don't look at that? Faced with no consumer pressure to moderate this you end up with Autocoaches at £70, as an example.

And that's the point. With an ineffectual media (on consumerism and prices that is) and no mass pressure to reduce or moderate prices , they will inevitably increase. And that's why I'm passionate about this . There needs to be some downward pressure to stop the inexorable increases which I just don't see existing in model railways. Surely an ideal market for manufacturers, although I suspect it's shrinking, and the actions of these manufacturers will cause it to shrink further. I think people are already voting with their feet or wallets. We need to at least raise this before it's too late. No debate in the mags though.

Thanks to Chris P Bacon for the advice on what to do. But I actually really enjoy my job . It's varied ,interesting and fulfilling and is pretty close to anything I could hope for. Thoroughly enjoy it. Model Railways , although I've been in it since a boy of 4, is just a hobby and I certainly wouldn't want to set up a company in it. Being a Chartered Accountant of 30 years I'm well aware of cash flow issues, which he correctly points out has been the downfall of many a start up, and established companies. But also as an SME in Lean manufacturing my job is to deliver cost downs in the manufacturing process, and although there are clearly inflationary pressures in China , no where else am I aware of 15-20% increase. Certainly not at Foxconn (one of the major electronics suppliers). So it really does annoy me that the reason for these increases is being passed on as down to labour. Yes it's increased , but nothing like these percentages of final,price. I am sure this is much more down to Kader trying to get same profitability as European market , killing the British one in the process .I'm just not prepared to pay it, and I really think I'm not alone in this.

Sorry, you've lost me. What 2 bits of information? Which 2 people?

CHRIS LEIGH

Err! You know what's going on because more than 1 person told you. I assume you spoke to someone within each organisation, whichever side of the Atlantic it was.

So at least 2 people from at least 2 manufacturers with an interest in not telling you the whole picture about their finances told you at least 2 bits of information which told a similar story.

Not really cast iron.

Archived