Road vehicles for London Transport layouts

Broadway Clive

Not sure how many other people are like me in modelling all aspects of London Transport, both buses and Underground.The main works for each were side by side at Chiswick and Acton respectively, and were linked by an internal road bridge over a SR rail line. They shared a fleet of lorries and vans based at the former, and many of these had actually been rebuilt from old buses. Tony Asquith of Little Bus Company is planning to produce resin kits of three such vehicles in 1/76 scale this year, and if past experience is any guide it will be best to put in an advance order to be sure of getting them.

On the left the standard AEC Regal/Regent stores and towing lorry circa 1939-65, in the centre the AEC Regent bus shelter carrier of the fifties and sixties, and on the right, the AEC Regent breakdown tender as used for both railways and buses 1950-78.  

post-14054-0-05447400-1428601610_thumb.jpg

LT also used cut-down Bluebird type LT double decks for bus shelter carriers. these can be cut down from my old GS models kits if they are still available. Adrian Swain (ABS Models) took over the range in 1981.

• RMweb Premium

Only one bus at a time was 'cut down' as a bus shelter transport. For more information you should look for a copy of 'London Transport Service Vehicles' by Kim Rennie and Bill Aldridge (ISBN 1-85414-274-7). I saw a s/h copy for less than £10 recently. LOTS (London Omnibus Traction Society) produce a series of 'suppliments' about London buses including one on service vehicles (Sup 15) that also gives basic details of livery and when in service. Both the above are available from the LT museum shop. There is also an excellent website called 'London Transport Service Vehicles' that has literally thousands of photographs that are very well classified and easy to navigate.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Does anyone have a suitable paint match for the Chiswick Green that the service fleet were mostly (including two of the above) painted in?

Thanks

Anthony

Hi All

Does anyone have a suitable paint match for the Chiswick Green that the service fleet were mostly (including two of the above) painted in?

Thanks

Anthony

Cherry Paints "LT Engineers Green" gloss is available from Phoenix Paints and Radley Models (under "specials"). Check postage costs though, as these can be high. Similar colours are Revell SM361, Humbrol 150.  I personally find all the Cherry Paints too glossy and prone to showing brush marks, so I mix my own with Humbrol emerald green as a base plus small amounts of  yellow and red. Put into large empty tins bought from Phoenix, pipettes used for adding colours, test paint, then check in daylight next day and tweak to taste.

Archived