Rods of Revolution's Stock Building Thread

I thought about updating my blog but I don't like the way blogs stifle discussion by breaking up content, so I have decided to just do a thread.

Any way, as I'm starting the thread I should probably add some content:

First up, an N Scale Class 143. This is a 3D Print I produced the 3D model for, the material is FUD from Shapeways and the primer is Halfords Red Oxide.

post-146-0-94853800-1428607562_thumb.jpg

The chassis will be a couple of Kato 2 axle chassis under each vehicle. I tried to devise a method of extending a single chassis but it's only really practical to have two chassis cut into two thirds and put back to back. I also want to have all wheel drive.

post-146-0-92321800-1428607703_thumb.jpg

Next up is an N Scale BIA covered steel wagon, these were converted from BBAs (which I have also done a model of). Again this is a FUD 3D Print I produced the 3D model for.

post-146-0-41491700-1428607861_thumb.jpg

This will run on a small layout I'm building (ASW - Tidal Works, soon to appear in the Layout section.)

post-146-0-20225700-1428607969_thumb.jpg

I hope this is of some interest! I'll try and update the thread with progress every couple of days.

All the best,

Jack

Thanks chaps! I've got a print of the BBA which is destined for ewsjo at Trainwest tomorrow so I think I'll leave it to him to put some photos up.

I've taken some photos of a few other pieces I received yesterday:

This is a PWA, which I don't really have a lot of use for, but they are interesting wagons so I made a model. I have actually sold a few on Shapeways but I haven't seen any completed models, so it's my intention to complete it and put it in a Speedlink rake on my new Cornish layout (thread to follow like the steel layout)!

post-146-0-61277100-1428689575_thumb.jpg

Next are a bunch of parts which I plan to use to make a mold (except for the buffers), I'll leave it to you to guess what it is!

post-146-0-39340800-1428689736_thumb.jpg

Now for something completely different! It's a AA3 pattern GWR Brake Van. This is for a longer term project, Malmesbury Station in N!

post-146-0-84962100-1428689893_thumb.jpg

I've printed a little detail part for the veranda with the sand box and casting for the brake wheel. The plan is to stick on a cut down Farish Toad chassis.

post-146-0-14243500-1428689986_thumb.jpg

Update time!

I've started producing the decal artwork for the PWA. These decals are printed on a transparent background, once they are on the model the white livery will compensate for the lack of white ink. I will also produce a sheet printed on opaque paper for things like the TOPS Panels. Hopefully this weekend I'll get around to painting it!

post-146-0-91529500-1429299247_thumb.jpg

The Yeoman JHA! I've had this print for a while but I haven't done a lot with it as I'm trying to get some bogies produced. It's another model I've done because I like them and see them regularly.

post-146-0-16426600-1429299280_thumb.jpg

One of the advantages of 3D Printing is the ability to easily model the inside of a wagon.

post-146-0-18825900-1429299295_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Update time!

I've started producing the decal artwork for the PWA. These decals are printed on a transparent background, once they are on the model the white livery will compensate for the lack of white ink. I will also produce a sheet printed on opaque paper for things like the TOPS Panels. Hopefully this weekend I'll get around to painting it!

attachicon.gifPWA___004.JPG

All the best,

Jack

Hello Jack,

I'll be interested in seeing how this works out!

Once I get to sort out what I want - It would need to be in the Kenmira scheme.....

But - very interested to find a model in N - at last!

Thanks

I've spent most of the day taking photographs with Steadfast but I've found a bit of time to do some modelling!

I'm wanting to model some of the internal user wagons at Cardiff Celsa for my layout Tidal Works. First up is a BDA conversion!

Here's the prototype:

post-146-0-12785300-1429990042_thumb.jpg

I'm making the parts by cutting them out with the Silhouette Portrait.

post-146-0-71883200-1429990130_thumb.jpg

I've cut out the 0.75mm plasticard, 0.25mm plasticard bits need cutting out in a bit. Here's a dry run with a few of the parts in place which hopefully gives a rough idea of what I'm doing.

post-146-0-12972700-1429990240_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Jack

I've started assembling the parts. A little filing will be required to get it to sit exactly as I want it to and I still need to add the "vents" on the roof.

post-146-0-64612900-1430042784_thumb.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the cover is and the consists at Tidal include a mix of billets on open BDAs and billets (I assume) on covered BDAs. Perhaps someone knows?

All the best,

Jack

A shame to see the LoadHaul livery go, but the weathering and paint job really captures the look of the stock down at Cardiff. The picked out details on the axle boxes, Tpieces and buffers really set it off

jo

• 4 months later...

Could you make the class 143 stronger?

It would be possible to make the shell thicker, though the windows wouldn't be flush, my intended chassis would need a lot more material removed to fit and doubling the thickness would make the models much more expensive. FUD/FXD are both quite brittle materials but are the only Shapeways materials that have liberal enough design rules to allow the detail on the 143 model.

I have cleaned up one of my test prints and glued in a body high strip of transparent plastic sheet for the windows, this adds significant strength and combined with fitting to a chassis should result in a relatively robust model.

All the best,

Jack

It's about time I updated this thread, as I have actually been modelling!

Firstly for my ASW Tidal Works micro layout I decided to create a PXA/JXA Scrap wagon to add some variety to my scrap fleet. I've finished cleaning up the print and now I'm in the process of sorting some decals out.

post-146-0-01074800-1443445735_thumb.jpg

I've also produced a 3D model of an 08/9, as these machines are pretty distinctive and Welsh! I'm cleaning up the Shapeways print now which takes a bit of time as there is a lot of detail on the print. Here it is with the JXA.

post-146-0-13206400-1443445740_thumb.jpg

Last bit of stock process for Tidal Works is some wire loads. The Farish SPA loads are fine, though I repaint them, but OBAs and other wagons often carrier steel wire. Again through 3D Printing I produced some wire coils. I painted them black and then dry brushed them with silver. I think I may dry brush them with grey as in reality the finish is a little more matte.

post-146-0-15166500-1443446249_thumb.jpg

On to china clay rolling stock! After I dropped a magazine on some of my NGS clayhoods I discovered all my paper hoods had been squashed and damaged beyond repair. I decided I wanted something a little more robust so I went about producing some 3D Printed hoods. This also gave me the opportunity to add the sagging the hoods have, which the paper hoods lacked.

Here they are in primer after a little sanding:

post-146-0-36223900-1443446429_thumb.jpg

Here they are now painted and weathered:

post-146-0-03351000-1443446523_thumb.jpg

To go with my hoods I have also done some more generic freight stock to supplement my existing Farish stock; some of the Farish stock I have recently been weathering and you can see the progress below.

post-146-0-90703300-1443447124_thumb.jpg

From left to right my, 3D Printed stock includes a 12t SR all Plywood van, a PALBRICK B, a Dace engineering wagon and a BR 12t Ventilated Meat Van:

post-146-0-41763400-1443446680_thumb.jpg

All the prints sit on Peco chassis of varying lengths. The prints have since been cleaned up and are now being painted.

I have a lot of other stuff I have been working on but I have reached the bottom of my mug writing this post, so I'll save some bits for future updates and go and make another brew!

BTW I try to make all the 3D Prints I think others may be interested in available through Shapeways  so others can make use of the effort that goes into creating the 3D models.

All the best,

Jack

I painted and weathered the SR pattern Plywood van. I should probably held off on the weathering until I got hold of some decals. Perhaps I'll paint a clean patch and apply the decals there or maybe just run a wash over to tone the white down.

post-146-0-68157300-1443477499_thumb.jpg

If it's of interest to anyone here's how I painted and weathered the van:

• The initial paint job was 3 thinned (1:1 water to paint) coats of RailMatch acrylic Late Freight Bauxite.
  • Next I painted the roof with a thinned (1:1 water to paint) Citadel "Stormvermin Fur".
  • I then took neat Early Freight Bauxite and very gently dry brushed over the rivets and other raised details.
  • Once the roof was dry I mixed a little "Stormvermin Fur" with a tiny amount of "Skull White"; I then cleaned almost all the paint off the brush and stippled what was left onto the roof. I then repeated the process but mixed in a small amount of "Chaos Black" in place of "Skull White".
  • I next applied a black wash of thinned (5:1 water to paint) of Citadel "Chaos Black".
  • The final step was to use the airbrush to dust the underframe and roof with a mixture of brown that resembled frame dirt.

I next need to paint the buffer shanks silver like I have done with the adjacent BR 12t van. Then some transfers and couplings to finish.

All the best,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick thread update showing both a 3D Printed Train Heating Van and a need to buy some newer Farish Mk1s!

post-146-0-91494300-1444842761_thumb.jpg

I came across these photographs on the treasure trove of photographs that is Paul Bartlett's site: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srdepartmentalstock/h5b9865b#h5b9865b

I decided I wanted to model one as it seems that no one has done so in N (or possibly any other scale). The 3D Print is sitting on a Parkside Dundas 12ft chassis and has been painted/weathered using a mixture of Games Workshop and RailMatch acrylic paints.

Edit: (I know, the brake lever is missing) :blum:

All the best,

Jack

Archived