Project ? The Finnish exhibition layout

Petri Sallinen

• 3 months later...

Wonderful modelling Petri. 

Can you tell us about the fir trees in the back ground.

Cheers,

Mark

Most of trees in our layout are pines that is typical wood type in Finland. We have adopted methods from books written by Gordon Gravett (Wild Swan). We have used thin copper wire for making trunks. Trunks are covered by water based building filler that was diluted with water and strengthen by wood glue. The mixture has to be so thin that you are able to daub it by paintbrush. You have to add mixture to trunks two or three times.

When the surface is still wet you are able to roughen it by tooth brush. This makes the surface very lively — this is very important.

kzqg.jpg

After that we have painted trunks by matte acrylic paints. The foliage is made by HEKI — the type is Micro Floor (conifer green) that is finer than usual foliage nets.

At this moment we have made about 60 pines for two blocks. I think we need some hundreds pines for six blocks.

Petri

Edited by Petri Sallinen

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Petri for explaining your technique. It's very effective giving a leasing result.

Hope the fir tree production line can cope with demand?

Keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This is first class modelling. Fantastic.

More please.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Petri,

Just stumbled across this thread... There is some absolutely stunning modelling on display here, the buildings in particular... well words fail me to be honest! I know next to nothing about the railways of Finland but you have created a fantastic feel and atmosphere. Keep the updates coming.

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Petri - fantastic modelling. Are you aware of the UK based Scandinavian Railways Society - they would have a number of modellers interested in your layout. 

I do have a vested interest as a member myself and also the webmaster.

http://scanrailsoc.org.uk/

Oh and yes we know Finland isn't in Scandinavia but a society called the Scandinavian and Finnish...and Icelandic..and.....you get the picture.

Best wishes, Mark

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hyvää Joulua, Petri and Nadolig Llawen from Wales.

Great modelling!!

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

We all might know that Santa is living in Northern Finland. But how many knows that Santa and his team used to start making the yearly trip by train? :no:  Season´s Greetings for all enthusiasts from Finland.

Petri

roYoxs.jpg

Penguins in Finland!

• 3 years later...

just found this , whilst searching for threads about railways in Finland. Having an interest in Finland as one of my sons lives in Finland. I visited him last year and despite only being in Helsinki area I did feel it was a much better enironment. The trees etc reminded me of northern Scotland, not surprising given its similar  latitude.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to visit the railway museum, the opening times just did not fit in, but did vist the small tram museum, and used the trams as well.

Interesting ,a model based around 1910 actually predates creation of Finland as an independent country,but then that railcar, one I would like to create myself, is from a later period.

I have been searching for scale drawings of locos and rolling stock, found some of railcars and coaches but not wagons. The 5ft gauge is an interesting challenge, so wondered if other scales than HO might be possible.

1/48th scale is pretty close to 32mm gauge, and then 2ft 6in gauge nicely fits 16.5mm gauge

1/35th is near to 45mm gauge(there are some nice older Russian wagons available as plastic kits),and then 2ft gauge fits 16.5mm gauge.

Changing the scale slightly from HO down to 1/92 scale brings the scale gauge nearer to being correct, with care 1/87 and 1/100(including wargaming 15mm) acessories could be used.