Aberystwyth track diagram search for possible layout

BobM

Hello guys....I wondered whether any of you kind souls would be able to point me in the direction of where to obtain an online track diagram for this once fine terminus station on the beautiful Cambrian coast....regards,,,Bob

post-20610-0-07503400-1428695744.jpg

View NW, towards the buffer-stops; ex-Cambrian terminus of main line from Whitchurch, Oswestry, Welshpool and Machynlleth, also ex-GW line from Carmarthen (closed 22/2/65). In 1962 the narrow-gauge line to Devil's Bridge ran from an adjoining station, but is now worked by the Vale of Rheidol Railway from this station. The 10.10 to Shrewsbury via Welshpool is headed by 4-6-0 No. 7815 'Fritwell Manor' (built 1/39, withdrawn 10/64).

Bob:

If you cannot find an on-line diagram there is an excellent drawing of Aberystwyth track layout (in the days of steam) in Derek J. Lowes' book The Cambrian Main Line: Scenes from the Past 55:  Whitchurch (Salop) to Aberystwth via Oswestry & Welshpool.

I hope this helps.

Regards

CC

Bob:

If you cannot find an on-line diagram there is an excellent drawing of Aberystwyth track layout (in the days of steam) in Derek J. Lowes' book The Cambrian Main Line: Scenes from the Past 55:  Whitchurch (Salop) to Aberystwth via Oswestry & Welshpool.

I hope this helps.

Regards

CC

Cheers for the info....much appreciated...Regards Bob

25' X 18' in 4mm should give you all of that as a track plan.

It would make a hansom exhibition layout.

post-6665-0-00152800-1429189837_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-98775600-1429189840_thumb.jpg

Old Aberystwth was two stations as it was the terminus for a line coming from the South as well as for the lines coming from the East, which is why you can see a Triangle by the Football Ground.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifAberystwith Modern.jpg

attachicon.gifAberystwith Old & Modern.jpg

Old Aberystwth was two stations as it was the terminus for a line coming from the South as well as for the lines coming from the East, which is why you can see a Triangle by the Football Ground.

Pete

All one station (the Devil's Bridge line ran from a separate but adjacent station). The triangle is for turning locos, not a link between the two routes.

For a model, probably more reasonable to take the Carmarthen line off at a lesser angle and give the MPD a turntable. Probably still need at least 20' length (4mm) even with a bit of compression.

Cc greens book on the Cambrian has three plans for the various stages lots of photos too. What period are you thinking. I am making a model of Strata Florida further down the Manchester and Milford line.

Cheers for the info and kind reply,,,,time period possibly mid-late 50's to end of steam....Regards Bob

attachicon.gifAberystwith Modern.jpg

attachicon.gifAberystwith Old & Modern.jpg

Pete

Cheers Pete.....much appreciated...Regards Bob

All one station (the Devil's Bridge line ran from a separate but adjacent station). The triangle is for turning locos, not a link between the two routes.

For a model, probably more reasonable to take the Carmarthen line off at a lesser angle and give the MPD a turntable. Probably still need at least 20' length (4mm) even with a bit of compression.

Cheers .....Regards Bob

Aber was actually 3 stations.... 1 narrow gauge, the line to Devils bridge, and 2 standard gauge, The Midland Line that went via the triangle to the south and the Cambrian line that went east to Shrewsbury and still exsts. It would make a cracking model. I've got a drawing on my other computer of the 3 lines highlighted, which I will dig out tomorrow.

Aber was actually 3 stations.... 1 narrow gauge, the line to Devils bridge, and 2 standard gauge, The Midland Line that went via the triangle to the south and the Cambrian line that went east to Shrewsbury and still exsts. It would make a cracking model. I've got a drawing on my other computer of the 3 lines highlighted, which I will dig out tomorrow.

Cheers P.J.

I wish I had the space to do justice to the station...will need to be an 'abridged Aber'!  Regards Bob

• RMweb Gold

Midland!!!!!?   A slight error there I think!  It was a Manchester & Milford Railway branch line, worked by the GWR from 1906 and absorbed by that company in 191 - worked as the Carmarthen - Aberystwyth route.

Hello Guys....I take it from the maps and my fading memory that there never was a turntable at 'Aber'....loco's used the triangle?  Regards as always...Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Guys....I take it from the maps and my fading memory that there never was a turntable at 'Aber'....loco's used the triangle?  Regards as always...Bob

I don't know. But I rather suspect that originally there was a small turntable and that  the triangle replaced that as locos got bigger. There is a suspiciously shaped earthwork where the coaling stage is that supports this theory.

Looking at the track layout on this image, I take it that this turnout would equate to a small 'Y' ?

post-20610-0-14988500-1429385674.jpg

Sadly I am not going to have this length of platform, the distance of the centre road I can muster from the buffer stops to the turnout will encompass three coach lengths wit enough clearance without fouling...but needs must?

Cheers PJ

• RMweb Gold

I don't know. But I rather suspect that originally there was a small turntable and that  the triangle replaced that as locos got bigger. There is a suspiciously shaped earthwork where the coaling stage is that supports this theory.

I looked it up when at Dad's on Sunday. It's Vol 4 of the series.

In fact there two turntables prior to the triangle being built.

The first (as shown in the plan in the book) lasted until the station was rebuilt in the early 1920s. It was a rather small t/t located just off the end of the platform. It was removed because the Carmarthen platform was lengthened. The GW had wanted to improve the station for many years but the Cambrian did not have the money to  pay its share.

The second was at the location I identified, south of the shed and where the coaling stage is on the plans above.

Why would they have needed to replace the second table? Surely not just to construct the coaling stage which could have been put somewhere else. My guess is that the "second" turntable was in fact just the first turntable relocated. It was too small to take a 4-6-0 and not enough space to put a bigger table at that location without demolishing the shed.

So plenty of possibility to bend history a bit and construct a compressed but still realistic model.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the track layout on this image, I take it that this turnout would equate to a small 'Y' ?

attachicon.gif14464877138_72b6a34fc0_c (2).jpg

Sadly I am not going to have this length of platform, the distance of the centre road I can muster from the buffer stops to the turnout will encompass three coach lengths wit enough clearance without fouling...but needs must?

If you are talking Peco, no, you don't want the short Y. It's crossing angle is 24 deg and will put everything else out (apart from giving you a real clearance problem along the platform edge because of the small radius). You will need the large radius (6ft) Y. For reference, the real thing probably has a radius that would scale out at about 18'.

Edit to add: Strangely located sign. If train spotters obeyed it, they would only be allowed at the very end of the platform. And how would they get there/back?

Archived