Gresley Statue Kings Cross Altercation

• RMweb Premium

Under planning law they haven't actually done anything wrong until the statue is installed. After that if there are comments from Joe public that the works aren't the same as the application the planners may use planning enforcement against the society. They may accept an amended application to cover the changes but I think they would also need to get English Heritage approval as well as Network rail.

All of this comes with fees....lots of fees....

Many thanks - I'm sure there'll be plenty of comments going in to the council then (all it takes is an email).

I'll be sending one in, for sure....

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps, once the statue is installed (sans duck) we sould alll contact Camden Councl about the breach of planning permission.

If there s enough hoo ha raised, there might be a change.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks - I'm sure there'll be plenty of comments going in to the council then (all it takes is an email).

I'll be sending one in, for sure....

I would be amazed if they haven't already had discussion with planning and English Heritage about this change to the spec.

but having said that ,

They've made such a complete bolox of the whole thing so far it would surprise me if they have simply ignored the matter, much as they have those that paid for it.

I'm sure that if I were building an extension and the structure didn't comply with the application then the Council would be all over me.

Boy, would I love to see proceedings get halted half way thru' the presentation...

Be great cover for a Ladykillers heist!

The Nim.

Chris,

My RSPB Mallard arrived this morning, i shall be wearing it on Tuesday. And if any of the 'Great Unwashed' accuse me of bringing the Society into disrepute, i shall just show them my RSPB mmbership card!!

Boris, it went further than just the Mallard several months ago

Ron

Just got this from another forum  blink and you will miss it!!

Timings for the N2 and coach movement to KX tomorrow have just been passed to me from a contact.

Tight doesn't describe it. Despite the Society saying  that the N2 (and A4!!!) would be there ALL day for the gratification of the adoring crowds, it now transpires that the N2 will not actually arrive at KX until 10.42 (VERY tight for the unveiling) and leaves at 12.57!!

It won't even be at the buffer stops as the hauling class 2o has to detach and move closer to the buffers.

Completely duckless when we arrived for a quick gander around noon today (not a ruddy duck to be seen).  The view of the N2 special was just a glimpse before it was hemmed in by an arrival in platform 7 (we couldn't wait unteal it went out), so we scotered over to join the throng on platform 8.. I'm wondering whether the bronze statue will have a goldeneye when the Sun is in the right direction.

Rounded off "Gresley Day" by going on to the Science Museum and watching the CGI representation of ("the") Mallard's record-breaking run in the Discovery Motion Cinema.

...  The view of the N2 special was just a glimpse before it was hemmed in by an arrival in platform 7 (we couldn't wait unteal it went out) ...

Eider waited and tried to shoveler bit more coal on the fire.

On a more serious note, I failed to notice yesterday any plaque or explanation of who the statue commemorates.  Hopefully there is something that informs the general public who Sir Nigel was and why he deserves a statue at Kings Cross, isn't there?

In a way, the mis-handling of this whole matter by the Gresley Society has raised the profile (and hence joe publics interest) of the statue.

The will it / won't it appear saga has been a masterful piece of PR, to ensure engagement and a degree of "ownership" of the statue by a much wider audience than a few anorak trainspotters.

I'm a bit surprised the statue isn't on a plinth, with a suitable plaque or explanation board adjacent to explain who he was and why he has a statue.

The lack of the latter in my view really nullifies the entire point of having a statue, especially since there is now no duck to encourage a second glance or arouse curiosity about an otherwise unremarkable lump of metal.

On a more serious note, I failed to notice yesterday any plaque or explanation of who the statue commemorates.  Hopefully there is something that informs the general public who Sir Nigel was and why he deserves a statue at Kings Cross, isn't there?

Apparently there was supposed to be a plaque but there was a bit of a to-do involving drilling holes and listed building consent (lack of):

https://www.facebook.com/gresleyduck/photos/pcb.481092258762455/481092012095813/?type=3&theater

Apparently there was supposed to be a plaque but there was a bit of a to-do involving drilling holes and listed building consent (lack of):

https://www.facebook.com/gresleyduck/photos/pcb.481092258762455/481092012095813/?type=3&theater

There was an A4 sheet of paper blutacked to the wall behind. Yep there should have been a plaque, like there should have been a Mallard and an A4 at the bufferstops. Having said all that it IS a humdinger of a statue and Hazel has done a super Job

Arrived at the Cross about 10.25 yesterday wearing my CrisP duck, which I turned upside down as a sign of distress!  Being early, got to stand next to the barrier so had a good view of proceedings.  Even this close, heard only about half of the first two speeches and none of the Grandson's.  Strange how  guys in prominent positions have no idea of how to address a crowd! The statue itself is excellent and the sculptress spoke well.

Good also to see the N2 (carrying express headlamps) and the restaurant car, complete with plastic duck in the kitchen.  Enjoyed "cabbing" the N2 with the heat and smell, very evocative.  When I was 5 I wanted to be an engine driver - my only experience to date has been driving and firing no 7 on themid-hants Railway.  I think the N2 would be consdierably easier to fire!

I did buy and carry a duck call but felt that using it may have spolied the occasion.

Archived