Gresley Statue Kings Cross Altercation

• RMweb Premium

They should auction it off and use the money to up keep HNG's grave

Not sure the Grandsons would think it appropriate to fund the upkeep of the Grave from funds generated by such tacky means.  Oh, hang on a minute - maybe they'd be prepared to make an exception.....

• 3 weeks later...

According to one of the railway magazines I was browsing (aka reading without paying for...) in Sainsburys today, the Gresley Society is now intending to poll its members on whether the duck should be added to the statue after all.

According to one of the railway magazines I was browsing (aka reading without paying for...) in Sainsburys today, the Gresley Society is now intending to poll its members on whether the duck should be added to the statue after all.

Now lets see, I wonder how does one join the Gresley Society....

I think that is almost the definition of someone noticing a stable door needs closing after the horse has long bolted, is in the next county, dead and being rendered down for glue.

• RMweb Gold

The fallout from the GST and some of the personalities at the top of seem to be affecting another society too.

I'd also wonder about non renewals.  As a Mem Sec it can be a hard job keeping members each year,  when that form drops through the door it's not always a high priority to fill it out and return it,  I work hard to keep the existing members we have and as a result we have a low loss rate.

Mind you the GST aren't exactly keen for the existing members to know who the other members are anyway so whether you'd ever find out the true membership numbers..... 

On my way to work this quite Sunday morning, I happened to walk closely past the statue, I found myself muttering "Morning Nigel" as I walked past......

.....if only I could have added "and Hello my Duck....."

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Is the new duck statue to be known as "Ducky McDuckface"?

I'll also get me coat....................................

No, Edward Thompson...

How many people rushing to get the train or a taxi will ever notice SNG let alone the duck?   People being people, would probably rather have a statue of a duck than Sir Nigel, soft hearted that they are!

Brian.

Reading the latest Steam Beano and looking at the unveiling photographs I'm struck at just how well the statue blends into the background wall, thereby making it near inconspicuous unless you're stood very close by or the light is favourable.

Presumably the planning police will object to the wall being painted white or suchlike for a contrast, so I wonder if it'll be possible to "buff up" the statue itself.

I still think it should have been on a  4 foot high plinth somewhere, perhaps in the new under cover area with the duck accordingly at the eye level of young children.

The fallout from the GST and some of the personalities at the top of seem to be affecting another society too.

I'd also wonder about non renewals.  As a Mem Sec it can be a hard job keeping members each year,  when that form drops through the door it's not always a high priority to fill it out and return it,  I work hard to keep the existing members we have and as a result we have a low loss rate.

Mind you the GST aren't exactly keen for the existing members to know who the other members are anyway so whether you'd ever find out the true membership numbers..... 

19 new members

2 obituaries (sic)

5 resignations (2 ill health)

36 memberships lapsed

Archived