Gresley Statue Kings Cross Altercation

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First I heard that the duck had been shot by duck hunters deleted was in a half page article in today's Sunday paper.

What a shame.

..... on the other hand a Mallard is a wonderful wild thing (as is Gresley's A4).

Mebbe I don't like the duck just plonked on an extension of the bronze base for his feet.

So I propose the Mallard ought to discovered elsewhere across the station (perhaps up out of reach, but in eye contact with HNG).

It'd be an interesting challenge for those visiting the station to try to find it. 

I'd be prepared to put up £50 towards having a separate Mallard duck suitably sculpted and sited after due process.  Anyone care to join me in "crowd funding" this project ?

dh

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So I propose the Mallard ought to discovered elsewhere across the station (perhaps up out of reach, but in eye contact with HNG).

dh

You could have it suspended above head height on "invisible" wires wings outstretched as if going full tilt, appearing to be racing across the concourse.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to miss it for the world.

Anything could happen, a flashmob all as ducks, thouands of ducks being thrown at the group, and as they all off to stuff their faces, th staute will beinundaed with ducks of all sizes

Serioudly i hope not but, i have no control over peoples feelings

And just to put it into perspective.

The society has not advised any of its members of the time ITS ELEVEN O'CLOCK

Not invited ANY of the publicwho donated

Just gos to show how much thought thewy put towards this

BUT we all have an invite from Hazell and her Association. So lets not spol it fro her, its a great piece of work, ust missing something the Coucil were so much in favour of 15 months ago.

More to the point will the pantomime villian Tim godfrey be there. If so and thwey let him speak i bet he wont mention his Grandfathers beloved ducks this time as he has donseveraltimes before. One day all the devious acts o the Council may become publicknowledge, unti then we just have to guess.

First I heard that the duck had been shot by duck hunters deleted was in a half page article in today's Sunday paper.

What a shame.

..... on the other hand a Mallard is a wonderful wild thing (as is Gresley's A4).

Mebbe I don't like the duck just plonked on an extension of the bronze base for his feet.

It'd be an interesting challenge for those visiting the station to try to find it. 

I'd be prepared to put up £50 towards having a separate Mallard duck suitably sculpted and sited after due process.  Anyone care to join me in "crowd funding" this project ?

dh

This has to be one of the finist bits of lateral thinking i have read . Give this more exposure it seems a get compromise and also artistic all wrapped up in a simple solution. How much to cast a lifesize duck, you would have my tenner or ten bucks (which ever is worth more once the decision is made)

Richard

Ha...then you'd have the idiots who have stopped it, banding together to get it placed well away from THEIR statue. So what would be the point?

And they are upper class, so will win, trust me.

• RMweb Premium

So was a revised planning application required, to reflect the change to the statue design?

Now then, if lots of "pro-duck" supporters all turned up at the appointed time and started quacking at the appointed moment.....

Not that I'm suggesting such a thing, you understand....

Travelled behind the Scotsman on the NYMR last wednesday, it has a small yellow duck on top of the splasher below the nameplate.

My daughter was with me, she is in her middle 30's and when she saw it she found it very amusing when i explained what it was all about.

A picture of it posted on Facebook got a lot of likes!

My other daughter lives in London and regularly commutes through Kings Cross and thought it was a great idea,but then she is a bit "arty".

Don. ex Hornsey and KX fireman/second man. 

You have to wonder at the way some of these groups are run. Both the WSRA and the Gresley Society have(had) trustees who run roughshod over the membership. It's a case of "We are in charge so sod you lot, you're just members, you don't count." The WSRA trustees especially, seemed desperate to hold on to power trying every trick in the book despite nearly every member wanting them out, and seemingly succeeding in pissing virtually everybody off.

The Gresley lot seem the same, using and abusing rules to deny votes and a fair say, intent to impose their will. All this despite the obvious harm and poor publicity it has inflicted on a great society.

You just know ducks will keep appearing at his feet after all this publicity which will look a lot more distracting and untidy than if they had just included the thing in the first place

It's a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot (at least you missed the duck!)

I recently came across a copy Of Railway Modeller March 2015 containing a Gresley Society advert requesting donations for the statue complete with Duck and explaining the Duck's significance. One must conclude

that the advert was placed with the Society's full backing. Duck or no Duck may sound trivial and I have no strong feelings either way. How any democratic society conducts its affairs is not trivial and members

should be confident that decisions arrived at cannot/will not be overturned without due process. If this is not the case why bother with an AGM. Taking this a step further it would be helpful if societies ensured that all members held a copy of the Constitution.

Pebbles

You have seen my postings on another forum. on this subject. You mention a copy of the Constitution.

under  the Companies Act 2006 the society MUST supply an up to date copy of the current Articles when request. Failure to do so incurs a fine of 1000 pounds i believe and it is not only the Secretary who is liable, but all the Council. however there is no time limit in supplying it, and as a re sult it is now nearly three months since my first request and two months from a reminder to them.

That Act is a wonderful piece of reading, esp the sections where it says 'must', which as i understand it is mandatory, and 'should' is advisory ,but following it is considered good practice. and like the highway code, the  phrase 'ignorance is no excuse. you either comply or face the consequences.

Oh and another LIE by the Council where they claimed that all 10 of the Vice presidents were in favour of the remaval of the Mallard

Bill Macalpine has already said he is pro mallard, now the Eal of Lindsay has confirmed being pro mallard and also that he has never been consulted about its removal ( see Save Gresleys Duck facebook page) There are other lies as well. THAT is what angers me, the deceitful way this has been arranged nothing more,nothing less

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I'd love to see the Society members (and members of the public) who funded the statue on the premise that quackers would be included were to take out a class action against the Vice Presidents.

Now that would be interesting...

Archived