Hornby Gresley conversions

• RMweb Premium

OK, I can still do Halfords Ford Burgundy (maroon). The light wasn't good and it really is an OK maroon.....honestly. Three passes over brown primer.

can't believe how different the two sides look when they are exactly the same tone in reality.

post-2326-0-23808000-1431354255_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-56138500-1431354266_thumb.jpg

This is Gilbert's 3 Comp Brake; Comet sides, Hornby blood and custard donor, as shown earlier.

MJT LNER Handles; nasty 0.45 wire grabs/commodes done by me; this particular coach had vertical grabs/commodes, otherwise I could have replaced the original Hornby ones (but it meant creating new holes in the sides and I don't trust my marking out). The Hornby Commodes really are fine little plastic mouldings. 

Yes, I know I have not replaced the Ducket (second pic....out of focus anway......). It will be the original Hornby that came off nicely. Only one Ducket on this coach; nearside.

The roof fittings (also salvaged Hornby fittings) are also awaiting 'reorganisation'; glazing and numbering will follow 'varnishing' to protect the paint (probably Gilbert's job).

Footboards on one side need refitting, replacing....probably my job? I need to check the Guard's positions/length of board for this coach. I might just make those lengths up..... :nono:

I enjoyed this conversion (see earlier pics and comments) and do have a go if you think you are hard enough etc. takes time but for a tenner for side + paint and some bits you get a different Diagram.

Quackersgreslysbogies.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice there Mr Duck, hopefully my sides arrive shortly and I can make a brave attempt to follow in your esteemed footsteps.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

OK, I can still do Halfords Ford Burgundy (maroon). The light wasn't good and it really is an OK maroon.....honestly. Three passes over brown primer.

can't believe how different the two sides look when they are exactly the same tone in reality.

attachicon.gifImg_0118.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0119.jpg

This is Gilbert's 3 Comp Brake; Comet sides, Hornby blood and custard donor, as shown earlier.

MJT LNER Handles; nasty 0.45 wire grabs/commodes done by me; this particular coach had vertical grabs/commodes, otherwise I could have replaced the original Hornby ones (but it meant creating new holes in the sides and I don't trust my marking out). The Hornby Commodes really are fine little plastic mouldings. 

Yes, I know I have not replaced the Ducket (second pic....out of focus anway......). It will be the original Hornby that came off nicely. Only one Ducket on this coach; nearside.

The roof fittings (also salvaged Hornby fittings) are also awaiting 'reorganisation'; glazing and numbering will follow 'varnishing' to protect the paint (probably Gilbert's job).

Footboards on one side need refitting, replacing....probably my job? I need to check the Guard's positions/length of board for this coach. I might just make those lengths up..... :nono:

I enjoyed this conversion (see earlier pics and comments) and do have a go if you think you are hard enough etc. takes time but for a tenner for side + paint and some bits you get a different Diagram.

Quackersgreslysbogies.

I find that ford burgundy on top of  Matt 67  is a bang on match for Bachmann Maroon. Red Primer avoid if you want a match.

• RMweb Premium

Not being an ars* but the Carplan paint is deffo thicker than Halfords. :mail:  I need to practise with it.....a lot!

P

Quoting my own comment here as I am really pi**ed off after getting ready for another go on the Greley/Eastleigh cafeteria with the Carplan Green today!

The bloo*y can would just not spray correctly unless it was upside down...weird. Fortunately I was only testing on the poor old HD metal coach body.

Consequently I have not sprayed the Cafeteria; I'm not risking doing that until I am certain I have a decent can of decent paint that sprays as well as a Halfords can.

Sadly I am led to believe there are no Halfords greens that are suitable. Now, that is very annoying. :triniti:

I really am not good confident enough with the Airbrush and some sort of Railmatch product.

Mad Duck of Notts.

• RMweb Premium

Just a brief update. I have had to bin (well, dispose of correctly at the Dump) the Carplan No 15 Green as it just will not spray. I'd be interested if anyone else has had this problem with Carplan sprays?

By "Dump" I assume you mean "Council Waste and Recycling Site".  

I've searched Halfords and can't find a green that looks right to me.  Mind you the lights in the shop probably don't help.

So where else should I look for car paints ?   I'm not a car person so I don't know such things.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John. A good independent car spares place could carry Carplan paints. Now I know I've had problems with it but the green I had from there looked OK. This range has several greens in it. Worth a trial on a 'donor' vehicle IMO. It is deffo a more 'dense' spray than Halfords though.

I really don't think Halfords has a suitable green for our use (sadly) and this has been stated by others.

I'm probably going to have to dust down the Airbrush and associated equipment and use the Railmatch product. I actually like using the AB but because I'm a lazy sod I try to avoid it due to the prep and aftercleaning that is required when using one.

Having prepped the coach for painting recently (as mentioned above) and then deciding not to proceed, today I took the whizzy saw to the not so very good internal roof to side 'join' that did not clear the window vents adequately. I should have done this earlier, so perhaps someone was looking down on me recently?

The 'join' is now very much neater and glazing should be far easier. I'm pleased I did that.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

D151 Pantry Third for Peterborough North.

Hornby 3rd/ Bill Bedford sides, Frogmore hinges and some scrap brass strip.

First stage completed. pantry end to the right in first pic.

I'll probably do the handles and grabs and I will paint the sides. 

It will need should have HD Bogies (most likely MJT Sides on the existing bogies) and quite a lot of underframe rearrangement/additional parts as well as roof vent rearrangement.

Gilbert will do that and the innards plus anything else required. He finishes these things to his requirements (and that gives me the excuse not to have to do the decals and innards)!

post-2326-0-77264100-1438784334_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-47153200-1438784341_thumb.jpg

This coach has recessed doors and that wasn't the easiest of soldering jobs. If anyone is going to have a go at one I'm happy to discuss what I did. 

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Completed as far as I'm doing it (except for maybe the couplings.....not sure what we are doing about those yet).

attachicon.gifImg_0373.jpg

Q

Actually that was a fib. I've now glazed it and dome some couplings as per Gilbert's requirements. However it hasn't been back to PN since I did that so I don't know if it works in its train.

P

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think this might be one where I have since replaced the bogie sides with MJTs. Will have to check with Gilbert. However there is discussion elsewhere on Tony Wright's thread about this sort of thing. I have posted pics there of the 'lazy' bogie conversion, or should that be the bogie conversion done in a lazy manner?

Completed as far as I'm doing it (except for maybe the couplings.....not sure what we are doing about those yet).

attachicon.gifImg_0373.jpg

Q

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Excellent thread. I've been meaning to ask, as I couldn't find it above, who makes the Cafeteria Car sides? I have a Gresley sleeper that could be repurposed without being missed.

Thanks,

Paul

Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) and they are a really nice etch.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Good to see this topic resurrected Phil.

Thanks BS. However, I believe there are others that could show far more. I think Larry G's stuff might still be lurking on here somewhere? His coach thread was a real inspiration to me a few years back.

If you would like a few more pics of what I do then I'll try to get a grip and put more on here.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I found some more pics of the Gresley/Eastleigh SR Buffet (conversion).

post-2326-0-04231100-1469557644_thumb.jpg 

post-2326-0-60416300-1469557758_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-53249600-1469557769_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-06516500-1469557778_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-04541000-1469557816_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-47377400-1469557832_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-43562900-1469557847_thumb.jpg

I used a Hornby Gresley Buffet Car for the donor and hacked the original Interior to suit!

White things are scrap SP MK1 U.F. fittings from Tony Wright's scrap box(es)

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

D144. Hornby Donor, MJT sides that I didn't really do so well this time, bitsa roof parts (including recycled Hornby torp vents) + the new Mike Trice/Shapeways Kitchen Vents, and MJT HD bogie sides (thinned) just stuck on the filed down Hornby bogies.

To be completed by new owner. I hope it will 'blend in when on his layout. If not, it (the sides) will get scrapped!

post-2326-0-75751500-1470157900_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-86823000-1470157908_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I should have pointed out that the paint job on the above coach was:

roof = Halfords Plastic primer - two or three passes (the new owner will repaint this himself;

sides = Halfords Etch primer (grey) then Halfords Primer Red + two passes of Halfords Ford Burgundy Red.

I'm not happy with this particular result with Burgundy Red having seen the coach in position on a layout with other 'maroon stock' (some done with the same product) and will get some Rover Damask Red for my next effort (as suggested by J Welleans....many thanks). However, as the next paint jobs will be on some of my own coaches, I shall use both and experiment using grey undercoat. These coaches are likely to be quite weathered and so it won't matter too much.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Hello Phil,

I wondered if you had any more information on the BRSR cafeteria conversion as I would like to make one too? I have followed your thread so far, but cannot find any published drawings or measurements for the roof, interior and underframe.

Any assistance would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Thanks

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Hello Phil,

I wondered if you had any more information on the BRSR cafeteria conversion as I would like to make one too? I have followed your thread so far, but cannot find any published drawings or measurements for the roof, interior and underframe.

Any assistance would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Thanks

Tony

PM sent Tony.