JTs mostly modern workbench

hi all,

been kicking about on here mostly in the blogs so thought it was time to take the plunge and get a work bench set up for the various detailing and mod jobs. thought i would start off with what is now some what out dated now its in Caledonian blue project 87002. The basis for this model was hornbys 87004 which in its self is not to bad a model and not to much needing done to it to replicate 87002 last time i seen it on a GB staff charter run with 86101. the majority of the work was done on the roof and internal wiring to add an express models light kit. the roof needed x ariels and fire bottles added which was nothing to major just a case of paint and glue in place. the GSM fin was a spare fin off a air fix kit glued in place and sanded down to size.

post-12315-0-30180100-1428760211_thumb.jpg

Next up was the lights. the kit was supplied by express models and was straight forward to wire up even for a first timer like my self. the moulded lights where drilled out first with a 0.5mm drill bit before being opened up to 2mm. next the LEDs where pushed through the holes and glued in place with a small amount of super glue. the high intensity headlights are the Hornby offering for the class 31s and where glued in place. next bit was the soldering just following what the instructions said to do. The lights where then assigned functions using the ECoS 50200 with them being F0/1 and F2. F0 gives you the head lights on the direction of travel and F1/2 the tail lights which are independently controlled on each end. one point i will add is a resistor would not go a miss while wiring the lights in as the ones on the circuit board don't dim the LEDs resulting in overly bright lights as can be seen from the pictures.

post-12315-0-66077700-1428760882_thumb.jpg

post-12315-0-39468900-1428762375_thumb.jpg

just the final details to be added such as buffer beam pipes and equipment and continuing the cantrail lining round the cabs.

continuing from the blog the network rail stock slowly continues to get worked on. the DBSO is now complete and in primer and a start has been made on the structure gauging train.

post-12315-0-97205500-1428762537_thumb.jpg

post-12315-0-46677700-1428762549_thumb.jpg

post-12315-0-35066800-1428762583_thumb.jpg

should hopefully get more progress pics up sooner rather than later but just depends on work

cheers, JT

• Like 5

it is a shame but not everything can be saved. also on the cards is the new one on the mk2 that has been knocking around scotland with one of the UTU sets which should pass my local on friday so i can get some pics of it at least. also trying to get work done on the layout at the same time but hoping to get the majority on the painting done this week on the stock between other bits that need done. next real task come payday is to order some of these cobalt dcc point motors, a point decoder and a signal decoder and have a play with them to figure out how that all works. i also keep saying i will cut back on buying steam locos but i have 4MT 76084 and it would look rather nice doubled up with 76079 on some WCRC stock :locomotive:  hopefully more pics up tomorrow night if the laptop decides to behave and if i don't spend all day testing the new pendolino!  :no:

yes these are the Hornby option. next time i will be up the loft will be thursday so will have a look for the packet and get back to you. I'm sure shawplan does cast ones and another option would be the replica railways ones. hopefully that should let you get hold of some. 

Is the Class 31 high intensity light available as a spare? Do you happen to know the part code? Thanks

The part is Hornby 6865 class 31 decorative headlight cowling. they come in packs of two.  another option i would recommend is replica railways ones port number RA105 at £1.95 for 4 its a nice cheep option for adding them to heritage diesels. also used cast ones which i think where shawplan but that was a good couple of years ago. hopefully this helps you out.

cheers, JT

• RMweb Premium

The part is Hornby 6865 class 31 decorative headlight cowling. they come in packs of two.  another option i would recommend is replica railways ones port number RA105 at £1.95 for 4 its a nice cheep option for adding them to heritage diesels. also used cast ones which i think where shawplan but that was a good couple of years ago. hopefully this helps you out.

cheers, JT

I believe the Replica part is identical to the Shawplan item........... Used a few on my 31 fleet.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

a small update. today has consisted of seeing larger test trains. 9702 with UTU2 and 37603 providing the power on the back. i really need to model one of the UTU sets as its the most frequent test train in my area thats loco hauled. get the NMT most weeks but it is also on the list for some point. anyway a nice letter from dart castings arrived with the parts for the northern belle. all 192 of them! plan is to detail the interior but i can't afford to put DCC concepts working table lamps in each coach as it would simply be to expensive to do in one go. anyway been playing around with the latest deltic 55019 and have just about got the lighting for the high intensity light to a point I'm happy with it. [

post-12315-0-62663100-1429302017_thumb.jpg

also arriving was 390004 which has had a test run and when stood next to 390012 it really shows what an a**e Hornby of made of the white swoosh on 390004 with it being more beige than white.

post-12315-0-45710500-1429302206_thumb.jpg

hopefully will have a better update tomorrow if i don't lose the plot painting all these tiny parts!

cheers, JT

Piccie of the NB bits? Plz? :angel:

Really great work, the Deltic looks the biz, and I'll be very interested in your Northern Belle project as I've got to do that at some point too.

Jack.

no problem as i actually have them to hand. no the best pics as they are off the phone but they do the job. parts are from dart castings. 

post-12315-0-63051200-1429316033_thumb.jpg

post-12315-0-74534600-1429316045_thumb.jpg

the curtains are for mk1s and are slightly shorter than the mk2 windows or at least they are on the scale drawing of the track recording coach they are but once painted they can be cut in to parts and fixed in place. should also look better once the paints on.

will hopefully get the lot primed on sunday but also have a cab to build for the DBSO now suitable resources have been sent  :mosking:

as for the deltic I'm yet to replace the head code with the plated over panel from shawplan. been waiting till i had a few things ready for spraying just to get it all done at once. also need to buy some of the orange lining for it from fox transfers

Edited by virginhst539
  • Like 1

Right, small note. Hornby have used mk2 TSO interiors on the NB set it seems when in reality it should have been FO interiors. Got some pics I will upload tomorrow including a carriage layout from the NB onboard booklet. Also is it worth emailing Hornby to see if I could buy five mk2d FO interiors? I know with Bachmann you can buy spares this way but never tried with Hornby

• RMweb Gold

Right, small note. Hornby have used mk2 TSO interiors on the NB set it seems when in reality it should have been FO interiors. Got some pics I will upload tomorrow including a carriage layout from the NB onboard booklet. Also is it worth emailing Hornby to see if I could buy five mk2d FO interiors? I know with Bachmann you can buy spares this way but never tried with Hornby

Hi there,

Y0oui can only ask Hornby and hope for the best!

I think you would be better off, probably quicker as well, go to the Swapmeets and Exhibitions.

Why?

Because you could probably buy Airfix/GMR First Open coaches cheaper and easier than the spares from Hornby.

First - check that these are actually TSO interiors! Do not let the moulded colour lead you astray! 

There have been several occasions where the seats have been moulded in the wrong colour plastic.

FO should have 7 seating bays

TSO should have 8 seating bays

If you are successful - I want the TSO seating units!

Thanks

Hopefully this works as I have never done this on the phone.

Here is the northern belle seat plan from the book

post-12315-0-01677000-1429394307_thumb.jpg

And here is the spare seating set from an airfix TSO which matches the ones in the northern belle

post-12315-0-60765800-1429394526_thumb.jpg

And if you have any if the seating units for this and want to do a swap I'm more than happy to ;)

• RMweb Gold

Are your Northern Belle coaches of the FO variety? i.e. 7 windows?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

It appears that Hornby have used the MK2D FO for these coaches - that would be correct from the coach information available.

Anyway....

Virginhst539 - I have 6 Dapol exec livery Mk2D TSO that came with the interior from the FO - so swap would be great!

Let me know...

Thanks

Yes the mk2s have seven windows. I only had one of them opened up to test the spare set in to see how the tables looked in the windows with the new ones. Only tried it with one coach but will check the rest tomorrow. On the plus side the parts look good when test fitted and the new plasticard tables look better than the tiny ones. Even with Hornbys horrible glazing on the older mk2d

post-12315-0-77815800-1429395581_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

It appears that Hornby have used the MK2D FO for these coaches - that would be correct from the coach information available.

Anyway....

Virginhst539 - I have 6 Dapol exec livery Mk2D TSO that came with the interior from the FO - so swap would be great!

Let me know...

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I just wondered if JT was using "other" Mk2D's instead of the Hornby Belle coaches.

Cheers,

Mick

• 8 months later...

slowly getting back into railway modelling with the new year. Got some plans I'm wanting to get done once i get some of the older projects done in what little time i have these days. these projects will include WCRC 47 roy castle OBE, colas class 60 and the current project.

I had thought it was a write off after the buffer beam snapped off but so far so good. hope to get al the frames added to the sides by the end of the week and roof marked out for drilling before filling the head code boxes and getting it fired together into a more coach like form. on another note will need to save some cash and get 423 in its current new livery form for this  :no:

post-12315-0-86345500-1452655563_thumb.jpg

Cheers JT

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Still slowly working away with plans in the works. The main goal being trying to get a layout together in the shed which is not progressing well. The idea of a train care facility had run though my head but can never settle on anything. Planning on doing T2 translator set if I can swap the bogies on the Hornby bsk and getting at least one network rail test train formation made up once I decide on what one. Hopefully one with minimal cut and shut as I really can't seem to do it or must just be doing something wrong but you live and learn. i do still plan on having a full set detailed northern belle even thow I will never have a layout long enough for it with either the two 47s/57s/37s or 68s powering it. Anyway here is a cruel work in progress pic of Caroline. Hopefully won't be ages between updates if I can get the modelling mojo back.

post-12315-0-19219100-1487274085_thumb.jpg

• Like 2