JTs mostly modern workbench

• RMweb Premium

Still slowly working away with plans in the works. The main goal being trying to get a layout together in the shed which is not progressing well. The idea of a train care facility had run though my head but can never settle on anything. Planning on doing T2 translator set if I can swap the bogies on the Hornby bsk and getting at least one network rail test train formation made up once I decide on what one. Hopefully one with minimal cut and shut as I really can't seem to do it or must just be doing something wrong but you live and learn. i do still plan on having a full set detailed northern belle even thow I will never have a layout long enough for it with either the two 47s/57s/37s or 68s powering it. Anyway here is a cruel work in progress pic of Caroline. Hopefully won't be ages between updates if I can get the modelling mojo back.

attachicon.gifIMG_3002.JPG

Nice work so far with 975025.

Quick tip - I cut the footboards back about 0.5mm on mine as they looked too wide. I only discovered this after I painted the edges yellow...........

Cheers,

Mick

Nice work so far with 975025.

Quick tip - I cut the footboards back about 0.5mm on mine as they looked too wide. I only discovered this after I painted the edges yellow...........

Cheers,

Mick

Mick cutting off the yellow edges hope it wasn't too much of a shock and that you gave now recovered

• RMweb Premium

Mick cutting off the yellow edges hope it wasn't too much of a shock and that you gave now recovered

We have the technology. We can make it more yellow than it was..... (obscure 70s TV reference)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Struggling to find current or recent test train formations as they seem to have been shuffled since DRS lost the contract. Was thinking of modelling on of the PLPR sets if anyone has a formation for them

Go to departmentals.com.

Enter the vehicle number and look where it has been sighted.

Then use those dates on the main sightings list. Look for the coaches on the same date/location. You'll soon find out which coaches it works with.

Also use flickr as some photos have the formations listed.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Will see what I can find, PLPR has been up Scotland but unfortunately the mentor is in the formation and that seems a bit out of my comfort zone at the moment

There are four PLPR vehicles and only one MENTOR....

72631/5981/1256/72639

http://departmentals.com/search.php?searchValue=PLPR&btn=

Cheers,

Mick

Well that's model rail done for another year and the wallet empty. Mostly DRS stock this year and another NB 57/3 on order. Does anyone know what colours to use for respraying coaches into northern belle livery? Anyways here's a pic of the latest models and bits for the next projectspost-12315-0-34440300-1488215642_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some free time today which is a rear thing these days so finally got a chance to do some modelling.

Starting off the Dapol class 68 finally came out of its box for decoder fitting which was a tight squeeze but all worked out in the end. The 68 in DRS livery has been a hot topic of discussion to say the least but I'm happy with it. Here is a pic of it on a bit of track for programming post-12315-0-61757600-1488987361_thumb.jpg

Next up is the latest project. Converting this Bachmann mk1 RU to a close representation of a RF 1953 which forms part of the northern belle. Most of the work will be blanking off the two windows and the door on this side. One window on the other side should be the standard size but I think I can live with it staying the slightly smaller one. Today consisted of getting the B4 bogies painted and they just need a touch up. Should hopefully have it ready for primer and painting next week along with a couple of other coaches to make up the rest of the mk2s and mk3s in the fleet. post-12315-0-39106800-1488987787_thumb.jpg

Small update. Progress on the kitchen car is going well. Windows and door blanked with platicard for the windows and think strip for the door. Sanded down again and more filler applied.

post-12315-0-48304000-1489339173_thumb.jpg

Also had the 68 on the northern belle just to see how it looked. Might even get a chance to make a start on the next coach for the formation soon.

post-12315-0-22191000-1489339203_thumb.png

Feel free to post any questions ect regarding the northern belle project. Unfortunately this months model rail has given me ideas for the next luxuary train project.....

Small update. Progress on the kitchen car is going well. Windows and door blanked with platicard for the windows and think strip for the door. Sanded down again and more filler applied.

attachicon.gifIMG_3124.JPG

Also had the 68 on the northern belle just to see how it looked. Might even get a chance to make a start on the next coach for the formation soon.

attachicon.gifIMG_3119.PNG

Feel free to post any questions ect regarding the northern belle project. Unfortunately this months model rail has given me ideas for the next luxuary train project.....

Royal scotsman??

Ben

The very one. Got scale draws of most of the carriages so might make a start to that beginning with the mk3 sleepers seeing I need to buy one for the northern belle which is still a fair bit off with what I want to do with it. Laser glazing at least 7 coaches and interior detailing to name but a couple. Could very well say I have caught the Belmond bug!

Jake

A little more done today while I await paint and start to source decals.post-12315-0-23302100-1489934061_thumb.jpg two coats of filler over the windows blanks and they are just about completely gone. Recon this is about as good as I'm going to get it so next stage is a quick rub down before a coat of white primer followed by the Pullman cream. Also took the Hornby mk2 I bought a couple of weeks back apart to have a look at just to give an idea of how the lamps sit in the windows. Unfortunatly the floor is quite thick but once the tables are done and passengers are in you won't notice it too much post-12315-0-06275600-1489934303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ive gone for the Railtec Royal Scotsman decals. They have all coaches names and details, apart from the new Spa Car name but I'm sure they will be adding that in due course. One lining pack does 4 coaches so 3 will be needed if you are doing the full 10 coach train. Will give you some spares too in case you need them. I'm currently building a Royal Scotsman as well. This is the link for the Railtec transfers.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=Royal+Scotsman

Regards, Hilux

Edited by Hilux5972

Afraid I'm a while off doing my royal Scotsman. The decals are for the northern belle coaches. The kitchen car will be done with the pack from precision labels. I know they do overlays for the northern belle so hopefully it will be easy enough to get water slide decals made up from the art work for them. Thankfully the coach is now at the painting stage so no more filler. Paint for the coaches is in the form of Pullman cream and a mix made by r3spreys to match the Bachmann 57/3 (no idea how close Bachmann matches the Hornby stock). Bought a Hornby mk1 full brake and can't for the life of me figure out how to swap the bogies to match the northern belle luggage car. Another challenge for another day

Fwiw the Northern Belle range will be replenished at Railtec over the coming period to take advantage of the new technology. The big differences are that Railtec product is spot printed so no extra carrier / no fine cutting required, no halftoning so good solid spot colours, the transfers don't scratch or rub off when handled, and they're also compatible with enamels as well as acrylics. We got invited to climb all over the Northern Belle rake with a tape measure so every piece of the detail will be authentically recreated.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Getting back to some normality now exams are done and now have free time to do modelling again. Jumped at the opertunaty and ordered a set of the mentor etches so that's the next project. Going to be using a replica railways mk1 BSK for this over the Hornby one mainly due to the easy bogie swap and the fact you can pick them up fairly cheaply. The etches are fantastic and can't wait to get working with them.

post-12315-0-31091900-1496243277_thumb.png

Unfortunately the northern belle kitchen car has come to a halt due to lack of a functioning airbrush. Looking at getting a more high end and reliable set up, possibly an iwatta airbrush. Would love to hear what everyone else is using and any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

on the note of the mentor, has anyone got or know where I can get hold of a oo gauge pantograph. Looking for something fairly durable like the one fitted to the Hornby 87 on the first page. Did think of a pendolino pantograph and using the coach as one of the 11 car well conversions but seems a bit narrow for this.

Edited by virginhst539

on the note of the mentor, has anyone got or know where I can get hold of a oo gauge pantograph. Looking for something fairly durable like the one fitted to the Hornby 87 on the first page. Did think of a pendolino pantograph and using the coach as one of the 11 car well conversions but seems a bit narrow for this.

post-6665-0-31720600-1497110800_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-55150100-1497110821_thumb.jpg

If interested please contact me using phd_designs@sky.com

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have started finishing off some of my older projects mainly due to being a tad skint this month. Anyway a while back I took a razor saw to a Bachmann EWS van with the aim of it becoming DC 460000 in its condition just prior to getting they laser dust bin prototype fitted. Having wanted to try 3D printing for a while and after four hours of printing in the shed we have this. Hopefully get more done to this next week but I'm very happy with this as a starting point.

post-12315-0-83567200-1498997188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly time to put the dreaded filler away as that's the centre sections had their last little imperfections taken care of. Have also printed a first go of the suspension which I might change slightly.

post-12315-0-41401400-1500553346_thumb.jpg

Hopefully have the vast majority of it done by the end of next week depending if I don't get to drawen in to building a rather nice airfix mk1 hurricane

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

been a year since i last posted and not really done any modeling so its about time this was changed!

got a Bachmann 37/0 body that im needing to strip back to bare plastic. Was dutch but previous owner had painted mainline over it with a brush but with ebay temping me with money off codes was too good to miss given how rare they are just now and with a spare chassis sat on standby, Have got my sights firmly set on what loco it will become. Anyway im needing advice on how to shift the paint off it. Been told a product called modelstrip which i can get locally might do it or superstip. also been told a 50/50 mix of dettol and warm water, fairy sprey cleaner or 90% IPA if left to sit will take the paint off. want to know what everys experence is with them and whats best.... dont want to destory another body. lesson learned!

hopefully will update a bit more now I have a bit more time on my hands