Never satisfied

dibber25

Unlike the F40PH(-2), Amtrak modelers seem to be quite happy with the P40/42 that is available from Kato and Athearn so I would guess there isn't much demand for another model south of the border, which I have to guess makes the numbers work against your hope.

Time may prove me wrong, but I have to think there are other oddball Canadian units that would sell better than an accurate VIA P42 and I don't see those other units getting done either.

I happen to have a number of Athearn P40/P42 models (blue box) and had designated 2 for 'conversion' (read: repaint) in VIA colours. Not gonna happen anytime soon though :( For starters, no paint booth, no decals (do they exist?) and no paint colours either :(

So, some VIA P42's would be welcome here ;) (not too soon, there's a load of stuff on my wish list already and I can't pay for it all at once :P )

Microscale does make decals for the VIA P42's, so that solves half your quandary:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=87-1153&Store_Code=MD&search=via+rail&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

The other half, well, the colour of VIA's P42's is as close to a UK style livery debate as we can get.  Are the blue, are they green, are the metallic, are they flat.  They've been all and the same all at once depending on when they were painted and how faded the paint is at that time.  It's one were if you get ballpark on the paint, you can probably make a case that a VIA p42 looked like the model at some point in time!

Stephen

Microscale does make decals for the VIA P42's, so that solves half your quandary:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=87-1153&Store_Code=MD&search=via+rail&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

The other half, well, the colour of VIA's P42's is as close to a UK style livery debate as we can get.  Are the blue, are they green, are the metallic, are they flat.  They've been all and the same all at once depending on when they were painted and how faded the paint is at that time.  It's one were if you get ballpark on the paint, you can probably make a case that a VIA p42 looked like the model at some point in time!

Stephen

They have definitely been at least two different colours - this becomes very evident when you see a green unit running with a blue valance panel (from another loco).

George's Trains just commissioned a custom run of VIA P42s from Athearn

Adrian

They have definitely been at least two different colours - this becomes very evident when you see a green unit running with a blue valance panel (from another loco).

George's Trains just commissioned a custom run of VIA P42s from Athearn

Adrian

The one in my picture is 905, an Athearn/Georges Trains limited edition in green. I fitted a cab interior. I also have 907 which is a repaint in blue by Dave Lowery and I've fitted that with DCC sound. I found that I couldn't have sound and a cab interior in the same loco because the sound chip is pretty big. I haven't attempted to modify the lights and end details on either of them. The story I heard about the colours was that the locomotives were prone to fires (there's a Safety Board report that shows why the fires occurred) and that the shop which renovated them after the fires only had the green paint that was being used on the F40 rebuilds, so they used that. 

CHRIS LEIGH

The one in my picture is 905, an Athearn/Georges Trains limited edition in green. I fitted a cab interior. I also have 907 which is a repaint in blue by Dave Lowery and I've fitted that with DCC sound. I found that I couldn't have sound and a cab interior in the same loco because the sound chip is pretty big. I haven't attempted to modify the lights and end details on either of them. The story I heard about the colours was that the locomotives were prone to fires (there's a Safety Board report that shows why the fires occurred) and that the shop which renovated them after the fires only had the green paint that was being used on the F40 rebuilds, so they used that. 

CHRIS LEIGH

There were green and blue ones before they started the F40 rebuilds and had metallic green paint available. One story I heard was that the green ones were used for Atlantic Canada (east of Montreal) and the blue ones on the Montreal-Windsor corridor. I don't know if that is true, but I have seen a blue loco with a (non-metallic) green valence panel.

Here is a faded blue one

post-206-0-41108500-1428883935.jpg

Adrian

The colours of the VIA P42 is something that doesn't seem to photograph well.  Though they have definitely been metallic and non-metallic.  The colours also seem very different in different lighting conditions

10282019226_28b3eefa4b_o.jpgInto the Light by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

5275879883_11cce97b73_o.jpgVIA Servicing at TMC by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

I wish i had a good answer to give on paint matching for them, but i really don't, but its a good talking point to try and figure out what the right green/blue is.

Stephen

Here are some photos of the same loco (904) at different points in its life. Compare the colour to the blue stripe on the LRC coaches. It may all be down to the light and/or the way the paint ages, but...

2003: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1910533

2009: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1734787

2010: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2306793

And this one from 2009 - compare with the trailing unit.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1534287

Note that these photos all predate the metallic green repaints.

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Athearn did at least two running numbers in their "Ready to Roll" range, I have 919, Donny4472 on here has the other, the blue/green is really dark though.

attachicon.gif919 web.jpg

Cheers

Craig

It is very dark, though i actually quite like the dark metallic look of the first edition Athearns.

3149780504_515e00ce36_o.jpgVia P42 by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Edit:  I also finally found on my Flickr a shot i couldn't find before.

3555991942_59730717eb_o.jpgVIA P42's at the Distillery by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Two different colours in one place!

-Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I saw a VIA train which had a top-n-tailed set of LRC coaches J-ed with a set of stainless coaches. The lead P42 appeared to be in metallic green, matching the first (refurbished) LRC coach. The rest of the LRC coaches were in the standard scheme. The second P42 was in green as in post #14 and the third one was in blue as in post #8. There were 3 different loco liveries and 3 different coach liveries in the same train.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

The main feature of the 900s at present seems to be the appalling state ( I understand VIA has no money for cleaning) of the exteriors - particularly the ones in the original blue, which are now way past the date for a repaint. Topping the list is 911 which boasts a carpet of bugs, so deep that it appears to have a doormat stuck to the front! This patch is surrounded by missing paint and patches of rusty bare metal. 909 has fewer bugs but more rust. I think I may have some interesting weathering jobs to do as I like to model locos that I've had haulage by. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I picked up the latest one from George's Trains on Sunday, no 920, managed to give it a run with my LRC coaches on a visit to the Pine Ridge Model Railroaders layout in Oshawa yesterday morning, there are a few pics on my layout thread.

post-291-0-45104900-1436276790_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Archived