*EDITED FOR MORE CLARITY*

As you could probably tell, I'm quite new to this forum, even though I read it all the time.

(Also excuse the awful avatar - it's only temporary until I can get a proper picture.)

Anyway, as the title reads I'm going on an ambitious project that has been done before - but hey, what do I have to lose? It only cost $20! ;)

Basically what I plan to do is make Thomas fit in better, with more details and a proper livery, like I've previously done with a damaged Gordon - I'll have to show it.

When I got it in the mail Thursday I was too excited to take any photos of it, but here are the ones from the eBay listing:

post-26000-0-39209900-1428802657_thumb.jpg

Note the drilled eye holes for a Bachmann eye mechanism.

post-26000-0-99846500-1428802736_thumb.jpg

I'll give an update tomorrow with all the progress I've done so far. Stay tuned! 

Edited by 11AJinty
  • Like 1

As promised, here's some more progress photos:

post-26000-0-39177900-1428876231_thumb.jpg

Removing the (improperly applied) paint from the running board.

post-26000-0-61501700-1428876339_thumb.jpg

post-26000-0-86483500-1428876356_thumb.jpg

Thomas is on his chassis mostly sanded down and almost ready to be painted!

Hopefully soon I'll be able to do do more work on it!

(I'm currently working out a steam pipe and handrails - and a replacement motor/chassis - I should be able to cover that later.)

Edited by 11AJinty
  • Like 3

Again, I'm back.

About the chassis; it does work, but it's incredibly slow and needs the coil/shaft(?) to be manually turned before starting, and it often stalls.

I've searched for a replacement a bit, but with little results. Does anybody know a way I could get a fitting motor/chassis for a low price to the US?

More photos:

post-26000-0-52908800-1428975397_thumb.jpg

Okay, just one. Anyway, I've added a steam pipe, safety valve and brake pipe from an old K's Coal Tank, and painted him earlier today - I'll be sure to give an update whenever I prepare it for handrails. 

Thomas as generally illustrated is based quite closely on an LBSCR Class E2 0-6-0T, but the earliest Thomas was/is a 1947 Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T works number #1800, built for British Sugar and now owned by the Nene Valley Railway

image.jpg2_zpsetartvia.jpg

it isn't believed that HC #1800 ever carried the number #1 in revenue service, but there certainly WAS a loco at Peterborough carrying that number in the 1930s

image.jpg4_zpspinbptr2.jpg

HC #1800 appears to have been referred to by its HC number

bscno2-1970_zpstogunpfz.jpg

this is sister engine HC 1746 about 1970

bs-steam_zpsbnxq1xwc.jpg

the tender visible behind HC #1800 in this image indicates that this was taken at Woodston sidings in NVR ownership

image.jpg3_zpss1xovv71.jpg

HC #1800 was known for giving brake van rides at BSC Open Days before passing to the NVR and appears to have carried its distinctive blue liverywith red wheels  in BSC revenue service, but the number 1, red lining, blue cylinder covers and wheels appear to have been added by NVR. However the Rev Awdry (who was Rector of Elsworth with Knapwell, and subsequently Emneth, and would have been familiar with these local engines) visited NVR in 1971 and amid much publicity, named the engine "Thomas"

image.jpg1_zpsxrij3l6s.jpg

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2

Peter's Spares can send you a chassis. It will be brand new, being the newer design it will have great running characteristics. I think all Hornby 0-6-0 chassis is generic so it should be compatible.

Nice work.

Thanks!

Peter's Spares is often expensive, though. I'm sure it's different in the UK, but overseas shipping is painful. I'll wait and see if I can find an affordable one (or a full loco) from the US.

Thomas as generally illustrated is based quite closely on an LBSCR Class E2 0-6-0T, but the earliest Thomas was/is a 1947 Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T works number #1800, built for British Sugar and now owned by the Nene Valley Railway

image.jpg2_zpsetartvia.jpg

it isn't believed that HC #1800 ever carried the number #1 in revenue service, but there certainly WAS a loco at Peterborough carrying that number in the 1930s

image.jpg4_zpspinbptr2.jpg

HC #1800 appears to have been referred to by its HC number

bscno2-1970_zpstogunpfz.jpg

this is sister engine HC 1746 about 1970

bs-steam_zpsbnxq1xwc.jpg

the tender visible behind HC #1800 in this image indicates that this was taken at Woodston sidings in NVR ownership

image.jpg3_zpss1xovv71.jpg

HC #1800 was known for giving brake van rides at BSC Open Days before passing to the NVR and appears to have carried its distinctive blue liverywith red wheels  in BSC revenue service, but the number 1, red lining, blue cylinder covers and wheels appear to have been added by NVR. However the Rev Awdry (who was Rector of Elsworth with Knapwell, and subsequently Emneth, and would have been familiar with these local engines) visited NVR in 1971 and amid much publicity, named the engine "Thomas"

image.jpg1_zpsxrij3l6s.jpg

While I have heard a lot about this loco I've actually never known much of it's backstory!

Thanks for the information!

I live within walking distance of the NVR and see this loco occasionally. It would certsinly have been known to the Rev in its revenue service days.

I find I've misquoted the infirmation - the photo shows the loco being named while still at BSC, the brake vans can be seen.

I'll also mention that the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway - the prototype for Toby the Tram Engine's line - still exists in part, although no trains have run for many years

Edited by rockershovel

I live within walking distance of the NVR and see this loco occasionally. It would certsinly have been known to the Rev in its revenue service days.

I find I've misquoted the infirmation - the photo shows the loco being named while still at BSC, the brake vans can be seen.

I'll also mention that the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway - the prototype for Toby the Tram Engine's line - still exists in part, although no trains have run for many years

Which bit of the W&U still survives? I'd be interested to see it, I travel the route frequently?

Stewart

That's very interesting about the W&U. I had no idea!

The NVR's Thomas is also the only one that doesn't need a license from the Americans who own the rights, as the Rev himself named it. The only clause with that is it isn't allowed a three dimensional face. Hence why it always carries the painted wooden one, which I think add more charm. I believe the picture above showing 1800 (Thomas) next to the tender was whilst it was still in service with British sugar, as the 'Peterborough railway society' as it was then did store standard 5 73050 at the BSC works for a while.

The Britt Allcroft organisation did indeed indulge in a rather mean-spirited lawsuit agsinst the NVR, and the current situation is the outcome. Their publicity is VERY carefully worded as part of the settlement - "an engine named Thomas" etc, and the other engines which appear carrying faces as "Thomas' friends" on "Thomas days" aren't named, although they do posess a Hunslet 0-6-0ST in a virulent green livery (LNER Apple Green, apparently) bestowed on it by Peter Brotherhoods apprentices in the 1970s but sadly long out of commission, doing duty as "footplate accessible" at Yarwell the last time I looked.

However NVR can, and do advertise that Thomas is the only such locomotive recognised by the Rev Awdry (since this is not disputed), it appears as Thomas year-round, and really is a "proper" steam engine, so children appear satisfied.

The W&U route is quite easy to follow, much of it either runs along the roadside in any case and most of the rest survives as farm droves serving the same function today.

It is widely believed that the level crossing on the new bypass (recently lifted, although some track remains either side) is part of the W&U, but this is incorrect - it is part of the former branch line to March.

Some of the minor structures survive, notably the brick office and skew bridge abutments in Outwell. One coach survives, magnificently restored at the Holt to Sheringham preserved railway (another minor gem, by the way) where it forms part of their "Titfield Thunderbolt" train. It dud, indeed appear in that film - truly East Anglia is a place of wonders! One of the Drewry shunters also survives in preservation although it's tramway fittings are long gone.

The Britt Allcroft organisation did indeed indulge in a rather mean-spirited lawsuit agsinst the NVR, and the current situation is the outcome. Their publicity is VERY carefully worded as part of the settlement - "an engine named Thomas" etc, and the other engines which appear carrying faces as "Thomas' friends" on "Thomas days" aren't named, although they do posess a Hunslet 0-6-0ST in a virulent green livery (LNER Apple Green, apparently) bestowed on it by Peter Brotherhoods apprentices in the 1970s but sadly long out of commission, doing duty as "footplate accessible" at Yarwell the last time I looked.

However NVR can, and do advertise that Thomas is the only such locomotive recognised by the Rev Awdry (since this is not disputed), it appears as Thomas year-round, and really is a "proper" steam engine, so children appear satisfied.

Very interesting.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

One coach survives, magnificently restored at the Holt to Sheringham preserved railway (another minor gem, by the way) where it forms part of their "Titfield Thunderbolt" train. It dud, indeed appear in that film - truly East ...

It was that coach's sister vehicle that appeared in the film, and was later broken up :(

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been rather inactive here.

I'm glad that you saw this - I had known that it was yours and meant to show it to you but I never really got the time. 

It's been painted for a while now - when I do get the time I'll take pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everybody, just wanted to say that the project has long been abandoned, and since I just sold the model here's a picture to show all the progress I had made:

post-26000-0-09019200-1518359084_thumb.jpg

Note the Bachmann face - I was able to source a smokebox door, but decided to save it for future projects, so I threw in a spare face. I've abandoned this project, but am currently working on a much better one; a freelance colliery layout. Pretty much all the actual industrial engines are currently on pre-order, but here are the two engines I have so far:

flirt_n__siren_by_carnforthjinty-dbyor15

I'll be making a workbench thread soon, once progress starts on the actual layout - stay tuned!

Edited by 11AJinty
  • Like 3