Severnside 'OO'

Deev

Hi all,

It looks like my thread on the old RMweb has finally died. Shame really, as it showed all the planning and rationale behind my layout project. Oh well, never mind.

The gist is that the layout is a glorified tail-chaser that runs on two levels, can be taken up and down pretty quickly and has a 2.4m long 12-road fiddleyard.

The layout is set in 2007, and as it's set somewhere near Bristol (as this is where I live). The bottom level is populated by FGW HSTs, fast-moving 158s, maybe the EWS exec train if Hornby ever manage to get one out of China, 67s on Virgin Mk3s, etc.

The top level will be mostly freight, 66s on coal wagons (EWS and Freightliner) and other bits and bobs.

After much thought, the feature of the layout will be a ready-mixed cement facility to give something different to model (and there's one on my way to work that I can look at) and to give some operation interest and somewhere for a 08 to park.

Much work to do, but here's the latest progress. All the track is glued down and although you can't see it, most of the wiring is done underneath. Fiddleyard is behind the main board.

post-7760-12661577138391_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a few months since my last post, as progress has been sloooow over the summer. However, I've nearly done all the woodwork and 90% of the track is down, so that's a bit of a milestone. I've altered the design so that the layout is in 2 halves, the scenic side and the fiddle / storage yard side.

Here's a view of the layout in its entirety in my garden.

post-7760-128310449111_thumb.jpg

post-7760-128310459416_thumb.jpg

It's been designed to stand on just 4 trestles, hence the long and beefy construction. The layout runs on two separate levels, to enable plenty of storage for long trains. I'd really like a 7 coach HST, but the fiddleyard will only accommodate 2xPC +5xMk3s, which is a shame.

post-7760-128310466474_thumb.jpg

post-7760-128310471106_thumb.jpg

I've done several iterations of the layout and have learned a lot! For example, access is key fo dealing with rolling stock mishaps, so I've ensured I can get to pretty much everywhere. Also, there are 'fences' in most areas to catch errant rolling stock (learned after a loco dropped off the layout - whoops).

Hi guys,

The two loops aren't linked, mainly because I couldn't work out a satisfactorily light and reliable way of doing it. Minimum radii on this layout are 505mm, which would mean a gradient of 1 in 30 minimum and I wasn't sure if my locos would do that and it doesn't look very prototypical. In addition, the points take up extra room in the fiddleyard which robs the maximum train length (one of the key aims of the layout).

Dave

Hi, just found this. Have to say the baseboards are very impressive, and looks interesting operationally if you are having trains passing on the low level whilst there is shunting going on on the high level. Will look forward to more updates in the future.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks - it's been a challenge to get it this far (so frustrating not being able to run trains). I've devised a pulley system to stow the layout out of the way, but my garage has an up-and-over door, which means that there's only 200mm between the roof and the top of the door as it swings, so pretty much all the woodwork is structural. The top 'deck' is freight only, so, like you say, there'll be some scope for some interesting shunting operation and the lower 'deck' is for passenger trains (HSTs, EWS office, 67 on Mk2/3s, 158s, steam specials and, because it's Bristol, 143s!)

The layout will run fully automatically and has a Lenz Li-USB / Set 90 cab that I run through my netbook / JMRI. I've got 3 x LDT RS8 block detectors, which gives a total of 24 blocks. 12 of the blocks are for the fiddleyard, 4 are for stopping areas on the scenic area (for signals) and the remaining 8 are for the fiddleyard approach.

Next job is to finish the last of the track and then wire it all up.

Dave

Not managed to do much trackwork this week, but here are a few pics of the construction phase of the layout. The photos show the original configuration of the layout, which had the fiddleyard and the scenic section as two separate sections (2620mm length) with 2 ‘D’-shaped sections at each end to join the scenic section to the FY. However, after a few attempts, this didn’t work: because the height of the layout is limited due to the requirement to stow it in the roof of the garage, the strain on the bolts causedby the bending moment of the D-section when fitted was too much and it didn’t align properly. Instead, I’ve opted for 2 boards, of 3900mm length with 2 joints. Much more reliable, albeit less manageable to move.

Dave

post-7760-128342286124_thumb.jpg

post-7760-128342293671_thumb.jpg

post-7760-128342299269_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I've spent the last couple of nights making a start on the wiring. LDT RS8s are in place, as is the command station. I've been giving some serious thought the getting a prototypical-length HST (2+7) into the layout whilst keeping the layout useable. The FY is 2560mm in length, but the length of the sidings is only 2020mm due to the length of the 3-way points and curves.

After much head-scratching (including making the FY longer and using curving tracks) I've come up with a solution.

Basically the occupancy blocks will be laid and wired as shown here:

post-7760-038796800 1283945782_thumb.jpg

So, to run a full-formation HST, I'll need to drive it out of the FY backwards and stop it when the rear PC triggers the (in) block, I'll then send the next train out as far as the scenic block and stop it at the signal. Next, I'll roll the HST through the FY to the (out) block, then move the train in the scenic loop forward into the FY, then I'll move the HST back.

Okay, this is a massively complex way of doing it and will require some in-depth coding, but I'm easily bored. I've checked that a rake of 8 coaches can be propelled through the FY and it can, so the trackwork is okay - phew! Just need to get on with wiring now!

Dave

Hi Rammy,

Yep - it is complicated, but it's still a DCC-based system. Here's some more explanation:

The Lenz DCC system works via a bus system called XpressNet, via which all systems communicate. So, the handsets are connected to the command station via XpressNet. In place of one of the controllers, I've got a LiUSB XpressNet to USB interface, which allows me to control the layout from the PC. http://www.digital-plus.de/e/digitalplus_pc.php Seems like there's even a posh ethernet-based one nowadays!

The Lenz system also has a feedback bus, know as the RS bus. This bus communicates with devices on the layout that provide feedback. In my case, I have 3 x LDT RS8s. (http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/rs8_e.htm). These measure changes in current draw. For example, a loco might pull 500mA, so when the loco enters the monitored section, the RS8 detect that the flow of current has gone from 0mA to 500mA and will send a signal to the command station to say something has happened, then the command will be relayed to the PC. The PC can then choose to ignore the signal or do something about it (like stop the loco, or turn its lights on, or play a sound, or anything really).

I'm using JMRI software to control my layout as I'm too cheap to buy RailRoad and Co.'s software.

Hope that helps, I enjoy the electronics bit more than the scenic bit.

Dave

P.S. I used to love going to the Baseball Ground all those years ago!

Thanks for the explanation Dave - still not a clue though! lol

Yes its a shame the BBG is not there any more. Pride Park is a nice new stadium, but it will never have the old atmosphere of the BBG.

Dave

Hi Sam,

I'm running the following:

EWS 67 on debranded Virgin Mk3s

158 in Wales and Wessex Alphaline livery

158 in Northern Rail / First hybrid livery

FGW HST (one day I hope, my 1970s HST set is having to suffice at present!!)

FGW 143 (when it is released!)

Virgin Voyager (220)

Freightliner 57 on PCAs

Freightliner 66 on HHAs

EWS 66 on HTAs

EWS 66 on mixed livery seacows

EWS 60 (Blue Mainline) on Tarmac JGAs

EWS 60 (Trainload livery) on PNAs

08 shunter

I've a couple of 67s as well as one day I'd like to build an RHTT as there's one based at Bristol Barton Hill in the autumn.

Basicaly, if I see it rolling round Bristol, I try and wait and get one in the sale. Noticed a few car-carrying trains from the Honda factory rolling along the GW mainline, which would be an interesting (and expensive) addition to the fleet.

Dave

Hi all,

No interesting progress made lately, but here is an almost wired LDT RS8 (and Team Digital switch machine). This thing needs an incredible amount of inputs, 3 x DCC supply, 8 x track inputs and the twisted pair RS bus. One thing I've learned whilst wiring is to WRITE THE COLOUR CODES DOWN!!!

It's not the tidiness bit of wiring ever, but it doesn't really matter and it's the best I can be bothered to do. Any pointers on how to do it better?

Dave

post-7760-029109900 1284411424_thumb.jpg

Spent a few hours wiring today - the lower level of the fiddleyard is completely wired now. Was careful to segregate the RS bus and JK bus to minimise interface (with luck). Should be easy to hook up the upper level now, as the power lines and the RS8s are all in place so it's a simple soldering job after the lower level has been tested.

Made a start on the wiring for the main scenic area too, installed the command station and the PSU, so hopefully I'll be able to run a functional test soon (Sunday I hope!).

post-7760-038488500 1284745461_thumb.jpg

My thoughts have now turned to the scenic side, the retaining wall mainly. What I'd like to achieve for the lower level is shown in this photo:

post-7760-018059500 1284745773_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any tips or contacts for replicating the retaining wall like the one shown? (Northern approach to Bristol Temple Meads, near Lawrence hill in case yo're wondering where the photo is).

Dave

Was that a Dapol track cleaner I saw being pulled around then Dave?

How do you find it? Does it do the job?

I have thought about investing in one as it would make life a lot easier with me having a 2 layer layout.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, it is indeed a Dapol track cleaner. So far I've not been that impressed, it seems to derail for fun (no other stock does that) and the hoover doesn't seem to work too reliably. That said, when the hoover does work, it picks up an amazing amount of rubbish and I've not given it much of a chance to prove itself so won't judge it just yet - hopefully things will improve.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not been spending much time on the layout lately as I've been playing with my DCC control setup.

I've found a new program on the internet called RocRail (www.rocrail.net). Basically, this is a free-to-download application that looks a lot like the Railroad and Co. software.

What is clever, is that there's an add on to allow the use of remote devices to control the layout. As such, I used my aPad tablet PC running Android Operating system. After considerable faffing about with settings, I got it all working. It's not a massively complex system, the layout 'talks' to the DCC system (Lenz LVZ100 command station), which then talks to the PC via the Xpressnet LiUSB device. As the PC is connected to my house's wireless system, it's a straightforward link to the aPad.

Here's a quick demo:

Really impressed with the capabilities of this system, certainly easier to use than the LH90 handset!

Dave

I've found a new program on the internet called RocRail (www.rocrail.net). Basically, this is a free-to-download application that looks a lot like the Railroad and Co. software.

Dave

Hi Dave.

How do you find RocRail compared to JMRI? You obviously have a working knowledge of JMRI, unlike myself who is just starting out with basic layout control and is looking for a free program to play with. I would also be using a android device via wifi. I knew JMRI had a android throttle but was unaware RocRail had one till now. ....... Hmm decisions decisions. Any help/advice/feedback on the two programs appreciated.

Guy

Archived