Severnside 'OO'

Deev

Hi Guy,

I've only just installed RocRail myself, but I've run JMRI for a couple of years, so it's a bit hard to compare.

There are advantages to both systems, JMRI for example allows total control of the layout, but it requires the operator to write scripts for maximum effect. There is a graphical interface, but it's not very easy to use. RocRail on the other hand is very simple to use and has a better user interface, but it can't offer the level of control and automation that JMRI can.

The AndRoc add in is really good as it's just an extension of the RocRail database, so all changes that you make on the PC are mirrored on to the handset. If you've got an Android phone or an Apple phone and WiFi then it's a 'no-brainer' to use RocRail for this function, especially if you don't have a ESU system.

My advice is to start off with RocRail, to get started. I don't reckon most layouts will need the run capabilities that JMRI offers and RocRail is more intuitive. The JMRI decoder pro software is really good - definitely use that!

Both software packages are free to download, so maybe try both!

Dave

Nice one - which DCC system do you have?

Dave

Hi Dave

Guy covers mouth with hand and mutters "Hornby Elite"

Which is one of the reasons I was looking at JMRI-Android Phone (which I have) -Engine driver for JMRI WiThrottle combination.

I have downloaded JMRI and the android throttle, but have gone no further yet.

Also I saw a demo of MERG's CBUS system with seems a very effective way of point control and route selection and apparently has full JMRI support. I have just got to make a decision and get on with it!!

I think I will start a layout thread and that might give me the impetus to crack on!!!

Guy

Hi Guy,

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the Elite, especially the USB part, there's lots of info about it on the RocRail support site. think the feedback is a bit limited as I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a feedback bus (like the Lenz RS bus).

Have you considered using servos for your point motors? (http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/singletservodecoder.html) I've got a few of the singlet servo drivers for my scenic points. These plug straight in to the DCC bus and you can move points with a tiny servo. Cost works out at about the same as a point motor and decoder, but these are much more convenient and prototypical.

Dave

Archived