1076 0-6-0ST

Blackstoat

Hi all

I'm new to this, so if I ask an obvious question apologies in advance.

I have a Scorpio 0-6-0st outside frame kit on the way and I'm looking for some reference photographs. Ideally I'm after the extended frame version between 1880 and 1890.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Andy

Good question! Strictly speaking, the extended version is the 1134 class. Earlier engines would have had side tanks or short saddle tanks at your period. Most of the printed photos I'm aware of are after the 1888-1902 rebuilds and the best 1880s photos are of the broad gauge convertibles in broad gauge form (e.g. 1256 in Geof Sheppard's Broad Gauge Locomotives). Do you have a copy of the RCTS book The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, Part 5, Six-coupled Tanks? It does have some small photos from the 1880s, but the text is essential to understanding the early development of these engines.

I've not seen the Scorpio kit. Does it allow for the earlier pre-rebuild features?

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks very much for the reply.

Unfortunately I don't have the instructions to hand and I'm away from home for the next few days. However when I scanned through the instructions the other day it looked as though most variations were possible, either straight out of the box, or with some modification.

My understanding is that all 1076 Class were manufactured by 1870 - 1881. Later variations (1874 onwards) saw the introduction of a full saddle to cover the smokebox, some with a slight increase in the rear footplate length no doubt to accommodate a larger coal bunker. The Scorpio Kit does allow for both short & extended rear footplate versions virtually out of the box.  

There were seemingly large numbers of these Locos built, but photos, plans etc of their original configuration seem hard to find. (Perhaps I should have gone for a Pannier Tank?)

This is the best I've found so far - courtesy of a Google search http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls2062.htm

Thanks for your help

Andy

Hi Andy,

For the original builds there are three different types. 1076-81 built in 1870 were side tanks with a 5'2" overhang behind the rear axle. 727-56 and 947-66 built 1872-4 had short 5-course saddle tanks with the smokebox exposed and a rear overhang of 6'. 1134 onwards built 1874-81 had full-length 6-course tanks and a 6'9" rear overhang. Initially all had just a spectacle plate and cabs started to appear from 1878 on new builds, and throughout the 1880s on earlier engines. Other variations include chimneys from bell-mouth types on the earliest engines to typical Dean types on later rebuilds/updates. There was also much variation in boilers until about 1900, resulting in different placing of the dome.  All were eventually rebuilt from 1888 to 1902. The earliest rebuilds had 6-course tanks, then 5-course from 1895 and finally 3-course from about 1898 (IIRC). Your photo of 1231 is the last rebuilt type.

Nick

Archived