Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWP_20160106_13_53_51_Pro.jpg

A driver's eye view along the LOR approaching Herculaneum as a rebuilt train goes the other way towards Seaforth. Just one brake van left in Brunswick exchange yard after all the test stock had been removed to move the layout.

I do need to replace that missing arm from the CLC signal in the yard...

Edited by Barry O

If they work, why not make them the permanent solution?

How about a small rare earth magnet underneath the end of each board, and another on each end of a small piece of stiff brass or wood which acts as the joiner under and between the two boards? Just superglue an REMs to each boards end, let another attract itself to each, then a blob of superglue on those second magnets and hold the brass or wood to them for a few seconds. Leave to dry and then when wanting to disengage magnets, slide them apart, don't tug. Being strong REMs, you have perfect location each time as they will centre onto each other's magnetic field in the same place each time. Little 5 or 10mm REM discs would do for things like this. 

aac

New number will be "cleaned" or it was in the photos I have found in various books. Of course they are all in black and white!

Baz

Drivers would clean the cabside number to make sure they were taking the right loco out! :scratchhead:

post-276-0-85696700-1452944955.jpg

An example of one of the "old school" drivers wanting his loco to carry still the number it was first allocated.

Very remiss of me not to credit Rippers with the weathering and number "alteration" although that part was my idea. :good_mini:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

B9 now painted and ready for Barry's dirt. 61475 was the last survivor of the B9s, very few got BR numbers and this one is still clearly in LNER livery with the number altered.

attachicon.gif61475 br.JPG

Is 61475 getting worksplates on the cabsides before the weathering goes on?  I've long fancied having a crack at modelling this one as every other Foxline book on South Manchester's railways seems to feature it on a Halewood-Dewsnap freight on the Fallowfield Loop.

Simon

Hi Mike,

Just read a book on my Kindle - Liverpool's Railways through time. Written by Hugh Hollinghurst, published by Amberley Publishing in 2015.

It has some photos of the overhead railway and Hurculaneum dock. It also has a photograph of a model of the overhead and another of the model of Hurculaneum.

Lofty

• RMweb Premium

B9 now painted and ready for Barry's dirt. 61475 was the last survivor of the B9s, very few got BR numbers and this one is still clearly in LNER livery with the number altered.

attachicon.gif61475 br.JPG

Doesn't look like that anymore. Photo later if I can get some decent ones..

• RMweb Gold

The layout is great and runs really well but the lack of natural light in the theatre did make for dark shadows at the front. Adding a few more soft lights at the front to get rid of those strong shadows would be worth it to show off all the detail :)

• RMweb Premium

The layout is great and runs really well but the lack of natural light in the theatre did make for dark shadows at the front. Adding a few more soft lights at the front to get rid of those strong shadows would be worth it to show off all the detail :)

If you can solve the lighting conundrum so that the layout can be lit more easily without any obstruction of the view from the front of the layout I am sure Mike would be delighted. 

To be honest, the Theatre was even darker than we expected

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Baz, I've used aluminium angle sold in B&Q with LED light strips on the last two layouts as they were 3 - 3.5 ft deep. The first had T cantilevers hidden amongst trees a foot from the back and the second had three foot long wooden supports as seen here, the angles are 6ft long so you could cover the whole layout with a couple of beams at the rear and shorter ones at the ends?

254F4275-9075-4997-B28B-B23EEF774ABA-152

In this case I'd use the existing wooden upright with an aluminium beam and 45° brace. The angle is very light and I painted it using etch primer followed by car spray paints, both from Halfords.

I also mounted the LED strips on plastic L strips so the operators aren't blinded by the lights at the rear. The aluminium on the inside was left bare to act as a reflector.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2