Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

• RMweb Gold

It's a stunning layout and what's more plenty happening too. My comments about the lights were just an observation that some of that detail, on the overhead railway and industrial tracks beneath was pretty dark because of the lack of ambient light in the theatre. When I saw it at Warley that wasn't a problem and seeing it again was one of the best reasons for dragging myself out of bed early after a week of nights ;) Well worth it as the show as a whole was good too.

• RMweb Gold

If you can solve the lighting conundrum so that the layout can be lit more easily without any obstruction of the view from the front of the layout I am sure Mike would be delighted. 

To be honest, the Theatre was even darker than we expected

Baz

Would working yard or street lamps help?

• RMweb Premium

Amazed to see that it went to Southampton after all the trouble taken to shoe-horn it into the shed. I wondered if that would be a final move.

It's back safely in the shed now, despite the van being nearly blown off the road on the way back. it should be working again soon but first we'll put it up sort of inside out so that Mr. oliver can finish weathering the overhead.

It's booked to appear at Liverpool exhibition next year but otherwise no bookings, not sure why, it's always very popular with the punters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

so I managed to sort out my stock boxes over the weekend. As usual one of Mikes' wagons was lurking in a stock box but I am short of a number of silver tankers... plenty of time to get things repaired before the next outing for the layout.

Baz

Having kept an eye on Mikes progress of Herculaneum dock and seen it in Southampton, apart from the request of better lighting, is there any chance of raising the height of the layout?

A lot of the interesting industrial stuff appeared to be hidden under the L.O.R, so bended knees / back was required to look underneath.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

We would have to be stood on boxes to see over the rock wall at the back then. Perhaps we should provide some chairs at the front when it's not too busy, if anyone remembers Cwmafon back in the 1980s Barry O's dad used to find a chair or a stool and sit in front of it all day.

• RMweb Premium

We would have to be stood on boxes to see over the rock wall at the back then. Perhaps we should provide some chairs at the front when it's not too busy, if anyone remembers Cwmafon back in the 1980s Barry O's dad used to find a chair or a stool and sit in front of it all day.

Ken Nelson used to find a stool and work the loco shed all day.

• RMweb Premium

A lady in a wheelchair commented on the height of the layout - but didn't realise there was more layout behind the LOR.

If I could have found some chairs at southampton a few in front of teh layout would have been strategically placed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So, last night in the pub after our last club meeting in temple works, a few led based lighting ideas were chewed over. Using dimmable LEDs fitted in a box along the front of the layout a solution to being able to see under the impression umbrella may be up for further review.

Why dimmable LEDs? The umbrella provided a dark cover over the dock railway making it a bit dark and gloomy.

At some point I shall be finishing the weathering on the umbrella, that's when some extra low level lighting will come into its own

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Barry that sounds good, you may also find it's necessary to trial something to diffuse the LED's as you can get reflections on the rail showing the multiple individual points of light.

It depends really on how high your rig is, the closer it gets the more it reflects. I use a aluminium angle to bounce the light off the brushed surface but tracing paper or frosted plastic also work in front of the LED's as there's minimal heat created.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Paul

its getting the light low enough not to sit up along the edge of the baseboard and not to dazzle the operators. It isn't generally a problem but at Southampton the theatre was very dark.. far more than at Warley

baz

• RMweb Gold

Just for interest here was my solution. A plastic L strip from B&Q, sold in the stand with the other metal angle materials, It shileds the LED.s from the operator and controls the lit area to just above the backscene so you don't get a line on there. You only get dazzled if you are right on the top of the backscene. Hopefully this exaggerated diagram explains it.

post-6968-0-91152800-1456398926.jpg

Non-technical suggestion: If even the so called "warm white" LEDs are too harshly blue-white for your tastes (and they are far bluer than incandescent bulbs or halogens from what I've seen) then just go over part of the lens of each LED unit with an orange highlighter pen until the desired "warmth" of white is achieved.

• RMweb Premium

Just for interest here was my solution. A plastic L strip from B&Q, sold in the stand with the other metal angle materials, It shileds the LED.s from the operator and controls the lit area to just above the backscene so you don't get a line on there. You only get dazzled if you are right on the top of the backscene. Hopefully this exaggerated diagram explains it.

attachicon.giflights.JPG

Yes but Herculaneum Dock is 4ft wide in the middle, although narrower at the ends.

• RMweb Gold

Yes but Herculaneum Dock is 4ft wide in the middle, although narrower at the ends.

Well the example I posted on the previous page was 3.5 feet deep in the middle and that was done with wood supports ;)

The supports could be bolted instead of riveted so they fold flat for transport, it is very lightweight.

Just ideas I've played with and I know that theatre was very dark with little ambient light but I've been put on similarly dark stages a few times and switching on the spotlights roasted us so it was a bit catch 22. ;)

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Doesn't matter what happens we always seem to be short of brake vans so...

post-7650-0-65779000-1475508169_thumb.jpg

while the 4 wheeler has been used before a new edition - in this case a Jidenco 6 wheel ex CLC brake van. 

A couple of other ex LM unfitted brakes are in process as well.

Baz

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Could be some more weathering of the Liverpool Overhead Railway structure can be done shortly. Hopefully with it all in one piece on the layout I can match all of the weathering up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Typical! I have been to weather the overhead just when the temperature drops! Now all complete (he says hopefully) no photos though as it was all still drying when I left.

Hopefully Mike can add some photos before the layout is moved back into position.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ta very much for that .. expect the sub tropical temperatures to continue when I go to do some "helping" next week on Grantham... as it is you need warmth to dry teh ink so you can see what shade it has dried as...

Baz