Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium
On 19/05/2020 at 00:48, St Enodoc said:

Very nice Mike. What happened to the Leeds and Dewsbury 'tables?

The 70ft one from Dewsbury is now at Carlisle Upperby, still working after some modification and DCC fitting.

t.jpg.6f314afb6c9e61b652294c00f2b29454.jpg

John Aldrick has the 65ft one from Victoria for the Bournemouth West project.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I’m intrigued Mike. You may be aware of our Bournemouth West exhibition layout. Having done all the research and produced the layout I’m not aware of any turntable at Bournemouth West, except at Branscombe shed. Is this an ongoing project???

• RMweb Premium

Two more photos from the turntable.

t24.jpg.78819318efee65dcc3541f2e6898fd77.jpg

t25.jpg.eb7f10cab197087f77e7da162e373e83.jpg

Some modifications to the baseboard at the Dingle end and then I'll start dismantling it. Once the first board is down I'll be able to get the Wentworth Junction boards out to paint the track. The Liverpool end of the layout will stay up for a while to check the connecting bits on to the fiddle yard.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Lining up the turntable (particularly for the Hammer) would be easy peasy if we had a suitable camera in place.... only a gentle hint...

baz

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2020 at 01:53, St Enodoc said:

Someone else will probably give more up-to-date information but in the meantime have a look here:

http://leedsmrs.org/project1.html

Ah ok it’s a fictitious scene, not that that makes it any less valid than any other. Be interesting to see any progress though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some wagons have been repaired..

CLC 4 wheel brake van

243865970_CLC4wheelBrakeVan.JPG.fe6d7e25ca1da52f0ded12e6a5d129c4.JPG

4 21T minerals

75374386_421Tminerals.JPG.cd8efef5cee2c238d4af94fccba01756.JPG

and two 24.5 R minerals

1782469555_Reworked24amdhalftonmineras.JPG.8aa5496f6b679c9e972c6df811910b6b.JPG

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

One small modification to the LOR before packing everything away again.

IMG_0910.JPG.f936344e093e51f23fd88267d60111ed.JPG

This is the only workable point on the railway, the others are all sprung but this selects between the two roads of the car shed. It's always just been finger poked before and not very reliable, now there's a small wire handle sticking out of the girder to change it - still a job for the dock operator though. Incidentally neither this nor the sharp curve were responsible for derailments into the curved road of the shed - it turned out to be an incorrectly set check rail.

Two of the colour light signals on the LOR had been giving problems, randomly going to red or flashing red/green. I tracked this down to the wire connecting the signal sensors on the crossover section, changed this, re-connected everything, still faulty. Did it again and re-routed the wires, still faulty. This was only the down side signals, the up side all worked perfectly. As a last resort I tried using the conductor rail to carry this but no joy there. Eventually the only solution was to take this connecting wire out of the structure completely (it will have to be run under the baseboard), presumably it's an interference problem, not helped by the whole LOR structure being live to one running rail.

IMG_0915.JPG.511e1940eec1917c80ecee07ba496640.JPG

This was the jumble in the shed first thing today, last Herculaneum board still up to repair the area round the MDHB loco shed.

IMG_0918.JPG.6ed60752faa7fb19b34625287d24133a.JPG

A bit better now with all six boards crated up and the Wentworth Junction boards back after track painting.

IMG_0916.JPG.066b4c2d30832bf528c7d1e50e8b46e1.JPG

Track painting done outside in this perfect weather - paint dries really fast.

• Like 11

On 18/03/2018 at 12:18, Art Dent said:

Hi Folks

I really wanted to see this at Nottingham but 170 cm / 7 inches of snow have put paid to that - can't get out of my house!

When and where will you be exhibiting Herculanium Dock next?

Art

Hello folks,

What a great layout.  Back in March 2018, I asked where Herculaneum Dock was next being exhibited and I missed out on the Nottingham Show because of snow (missed York that year for exactly the same reason).

Bristol was too far and of course this year we've had Covid-19.

I have a DVD of the LOR (it was originally on VHS cassette) which is still available at Amazon and a book called "The Docker's Umbrella" as my mother used to use the LOR in the 50's (sadly it had closed and all but gone by the time I was born in mid-58).

Any plans to exhibit in late 2020 or 2021 at all?

Cheers.

Art

Thanks Michael.

That's on 24th & 25th October this year at Leeds Grammar School, Harrogate Road, Leeds, LS17 9NA?

Herculanium Dock doesn't appear on the list of 'Layouts attending to date' although it does say 'please ignore this list' (!)

Cheers,

Art

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Art Dent said:

Thanks Michael.

That's on 24th & 25th October this year at Leeds Grammar School, Harrogate Road, Leeds, LS17 9NA?

Herculanium Dock doesn't appear on the list of 'Layouts attending to date' although it does say 'please ignore this list' (!)

Cheers,

Art

Looks like the 2019 layouts list.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So in a desire to "quieten"  a couple of locos down some changes to motors and gearboxes have been undertaken this week.

1985545882_N5(2400x1111).jpg.1a697d13b5873f58ade49039fa70d704.jpg

My Dad's scratchbuilt N5 has had the X04 and gear removed and a Comet motor and gearbox fitted.

Fairburn 42286 (which has a DJH chassis) now has a hi Level Hi Flyer with the last of my Mashima motors fitted..

Both are  a lot quieter!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spellung
  • Like 10

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

At last! Time to get Herculaneum Dock back on the road. It is in the big hall at the Leeds show this weekend.

@Michael Edge bring the lights.. it will be darkish in the Hall.

Watch out for new locos and stock other layout.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a long period of storage the layout wasn't exactly on its best behaviour at Leeds, made worse by lack of operating staff. That's usual at our own show but this year was really difficult although some willing volunteers were trained up successfully. For the last two hours the DCC failed and we couldn't run very much at all properly.

IMG_0930.jpg.7796dc60a5693a1a42552619c29dfffc.jpg

The layout is now stacked up in the garage, still needs covering up. It does take up quite a bit of space (no, we don't have too many bikes in there - only four) but we can work round it. Next outing not known but we did get some enquiries at Leeds.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

After a long period of storage the layout wasn't exactly on its best behaviour at Leeds

I went to the Liverpool exhibition and a few of the layouts were struggling there too.  If you can only set it up when it’s on show and you haven’t been out for 18 months it must be frustrating.

Paul.

• Agree 3