Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

After a long period of storage the layout wasn't exactly on its best behaviour at Leeds, made worse by lack of operating staff. That's usual at our own show but this year was really difficult although some willing volunteers were trained up successfully. For the last two hours the DCC failed and we couldn't run very much at all properly.

IMG_0930.jpg.7796dc60a5693a1a42552619c29dfffc.jpg

The layout is now stacked up in the garage, still needs covering up. It does take up quite a bit of space (no, we don't have too many bikes in there - only four) but we can work round it. Next outing not known but we did get some enquiries at Leeds.

Morning Mike, you have our sympathy. We had similar problems with Wadebridge and Padstow at Uckfield a couple of weekends ago - albeit the other way round. A combination of out of practice operators and a layout that hadn't been moved for a couple of years meant that  Saturday morning was a little fraught. Things got steadily better as the weekend wore on and things were going well by Sunday pm.

I think this scenario will be fairly common as the exhibition circuit slowly wakes up from its enforced slumber.

Jerry 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As mentioned elsewhere I have added an extra facing crossover at the end of the fiddle yard, this is in operation now with Wentworth Junction but it's reall for Herculaneum Dock.

IMG_1024.jpg.97ab568218e7ed8d46d27714ff70c615.jpg

Templot drawing set out on the track before starting, this crossover will allow access from the kickback sidings on the inside of the fiddle yard to the MDHB system and also to the middle road from Central to Brunswick. In the other direction it will be possible to run into the kickbacks from the route into Central. It's very long with very flat crossings.

IMG_1038.jpg.42b095b2bddeeaf1f9dc3014b360ddbb.jpg

Crossover built on the bench, track removed, holes drilled for the Tortoise point motors.

IMG_1039.jpg.13ba1bf0a76ddf6153f6997c902cc0d4.jpg

Glued in place, with Evostik this time (No More Nails isn't very good at low temperatures), and weighted down with various lumps of steel. It's been tested now with everything that runs on WJ but still plenty of Herculaneum stock to check before its next outing at Bristol in April.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So

Van .. booked

Operators.. ready

Wagons and Vans to Mike for coupling sorting.. done (He already has tankers and coal wagons as he isusing some of these on Wentworth Junction)

I need to.. clean loco wheels, check out the coaching stock and prepare for a long drive...

See you all at Bristol Show!

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

So

Van .. booked

Operators.. ready

Wagons and Vans to Mike for coupling sorting.. done (He already has tankers and coal wagons as he isusing some of these on Wentworth Junction)

I need to.. clean loco wheels, check out the coaching stock and prepare for a long drive...

See you all at Bristol Show!

Baz

Last time I was at Bristol Show was 1980 with Dave Walker and Laxative Bridge.

Have fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

See you there Baz.

We were next to Herculaneum Dock at the Liverpool show.

Operators organised. Car serviced and some new tyres.

Just need set Banbury up to give it a test as it hasnt been run since last May. Stock has alredy had a full service.

This will be the layouts first show since September 2019.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spent today sorting out controllers which have gone pear shaped electrically. 5 sorted so far some spares are available if required

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Touch wood layout is running OK at Bristol.

FAQs

It's based on a large area of Liverpool Docks

It is not based on New York

A lot of the locos are scratchbuilt or kit built

Yes the Liverpool Overhead does come off for transport

DG couplings are used with electromagnets spread about the layout . The operators can see white sleeper ends to see where the magnets are.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is all true. 

But the good news is a lot of people did know it was Liverpool. 

It is still surprising the number of people who can still remember riding the overhead railway. 

Andy 

Edited by Trams and Locos
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a number of gremlins and as usual I spent a fair amount of time under the baseboards fixing things but it did settle down and ran pretty well most of the show.

It does take a huge amount of time and effort to get it out though, some of us left for Thornbury with the layout lunchtime on Thursday, we managed to get mst of it set up (apart from the LOR) by 7pm. Friday morning saw the overhead and all the stock on, just about in time for opening. It was a good show but very long and tiring, it takes nearly two hours to dismantle and pack everything in the van followe by a 180m journey to get it back to Barnsley and quickly stowed in the shed and garage - and the others still had further to go then.

It's hard work but gratifying to see how well it was received at the show.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

You might have let me finish the full post first!

(trouble is, file size when first loading up the pix - only allows 10MB at a time. Once you load what you can then post, they get reduced in size so can then add more. Yes, I could reduce them in size before posting but that's a bit of a faff when Andy Y's software seems to do it for you)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I missed this post when I posted on my own layout.

Its a great layout and captures the atmosphere of the docks and LOR very well (from what I can tell, as I knew neither of them).

I believe that I once saw the layout somewhere (probably York) in the flesh years ago.

I tend not to go to exhibitions but it stuck in the memory.

Thanks for the photos.

Ian T

• Like 2