Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

The type is more or less confined to the MDHB locos but most were sold off for industrial use after the dock system closed, mostly NCB South Wales and at least one is preserved. Similar locos were supplied to Ford and still work at Dagenham but they don't have much detail in common.

Have you seen the preserved example at the Middleton in Leeds?  Running in MDHB livery, it's a regular performer, and very nicely turned-out.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is where we got to a few weeks ago....

IMG_0004.jpg.d889f2bbbb0232ad25c19ff0a6e68424.jpg

Wentworth Junction taken down and stacked up (behind the camera) and Herculaneum dock set up at a slight angle in order to access both sides.

This was all to get it ready for The Bristol show in May - most of a day's work for BarryO and me and all for nothing at the moment.

However I might as well get on with checking and necessary repairs before stacking it away again - it's supposed to be at our show in Leeds at the end of October. Most of it seems to be working OK though.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Like many others I suspect, I've done a number of things in recent weeks that are now of no use owing to Covid-19 having played its trump card. Many of those were things that I did only very grudgingly too, so it was a doubly annoying drain on time. But it is what it is........

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some work going on with Herculaneum Dock.

IMG_0748.JPG.f912c28ec361d52017563370d69d09d7.JPG

This is inside Dingle tunnel, last time out we had all sorts of mysterious derailments on the plain track here so I lifted the track (after removing the LOR which also had some problems) and sanded the boards flat before relaying.

The main problem here is the awful baseboard, originally this was just the quick and easy flat board fiddle yard with cassettes on it. However it became permanent when the dock was extended on to it at the front and when the layout went roundy the depth was made up with odd bits of spare plywood. It's a mess and very heavy but out of sight and OK as long as it works.

IMG_0749.JPG.cdff79b2f9daee5294c7ff844f48bb08.JPG

The MD&HB's new Hudswell parked at the dockside, all ready for painting now. This loco is way out of period now but I want to have at least one of every type of loco they had, only Avonside No1 and the earlier Hudswells to go now. No chip in this yet but I've tried pushing it round the dock system, the buffer beams are in gauge but they will foul the LOR bumpers because 00 allows too much sideways slop as it runs. It will be OK down at Herculaneum though - and this is where the last of them worked shunting the tanks to and from Dingle oil jetty.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's because the Fox sheet contains only one ampersand and I wasn't going to buy another sheet at their prices - the one on the right hand side. The one on the left is cobbled together from bits of other letters and some paint - it's not as neat but it is nearer the right size, the ampersand was smaller than the lettering. What would you have done?

It's not that likely to appear, being way out of period but I want to have all the possible MDHB locos - just two to go now, Avonside No1 and the earlier Hudswells. One of the latter survives at Embsay but I've got round to measuring it yet, I have an HC drawing but it's not quite the same as the MDHB locos.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

That's because the Fox sheet contains only one ampersand and I wasn't going to buy another sheet at their prices - the one on the right hand side. The one on the left is cobbled together from bits of other letters and some paint - it's not as neat but it is nearer the right size, the ampersand was smaller than the lettering. What would you have done?

It's not that likely to appear, being way out of period but I want to have all the possible MDHB locos - just two to go now, Avonside No1 and the earlier Hudswells. One of the latter survives at Embsay but I've got round to measuring it yet, I have an HC drawing but it's not quite the same as the MDHB locos.

I'd probably only have lettered one side!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'd have modelled in the well known period when the ampersand had worn off!!

Mike.

As in "Look Mum, no 'ands!".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can we have a camera down on the turntable road so we can see what is lurking in there? Please!

And I thought it was Jimmy and his bike climbing the stairs on his way to the pub..Bless him!

Very nice shots in places we can't normally see.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Looking down into the coal hole, the 60ft turntable is a venerable item, originally built in the 1970s for Bradford London Road on our ols club layout Leeds Victoria.

Very nice Mike. What happened to the Leeds and Dewsbury 'tables?