Herculaneum Dock

Michael Edge

Some more wagons for Herculaneum.. these are Mikes and have just been weathered a bit

attachicon.giftwo cambrian PO wagons (1280x374).jpg

two Cambrian kit built ex Private Owner Wagons

attachicon.gifcambrain br minerals (1280x385).jpg

a Parkside slope sided 16T steel open mineral and a Cambrian riveted open steel minerals - note they are different 

attachicon.gifmore BR steel minerals (1280x347).jpg

another couple of BR welded minerals (Cambrian)

attachicon.gifairfix mineral and Toad (1280x418).jpg

and an Airfix 16T and a Parkside ex LNER Tode.

and for something different - a very nice Bobol B

attachicon.gifbogie bolster B (1280x288).jpg

come and see them at Liverpool Show!

Baz

Hi

I gather the couplings are made of brass, Have you thought of chemically blacking them?. 

Must say the layout looks superb, carry on the good work.  

Edited by darren01

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A rather unusual maintenance job this morning

post-1643-0-60382500-1511106227_thumb.jpg

The shiny new check rail here isn't a replacement, it was never fitted in the first place. While investigating a mysterious derailment last week I found the cause was a missing check rail in this turnout, not only has it been missing for all of the 22 years Herculaneum Dock has been exhibited but it's right at the entrance to the dock exchange sidings. All sorts of trains (including all the full coals) have been routinely propelled over this and no-one has ever noticed...

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hoover? Do you know how much coal costs????

If you use a stocking and an elastic band you can use a hoover and keep the coal  :senile:works for more than coal too.

Regards Lez.Z.

Edited by lezz01

• RMweb Premium

If you use a stocking and an elastic band you can use a hoover and keep the coal  :senile:works for more than coal too.

Regards Lez.Z.

Yep

this is the usual method but when its cold and the hoover/stocking set up is not available its down to mandraulic brush and catch box..

.Baz

• RMweb Premium

The last significant addition to the layout is to build at least one of the gantry cranes which worked in Brunswick yard.

post-1643-0-10276600-1512976986.jpg

In the early 50s there were two of these cranes, slightly different in design but the only clear photo I had was of the nearer one - and only one photo at that. Both had what looked like garden shed travelling along the girders.

At a later date one of the cranes was removed, I'm not sure which one, eventually by the 1970s a different, newer crane was working here. The best option seemed to be to build the one I had the clearest photo of so this drawing was made.

post-1643-0-58784400-1512977442_thumb.png

This part of the layout is considerably compressed in width and length so the crane couldn't be a scale model in any case but the height and span had to look realistic in relation to the dock wall and the overhead railway. All the components for this went on a .015" n/s test etch which arrived just as a new book on the MDHB railway was published - with a view of the crane from the other side....

In the light of this photo a number of modifications had to be made but I pressed on anyway.

post-1643-0-05234700-1512977779_thumb.jpg

One girder and one leg assembled here with some of the etched components laid out on the bench. The hut was obviously not wide enough so one more plank was added to each side of the ends. The door wasn't visible in any of the photos I had so was moved from where I had guessed to the end. I still can't find any sign of the ladder for the driver to get to work though, presumably it was on the LH end.

post-1643-0-85438500-1512978071_thumb.jpg

A bit nearer completion now, the shed roof will be made from plastikard but I have etched the louvred ventilator to go on it.

post-1643-0-27436900-1512978202_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-10832300-1512978257_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-03482700-1512978302_thumb.jpg

The shed now on its wheels on the girders, compared with the drawing I made the walkway is considerably narrower and the shed overhangs the girders at the other side. The etched sliding windows worked out quite well.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The last significant addition to the layout is to build at least one of the gantry cranes which worked in Brunswick yard.

attachicon.gifstrip2 cropped.jpg

In the early 50s there were two of these cranes, slightly different in design but the only clear photo I had was of the nearer one - and only one photo at that. Both had what looked like garden shed travelling along the girders.

At a later date one of the cranes was removed, I'm not sure which one, eventually by the 1970s a different, newer crane was working here. The best option seemed to be to build the one I had the clearest photo of so this drawing was made.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-12-11 at 07.29.08.png

This part of the layout is considerably compressed in width and length so the crane couldn't be a scale model in any case but the height and span had to look realistic in relation to the dock wall and the overhead railway. All the components for this went on a .015" n/s test etch which arrived just as a new book on the MDHB railway was published - with a view of the crane from the other side....

In the light of this photo a number of modifications had to be made but I pressed on anyway.

attachicon.gifWP_20171209_18_06_00_Pro.jpg

One girder and one leg assembled here with some of the etched components laid out on the bench. The hut was obviously not wide enough so one more plank was added to each side of the ends. The door wasn't visible in any of the photos I had so was moved from where I had guessed to the end. I still can't find any sign of the ladder for the driver to get to work though, presumably it was on the LH end.

attachicon.gifWP_20171210_13_48_33_Pro.jpg

A bit nearer completion now, the shed roof will be made from plastikard but I have etched the louvred ventilator to go on it.

attachicon.gifWP_20171210_13_49_01_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20171210_13_49_15_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20171210_13_49_33_Pro.jpg

The shed now on its wheels on the girders, compared with the drawing I made the walkway is considerably narrower and the shed overhangs the girders at the other side. The etched sliding windows worked out quite well.

Very nice Mike. Will it be a working model?

Meant to mention, the visitor found out the hard way that loaded coal wagons are loaded with loose "coal"...

Baz

Guilty as charged :nono:

Also marshalled the banana vans at the back of the train with no through steam heat provision. An even more heinous crime, it appears :punish:

• Like 1

All the components for this went on a .015" n/s test etch which arrived just as a new book on the MDHB railway was published - with a view of the crane from the other side....

Always the way...

Lovely piece of work.

• RMweb Premium

Brunswick yard crane now finished, although I still need to put a ladder somewhere. There was something on the leg nearest the camera in this model photo but it doesn't really look like a ladder, it does line up with the door and walkway though.

post-1643-0-77095400-1513582655_thumb.jpg

The roof is made from plastikard, easier than trying to work out the angles and etch it. The ribs on the end parts are guesswork though, none of the photographs show them. The ventilator on the top was part of the etch as are the distinctive nameboards which will be added after painting.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Might be worth looking into that suggestion, compression is quite considerable just here which is why the roadway got lost in the first place. The idea behind the layout design was to keep as much of the operation possible, removing sidings which duplicated others. Brunswick loco shed and the first part of Herculaneum Dock are more or less to scale but elsewhere considerable length and some width was lost. Most visitors find the overall impression very convincing though.

• Like 2

of course a little witchcraft could be used to motorise the crane and make it all work...  just saying like.....

hat, coat, start the tuk-tuk...

baz

I recollect the Airfix magazine had an article on how to convert the dock crane to a gantry crane and motorise it-about the time the Beatles were starting to make a name for themselves.

Pity we do not see ambitious pieces like that nowadays.

The etched crane really looks good.  Keep up the posts!