Railway Bridge Advertising ?

There are of course many examples of old girder bridges with various cool bits of advertising on them ( Ferodo springs to mind )

But a google seems to suggest that these are all (?) where a road goes under the bridge and the train over the bridge

Can you think of any examples of advertising on a bridge where the trains run underneath and the road goes over the top ?

Any pictures would be very useful 

• RMweb Premium

If you think about it logically, the only person likely to see the advertising on any bridge so treated is the train driver!

If you are going to advertise to train passengers then said advert needs to be seen from carrage windows - hence the advertising boards on station platforms.

Where a road passes underneath a railway, any advert painted on the bridge will be seen by not only the driver of motor vehicles, but also their passengers plus any pedestrians in the vacinity.

If you think about it logically, the only person likely to see the advertising on any bridge so treated is the train driver!

If you are going to advertise to train passengers then said advert needs to be seen from carrage windows - hence the advertising boards on station platforms.

Where a road passes underneath a railway, any advert painted on the bridge will be seen by not only the driver of motor vehicles, but also their passengers plus any pedestrians in the vacinity.

On top of which in the steam era the sign would get dirty quite quickly.

I can however see a situation where a bridge crosses a railway close to a station, where you could put an advert on the bridge that would be seen by the passengers on the platform. - just a thought - would be interesting to know if it ever happened in practice.

Iirc I believe that there is a Ferodo sign written girder bridge in Ipswich.

Sadly as a true norfolk man I couldn't possibly travel to that God forsaken place (Again )to confirm.

Nik

It's over Norwich Road.

My sister used to call it the Erodo bridge until we told her there was an F behind the height restriction sign.

There is a bridge in Wolverhampton that still advertises Strykers bowling alley even though it burnt down a few years ago.

There's a nearly-qualifying example painted on the road bridge over Rotherham Masboro station, on google maps here: https://goo.gl/maps/3kBsT

although perhaps not strictly an advert in the modern sense, and not directly over the railway

"MIDLAND RAILWAY GOODS & COAL STATION"

• RMweb Premium

Brake linings amongst other things.......................

Apparently the company was set up by a Mr Froode and it's an anagram.

The only advertising for railway passengers to see that I can remember were the paint adverts that were often in fields opposite station platforms with 2 painters carrying a board with the company name on. There was certainly one at Hellifield in the field behind the coaling stage. Keighley's model of the shed has it included but I can't remember which company it was.

Jamie

I remember Double Two Shirts of Walefield on the bridge by Kirkgate form the 80's until recently

the wakefield kirkgate Double two ad was still there a few years ago but was painted over with a dark green

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.678189,-1.491178,3a,75y,166.77h,98.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbkfwI595qGaNUlpM0Q8SGw!2e0?hl=en-US

now

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.678181,-1.491171,3a,75y,150.56h,100.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxkO7IWTjAp4qIQnXzv92NA!2e0?hl=en-US

The only advertising for railway passengers to see that I can remember were the paint adverts that were often in fields opposite station platforms with 2 painters carrying a board with the company name on. There was certainly one at Hellifield in the field behind the coaling stage. Keighley's model of the shed has it included but I can't remember which company it was.

Jamie

"Halls Distemper" I seem to recall, or at least if the Wills kit is to be believed.

Dean

An advert for Ferodo was still on the Taunton avoiding line bridge up until recently. It may still be there, but there are currently extensive works going on to that bridge as part of a road scheme, so I suspect it may not be there for much longer.

Brake linings amongst other things.......................

My grandfather worked for them at some point in his varied career

I thought it had been painted over, been through not too long ago on Barnsley Road, however I've not been up the cut onto Ings Road for a while, probably been painted at the same time no doubt. 

Parents and grandparents still live in the area so I'm sure I'll get to see sometime soon

Apparently the company was set up by a Mr Froode and it's an anagram.

Jamie

Another example is the classic "You're in the Strong Country" sign, which advertised Strong's ales of Romsey to passengers heading for Bournemouth and Dorset.   Planning permission rules for rural advertising are (IMHO rightly) very strict, so it would be interesting to know if the Strong's signs (there were three or four of them?) were officially sanctioned.  And on Googling, there's even a model of it: http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/Youre-in-the-Strong-Country-Famous-for-Strongs-Ales-and-Stouts-black   :)  

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I've seen a few unofficial "adverts" on railway bridges around the Lincoln and Newark areas which appeared to be advertising a "recreational" drug dealer!

• RMweb Premium

There is a preserved (I assume) Halls Distemper sign. DaveF illustrated it on his photos thread recently, at Beamish if I remember correctly.

In Cardiff it was Brains that was (were?) advertised.

J

Still is  :yes:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.476366,-3.173631,3a,75y,327.72h,98.59t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgfWP5dXgy6igVhDMdQ7y3A!2e0?hl=en

And Hancocks

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.484088,-3.224773,3a,47.2y,303.94h,94.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfi4xwVMJ6kt98H_8FqnVIw!2e0?hl=en

"Halls Distemper" I seem to recall, or at least if the Wills kit is to be believed.

Immortalised by the Hornby(Original) figures. In reality you would need  a large model railway to utilize them as they had to be set some distance from the track to allow rail passengers time to see and read them. Bit of a potted history here:

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/2366/Castlehills-1967

Porcy

• 3 weeks later...

One in Romsey (Winchester Road, Southampton line) has recently featured in the letters page of the local paper. The under lying Citroen advert is now showing on both sides.  One correspondent has supplied a picture of the advert from the late 1920's - actually with the road flooded, which it did last Christmas. A previous compliant was the Citroen chevrons were CND symbols.

Archived