Saltdean - LBSCR in 0 gauge

kirtleypete

I've made more progress with the first baseboard today - three pictures are below.

17374874339_33f21515e3_c.jpg

17558914112_4ee6ebe055_c.jpg

17561111241_7374258321_c.jpg

That idea I had of keeping the station building separate until after the Gauge 0 Guild show at Cleckheaton on the 30th didn't last long!!  I'll just have to build something else now.............

The other thing I ought to mention is that I'm using 4' baseboards; if I'd used 5' boards the brewery buildings would cross a board join and I don't want to do that. Now they will all be nicely on one board. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 9

Things have moved on again; the track looks a mess because the PVA hasn't dried enough for me to clean it up - a job for tomorrow hopefully.

17603859785_924ec5481e_c.jpg

16983501083_f40e2c369b_c.jpg

17603865855_1f52362e6f_c.jpg

When it was too late I realised that the flower bed prevents the posters being changed - perhaps they only do it in the winter!

17416013918_dee70eba15_c.jpg

The ballast is a mixture of Woodland Scenics medium brown and fine buff. 

16983510853_8cd81bbe24_c.jpg

16981344114_920fcd48bc_c.jpg

I'm not sure where the tumbleweed on the track came from!

The tall red and white flowers are meant for 00, a classic case of ignoring the label and using what looks right. 

I've got gas lamps, buffer stops and a water crane on order, then this board should be looking fairly complete, though there's scope for more figures and a horse drawn vehicle or two eventually. 

Peter

• Like 13

Some more pictures now that board 1 is about there....I'm still waiting for Andy Beaton to send the water crane and correct buffer stops. 

17858143375_e9571e01a9_c.jpg

17831805346_a3251f7ff7_c.jpg

The gas lamp is the new Peco product which looks a bit on the small side - what do others think?

17831807886_bac9300749_c.jpg

17237746013_9fdb441058_c.jpg

17855252362_d76c9e543f_c.jpg

17831820176_d82b8114df_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 13

Compared to the ones Andy Duncan produces they're tiny;  the trouble is I don't know which are correct!  The Peco ones may be OK to use on a platform....actually I probably ought to have hanging lanterns under the canopy instead but that won't be happening any time soon.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

For the last couple of weeks I've been pondering about how to do the lettering on the wagons; they were white shaded black and quite small, and no transfers are available. I could have used Crafty Computer Paper to make my own but having used it before I'm not too enamoured with it. In the end I went back to what seems to be my default position and simply printed them on paper in the same way as the private owner wagons. In this way the LBSCR logo could also be included....this is how I went about it.....

18191918469_ebb61fcbf2_c.jpg

The new paper panels are the lighter grey areas, simply stuck onto the existing wagon. I've taken the chance to get closer to the correct shade of very light lavender grey as well. This is the wagon on which it works least well because I chose to leave the line of bolt heads; on the others the new panels go right up to the strapping so there is no obvious edge.

This is how the finished open wagons look, with the areas of the former livery that still showed painted in the new grey to match the paper. This was mixed from Tamiya acrylics, a new jar of flat white with one brush each of black & purple.....it worked first time, purely by luck! I took the chance to get rid of the incorrect diagonal stapping on the 'D' open as well.

18379668981_af28877be1_c.jpg

The flat wagon and ballast wagon...

18191923449_6f6294193f_c.jpg

...........and the van and brake van. I'm pleased with the brake, it seems to have worked well. All the panels are now paper, with just the framing painted. 

18378078935_fd1a663f96_c.jpg

18191926679_327e72c6b6_c.jpg

I've painted the handrails and lamp irons in the correct black now as well.

Now I've found a technique that works I can proceed with the rest of the goods stock. Coaches are going to be a far more interesting challenge!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That's quite convincing, and in 7mm too. Great work, it's good to see paper and card making a bit of a come-back in modelling.

Can I ask what your concerns are with Crafty Computer paper for transfers? I have some lying about but haven't tried them out yet, so would be interested to hear your experiences.

I have used the papers successfully Mikkel, but I have three issues with them. One, I find it hard to print a clear image because the ink doesn't soak into the paper and the wheel on the printer that pulls the paper through marks the surface with a row of little dots. 

Second, it can be hard to remove the transfer from the backing paper without it stretching and distorting, especially for large transfers....I found that using really hot water helps.  Last, they can tend to peel off too easily and the edges lift, especially with small transfers. 

The clear sheets are better than the white, but the white one is what we modellers find most useful. The three coats of varnish (I use Dullcote) make the transfer quite thick as well.

Having said all that, I haven't found any better way of making your own transfers, it's just not the perfect solution. 

Have a play with them, you might find you like using them and I'd be interested to know what you think,

Peter

I've built the little signal box which will stand at the end of the platform; for the pictures it isn't in the right place, I just stood it on the baseboard. It's based on the ones on the Cuckoo line and measures just 11' 6" x 9' 6". 

18451928350_7c6cfc3705_c.jpg

The structure is all plastic, with 3mm thick glazing for strength. I painted the whole thing brown as an undercoat, then the dark red on top...when that was dry the cream panels were added from printed paper, with the ventilation holes included on the top panels. There is no cream paint on the model at all. Most boxes were planked below the windows but a picture of Horam taken in 1882 shows plaster panels similar to those used on the station buildings so I copied that because it's unusual. The nameboard with the chunky serif lettering was copied from Sheffield Park. 

18018981773_fc251f499a_c.jpg

The open door adds interest.

18018984073_4d8b31a2f7_c.jpg

The roof was covered with my building papers and a stove pipe added from plastic tube; the little finials are 1/32nd scale wine bottles and unfortunately that's what they look like but they'll do until I can find something better.

The roof lifts off to give access to the interior:

18639634165_3cf3ffb230_c.jpg

I have also bought a lovely little horse drawn cart which was built from a kit by Parliamentary Trains; laser cut in plastic it is superb and I will be buying more. 

18639635785_57238ea794_c.jpg

18641884581_a00f528554_c.jpg

The next job is to install the platform on the second baseboard and wire in the track, then the signal box can be put in the right position. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 14

Peter,

I've never been convinced about Andy Duncan's concept of scale, and think a lot of his stuff is nearer Gauge 1.

And I'm using Noch HO plants on Höchstädt, and think they are too large for Spur Null.

Bill

I ignore what it says on the box Bill - if it looks right, I'll use it. 

We use Andy's seagulls on 'Mers les Bains' and that's 1/32nd...they look just right. If they were on an 0 gauge layout you'd be very careful not to stand underneath one! 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold

Some more good work Peter and that horse drawn cart looks superb. Now some of these things varied across the regions so would one suit Dolgelley?

Don

They seem to be a general design that could be used anywhere Don, it was the farm carts that were more regional.

I've quite a few pictures of Dolgelly station - would they be of use to you? If so e-mail me at peter.smith5547@gmail.com and I'll scan them for you. 

Peter

• Like 1

The second board is coming along now, it's about ready for ballasting. 

18488763289_ce76537a1e_c.jpg

The platform is in and the signal box is in the right position. 

18670202072_08840a8d54_c.jpg

18052272694_06d3502464_c.jpg

The two wine bottles on the roof have been replaced! The interior is finished now though it's almost impossible to see it through the small windows. 

18677255511_04a85705a9_c.jpg

The LBSC had some glorious nameboards in the early days; this isn't finished, it needs another coat of paint and the brackets need to be red. The posts should be square section wood but I hadn't got anything suitable; perhaps the one at Saltdean was an experiment that wasn't developed? The lettering was done in Serif Pageplus on the computer. 

18488770569_2896efb14b_c.jpg

The picture of the white cliffs at Seven Sisters helps place the station on the Sussex coast; there will be more trees to hide the right hand edge. The platform needs a spray with Dullcote. 

18670215922_ca639c1fa5_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 16

I've begun a thread in the 'pre grouping' section of the forum about loco painting which is related to Saltdean, but it seemed sensible to keep the two of them separate. When the first loco, a D1, is ready naturally pictures will appear on here. 

Peter

The second baseboard has moved on enough for me to post some more pictures; I won't begin work on the third until I've got some coaches and a couple of loco's built as now I've somewhere to photograph them.

18929138161_fa9722a2c5_c.jpg

18303696794_a5179ce43d_c.jpg

The Gaugemaster backscene needs a spray with Dullcote.

I've removed the picture of the Seven Sisters, not because I didn't like it but because I want it to be bigger and more prominent on the next baseboard.

18929142831_834b07858e_c.jpg

18740072109_61ca7d76b3_c.jpg

There will be a crane on the paved area in due course. 

18738596268_3d8b59f35e_c.jpg

These lovely figures are by Presier; I'm not sure what to do with the Prussian policeman that came with them!

18738597658_401a5327af_c.jpg

The granite setts are just printed paper. The dray is by S&D models.

Peter

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Wow!that's quick work Peter and top quality too. The approach of getting each board to a good standard before starting on the next seems to be working well. I suppose it stops the mundane tasks becoming a drudge.

Don

Saltdean finally has an engine, a D1 0-4-2T - details of building her are in the 'Pre Grouping' section.  She's not quite finished but good enough to have her portrait taken!   She looks far more yellow in the pictures than she actually is, which is interesting bearing in mind all the discussion of Improved Engine Green.

18829717950_fa497e6639_c.jpg

18829761078_d2b74d276c_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 17

I've done some more work on the wagons today - I posted a big model to the US yesterday so today is recovery time! 

I've made up a little flat wagon with a furniture container; I've redone the LBSC logo/illiteracy symbol on the computer and on the model it is just printed on paper and stuck in place...not ideal but it is correct now and at least they'll all be the same. The chalked board was done the same way. 

17205344769_e256185b00_o.jpg

The container was done by cladding a simple plastic card box with printed paper, done using Serif Pageplus like this.....

17365612276_1cb9a604f2_o.jpg

I just made the container to fit the wagon. The side and end artwork were done first, then a photo of a planked surface was placed over the top. This was made more and more transparent until the artwork underneath showed through but the planks could still be seen. It was printed off onto gloss photo paper, cut out, glued to the plastic box and then sprayed with Dullcote - easy! The roof was rolled from a sheet of thin brass and painted. I have to admit that my container has no doors, so I'll redo one end and add those now I know the technique works. As long as you only look at one end at a time It's OK! 

17391570025_c93f1ea115_o.jpg

It need some ropes and lashing rings to finish it off properly. 

Then I started wondering what else I could do in a similar way.......

16769059684_761d627dd2_o.jpg

I'm going to want some PO wagons based at my fictional station so here's the artwork for the first one, done in just the same way. The wagon body was made up from plastic card, and the printed sides were stuck in place:

17391210271_a0f7752fa0_o.jpg

Then the strapping was added, cut from Slater's embossed rivets sheet and glued in place with Evostick. It was then painted black. The lettering which is covered by the strapping has then to be painted in, which is why my wagon has no diagonal strapping!

17365605806_1b6db5e589_o.jpg

Here is the second wagon:

16771304423_2821c13a09_o.jpg

17203760668_6cf525cf60_o.jpg

i need to order some more underframe kits from Slaters so I can finish them off. 

The beauty of this method is that it can be used for any scale; in 2mm I would print the strapping as well. 

Doing multiples is easy too, just change the number on the artwork and print off another sheet. The look of the wagon can be varied by increasing or decreasing the transparency of the planking. The best thing of all is how cheap they are compared with kits, and you end up with unique models.

I'm going to need half a dozen beer vans for my brewery, so that's going to be the next wagon. Watch this space!

Peter

Those with longer memories will no doubt remember LMC lithos from the '30s, Hamblings ditto from the '50s and the apotheosis of the technique, Peco Wonderful Wagons. An idea with a very long pedigree...

• Like 2