Saltdean - LBSCR in 0 gauge

kirtleypete

Thanks, Peter.

Having looked at your site, I realise that I (briefly) saw Felsen at MK in February.

I live very near the venue, and made a half day visit to the exhibition, fully intending to study everything in detail, but ended up spending most of the time operating a friend's 009 layout and/or chatting to the guys running the "tinplate" layout! I've also seen, and greatly admired, your French metre gauge layout - very smart modelling, and very smart choice of scale/gauge combination. I'm a fan of French n.g. too - last week I diverted a family walk during our holiday to investigate interesting metre gauge archaeology on the former CFD Aisne.

Kevin

Crikey, didn't even know there was a show on, and even nearer to home that the previous one!

Unlikely that I will get time to attend, but if I do, I shall try to come and say hello.

My, very different from your, efforts are now the subject of a thread in the Southern Railway part of this forum, under the title "A visit to Birlstone". Determinedly coarse-scale, but you might find it interesting.

Kevin

I've had a couple of days at the Bluebell this week and it's made me think about my modelling. East Grinstead station is practically brand new, but the track where the loco's stand is black, with sharply defined edges as though someone had gone along with a spray can. The ballast is clean everywhere else, but where a loco stands it's black. 

On the edge of the platform in the same place were sooty footprints where the crew climb down from the engine, to change the lamps, take water (not at East Grinstead)  or whatever, maybe just to sit on a bench for a few minutes.

Then there were the water cranes at Sheffield Park and Hosted Keynes, very black and sooty at the hinged end of the arm. 

Back home, I looked at Saltdean - it was too clean. The pictures show what I've done...

20763794296_06b31e8713_c.jpg

The water crane has been blackened, and the track where a loco would stand has been sprayed black....there are four places, one by the water crane, one where an incoming train would stop to uncouple, on the headshunt where the loco would reverse and at the platform end where the train stands before departing. I also added some ash by the water crane, again copied from the Bluebell; this needs dry brushing in white when the PVA has dried. 

This is where a loco stands before departing:

20602039268_462e3ddb9c_c.jpg

The footprints on the platform are a bit of fun, but why not? After experimenting by putting black paint on the feet of a Prieser man in the end I simply painted them. They shouldn't look too distinct, and fade away as the walker gets further from the engine..then there is a scuffed area. 

20780608182_2dea98b391_c.jpg

I've also built more rolling stock; this green beer van is for John Smith's new layout but it looks at home on Saltdean....because the two won't run together the similar slogan doesn't matter. It's a North British van but hopefully that's not too obvious now.  John built it from a Parkside kit and I did the painting. I dread to think what the beer would taste like!

20602041358_80b35d69a4_c.jpg

I need to get on with the third baseboard now; I've got an EB Models Single half built which will also keep me busy over the next couple of months. The layout is booked to go to York next Easter so I've now got a deadline to work to which does focus the mind somewhat!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Like a lot of people I came home from Telford yesterday with a Dapol Terrier, in my case Waddon. 

It's a lovely little model, but an hour of work can make it even better. Here it is alongside my D1:

21030577199_ccb5f47af8_c.jpg

They don't look too bad side by side...any differences in colour can be explained by one loco being longer out of shops than the other. 

Here's the Terrier straight from the box:

21030579139_63a740c023_c.jpg

It's a cracking little model and superb value for money. Mine was missing one number plate which is why only one side has been photgraphed; I'll order a set from Guilplates in due course.

I was disappointed that the Westinghouse pump isn't lined, but other than that it's all there. 

I first gave the model a coat of satin varnish as the finish is very flat and in Brighton days loco's shone! The livery looks much better with a slight sheen to the finish. Then I painted the axle ends olive green and the part of the balance weights between the spokes are also painted green, a fiddly job...while the green paint was out I did the tool box lid as well. The wooden bake blocks were painted brown as the black plastic gets lost in the shadows without being picked out. 

I put coal in the bumker and a crew from Andrew Stadden in the cab - these are superb, they are not generic but proper LBSCR loco crew and come with eight arms so you can choose which to use to vary the position of the figures. He does a figure of Stroudley - I think I need him to put on the platform to keep an eye on things. 

21029276630_60535d3722_c.jpg

This is how she looks now. Although the Terriers were kept spotless photo's do show that there was often water staining on the sidetanks and water stains on the smokebox below the condenser pipe so I added those. 

21217390045_09fbdebca2_c.jpg

21030573219_165a625395_c.jpg

20594709664_dc1410d3a3_c.jpg

I'm sure I can justify one more Terrier - they are very appealing indeed!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Oooh that terrier does look tasty. Memo to self write out 1000 times I do not need a terrier one never ran through Dolgelley.

Actually I have one in 2mm in SR colours which will have a scale chassis at some time delightful engines. Gordon at our club brought one down it looked pretty good. Gordon as an ex SR driver had the advantage of having driven them.

I do like the touches you have added.

Don

Now that Autumn is upon us I have been thinking about having a small layout in the house to play with and for testing new stock ...mainly the former of course! Saltdean is in the garage and will end up in a storage unit when it's finished so something more convenient was called for.

I have room along the wall of the sitting room for an eight foot long shunting layout with a headshunt two feet long onto a bookshelf that can be removed. This is what I've done: 

21305199209_9fcf0b64f0_c.jpg

It's a 12mm ply baseboard 18" wide supported on four wrought iron shelf brackets which is plenty strong enough. The dangling wires are for the three point motors that haven't arrived yet. On the left is my Lenz 100 DCC equipment in an aluminium carrying case; I just attach it to the two feed wires with crocodile clips and off I go! 

This is the whole layout:

21305198799_e1aa09ee97_c.jpg

There is a run round loop and there are enough sidings to keep me amused shunting things around. The track is Peco, the point motors Hoffmann's operated from the handheld controller. Lengths of aluminium angle run along the front and the top of the backscene to keep it looking neat and tidy. 

That's all there is to it really...it needs figures and general clutter adding but that's about all. When I get sound fitted to the loco's it should really be fun to operate, but unfortunately it was buy the decoders or the track and the track won! Here are some pretty pictures....

21305201939_015f4df862_c.jpg

The backscenes are from my Kirtley Model Buildings range, in this case all taken at the Black Country Museum. I suppose the layout ought to be set in south London but I'm not really bothered, it's just a bit of fun. Slightly overlapping the buildings on the backscene helps give depth to the scene. 

20869383564_963f2d70a9_c.jpg

The same pub appears twice but hopefully it's not too obvious.

21304063810_72f72cecac_c.jpg

21492125815_7d9fc39fa6_c.jpg

The Terrier is the perfect loco for a layout like this.

21304301578_1d5b92556c_c.jpg

Now it's back to working on the real Saltdean.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 16

That is really cool!

Just shows that 8ft is actually plenty long enough in 0 scale, if you operate small trains. Until I downgraded it to a FY recently, I had a tiny terminus on my coarse-scale layout, in an 8ft length, and could operate trains of two 48ft coaches plus a van, or 4x6wheelers, with comfortable running round space.

What radius are the points? I'm guessing slightly more than the 38" radius ones that are considered perfectly respectable in coarse-scale.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the indoor layout. When I built Sparrow's Wharf it was 10ft long including a cassette and sat on top of a row of cupboards in a bedroom. It is good to have something set up for use.

Don

Justifying wagons?

Well, there are, to the best of my knowledge, no coal mines in Sussex, so your coal wagons need to get filled somewhere ......... From a boat at Shoreham is probably most likely, but they could be schlepped back and forth to mines in the Notts, Derby, Yorks field, in which case they travel via the Snow Hill tunnel to the GNR or MR. Which takes them to Norwood or Streatham yard, then on a "cross London".

Removal van ....... Pretty simple.

Brewery van ....... As suggested above.

So now, why are they in this yard, which looks like it might be an obscure sprig off the ELL/Deptford Wharf tangle, or the Willow Walk tangle?

Er ...... I dunno!

Maybe the yard is actually in an obscure corner of West Brighton.

Kevin

Observing that the track plan is almost a Timesaver, I had a go at drawing up something similar in SCARM last night, to fit on the two sheets of 1200x500 Knauf Spaceboard I have. I've stretched the Timesaver a bit to fit in a platform and make the loop long enough for a couple of coaches, so I can add an optional fiddle yard and run passenger trains. I've got four handmade points that are almost Peco size that I was given, so can perform a bit of surgery on them to squeeze in an extra few inches where I may need it. Then I just need to make one more. It could turn out to be what happens when Cheapside Yard is done.

Observing that the track plan is almost a Timesaver, I had a go at drawing up something similar in SCARM last night, to fit on the two sheets of 1200x500 Knauf Spaceboard I have. I've stretched the Timesaver a bit to fit in a platform and make the loop long enough for a couple of coaches, so I can add an optional fiddle yard and run passenger trains. I've got four handmade points that are almost Peco size that I was given, so can perform a bit of surgery on them to squeeze in an extra few inches where I may need it. Then I just need to make one more. It could turn out to be what happens when Cheapside Yard is done. My Terriers will be in K&ESR blue rather than IEG though.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent! I love 'em all!

If I might be permitted to suggest further brews:

- JC! (named on first seeing one of Craven's locomotive designs)

- Five Belles (obvious)

- Marsh Umber (a rich, nutty ale, for Autumn)

- Volkanik (a very strong ale, brewed by the dynamo-electric process)

- Seagulls Dropping (a prediction about the rest of the season in the Championship)

- Quadraphoenix (a legendary bird, on a motor scooter)

- Pinky's Pleasure

- Daddy Longlegs

- The Works

- Weathered Groyne

All my ideas that seek to reference Devil's Dyke seem to come out badly.

Apologies!

Kevin