Saltdean - LBSCR in 0 gauge

kirtleypete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added some more stock which is an excuse for posting more pictures. 

22883849961_afc844f38b_c.jpg

The third brake and composite coaches are built from Roxey kits. The gong on the tender of Dieppe was the business end of Craven's communication cord; by my period it was on the way out but it's too nice not to model. The gong is a bit big but it will do until I find something better.

22249954354_801db30c72_c.jpg

22251565503_c0fbd2d249_c.jpg

22846730146_28cdf1d1e2_c.jpg

22249960294_83a0a7879d_c.jpg

I'd forgotten about painting the coupling rods red! 

I need another half dozen coaches before York show; fortunately they don't take long to build.

22454389338_b149aa57b8_c.jpg

I've bought a second Terrier which I've renamed Southdown - I've since found that she was shedded at Battersea but never mind, I like the name. 

22251572383_ccf814b15a_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 15

Oh dear. Is buying extra Terriers addictive? The entire fleet for the railway I'm planning to model arrived on Friday (all two of them), but as the Robertsbridge & Pevensey Railway would have taken the Kent & East Sussex into Brighton territory, the temptation for a Brighton one to appear, on hire or some sort of through working, may rear its ugly head if you keep posting pictures of yours!

Sorry! No I'm not...if I gave in to temptation I don't see why you shouldn't as well! 

I did have an excuse, the yellow ones are getting scarce and if I'd waited until the new year I might have found I'd left it too late. 

I've used Saltdean for my last two ads Don, and no doubt for the next one as well with a different picture. 

Peter

You need to remove the Westinghouse pump, as 734 was converted to vacuum brakes before entering service, and those coal rails look a bit too solid! At least it's got the right brake pipes, unlike my Dapol Bodiams!

Edited by BG John

• 2 weeks later...

I've had second thoughts about the large goods shed as originally planned, so here's a new track plan....

23129333102_477073a91a_b.jpg

Now there's a small loco shed in place of the goods shed, so I can swap loco's around and it will reduce the pressure for storing them in the fiddle yard.  The excuse is that a loco was needed on site to work the early morning train to Brighton! It also gives me an excuse to have a couple of Stephenson Clarke PO coal wagons as they had to contract to supply LBSC sheds with coal. 

The station still needs a goods shed, of course, so I've made one of the small wooden ones that were used all over the system....

23129340482_5a8fb3c7a5_c.jpg

It proved to be too small, of course, and was replaced by a large brick built shed in 1890, but as that is two years in the future it needn't concern us! 

The offset fiddle yard on the plan is a useful dodge that allows more roads to line up with the entry onto the layout. I've also extended the brewery siding so that trains can run directly into there. The Ixion Hudswell Clarke loco's were introuced in 1988 so a brand new one might well find itself in the livery of Saltdean brewery. 

Finally, in case you're wondering how it is that a seven mile long branch line just outside Brighton is worked by such a variety of loco's, it's simple....they used it for running in turns from Brighton works!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 12

I'm interested to see what you do to the Hudswell Clarke to backdate it. I only need to take mine back to early 1900s condition, but if you produce something more interesting, mine could become an old one, rather than being brand new!

And, if you follow this link, and look for the loco 'Bromborough', you get a photo with fairly good detail of the cab of an 1889 HC. Have a look at the loco 'Ariadne' too, not an HC; much more interesting!

http://www.brocross.com/poynton/book/book9.htm

[thanks for alerting me to the omitted link, ian]

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

I like the revision and the real period feel you are getting on the layout Peter. Really great to see early LB&SCR on here.

Would putting the line through the engine shed to the fiddle yard also give more flexibility? I saw Ian White did this for East Grinstead.

Cheers

Ian

It would! Well done, I never gave it a thought.

This is the best arrangement.....

22751481547_e3c9b25c98_b.jpg

However, if the brewery siding is moved nearer to the main line the movement of the traverser is reduced making all the roads accessible. If the loco shed doors are modelled closed, saving me the trouble of making a full interior, the shed can be used for storing loco's from the fiddle yard without anyone being any the wiser....I suppose I could make them hinged so they can be open or closed.  Finally, the traverser needs to be extended to 5' long, so that a train comes in, the loco is uncoupled and a new loco drops onto the stock from the loco shed or the brewery ready to take it out. In that way no loco's need picking up, and the stock stays coupled up which with three links is a very good thing. As soon as a train goes out, the loco that is released goes into the shed ready to take out the next arrival. 

Here's the new plan....

23158366652_6b1830f604_b.jpg

The curves on the brewery siding look better too. 

It's a good thing I haven't built these two boards yet, isn't it!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 3