Saltdean - LBSCR in 0 gauge

kirtleypete

• 4 weeks later...

I've built some new wagons - I'm meant to be building baseboards but a streaming cold has put me off doing that! 

23761015991_ed14590ccc_b.jpg

These two South Eastern Railway wagons are from kits by Dan Garrett of SER Models and they are superb kits. They add a splash of colour, and I needed some wagons that weren't LBSCR to vary things a bit. As always the planking is all printed paper. I wanted them to look fairly well used, not too clean and shiny. 

23817404916_cca7cfd7a2_b.jpg

Another of Dan's kits is this charming little horsebox, built in the 1840's with no brakes! Dan does SER and LBSC versions which are pretty much the same; I imagine by the 1880's brakes would have been fitted and I'm waiting to find out what they were like. 

The kit has templates for the internal partitions so it's tempting to have another with all the doors open and full interior detail - the resin sides make this quite do-able. That one could be parked by the loading dock. 

23735106342_8c50385715_b.jpg

This is the horsebox alonside a Roxey LBSC cattle van, a whitemetal kit which is sadly showing it's age. It was easier than building one from scratch, though.

23475584579_a1f1a17aa0_b.jpg

Finally, some LSWR wagons from Hurn models to add more variety. The familar brown livery didn't come in until the 1890's.

23215374354_da3c310790_b.jpg

Those buffers are amazing - I've had to fit four link couplings to allow then to couple up! The timber trucks are permanently coupled and the wood is glued to one wagon leaving the other one loose, otherwise they wouldn't go round bends. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 13

SER wagons were described as 'red' which could mean all sorts of shades (having just bought a red suitcase online from Argos which turned out to be a vivid crimson!). The colour picture that comes with the kits shows a pretty bright red which is good enough for me. 

Saltdean has been booked to come to Worthing show in 2016 so it will be the first chance to exhibit it in Brighton territory. 

Peter

• 1 month later...

I thought it was time I gave an update on progress... I've got all the wood for the remaining baseboards and given the weather forecast it should be possible to get them done this weekend. I've got the track, so by Monday I should be able to post some pictures of the new part of the layout.

I haven't beeen completely idle, a new E1 class 0-6-0 tank has been built, finished in the goods green livery lined in red and black to make a change from all the yellow engines. This is another John Birch kit and comes highly recommended. I also bought a third Terrier as back up at exhibitions....I'm keeping it as 'Brighton' but of course it has had to be repainted to match the other two. I'm confident now that I have enough loco's to get me through York show at Easter so I can relax and enjoy finishing the layout itself, though a kit for a 'Richmond' 0-4-2 may distract me when it arrives (think of a slighlty smaller Gladstone).

The loco shed has also been built, but I didn't want to begin work on the brewery as it has to fit around the trackwork. Finally, I have built the one and only signal!

Peter

• Like 2

Progress!

The last two station baseboards are built and I've begun tracklaying....by the end of today hopefully all the track will be down and I can think about the ballasting. Unfortunately it's not the weather for taking pictures, but I'll see if it's any better tomorrow,

Peter

Things have Brightened up (sorry about the pun!) so here are three pictures showing what I've achieved so far:

24627078825_9f42d77d1b_b.jpg

The large empty space in the left far corner will be the brewery with the siding running inside.

24600905526_97d46472e2_b.jpg

The new E1 has been used for testing so here's a picture of it....the olive green was used for goods engines and the red lining was added to the black when they were Westinghouse fitted. 

23998953624_6e924afd60_b.jpg

I'm aiming to have the ballast down this week so it can be drying over the weekend while I'm at the Bristol trade show,

Peter

• Like 13

I've bought some painted figures from Detailed Miniatures and they are superb! If I know I can't do something I'm more than happy to pay someone that can and Carole is the best figure painter I've ever come across. The figures themselves come from a variety of sources. 

24638972162_590b89b039_b.jpg

A Victorian family - Mum must have taken the picture! 

24663285531_d14c55e450_b.jpg

Charles Dickens.

24389125689_4c8286d1c6_b.jpg

William Stroudley...as he was only in his mid fifties his hair probably shouldn't be grey. He's standing on the platform end making sure the engines are spotless!

24128612804_620f2b92e5_b.jpg

An LBSCR station inspector.

24756768625_a22527be41_b.jpg

When I sent Carole these two pictures she pointed out that the wrong lady is holding the arm of the lucky gentleman....decorum has now been restored! Wife swapping might have been a bit racy for Saltdean in 1887!

24129935673_7ecc7282a8_b.jpg

Peter

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I was more concerned about Charles Dickens being there, given that he died in 1870! 

Peter

Indeed, but he almost died 5 years earlier, to the day, when the South Eastern nearly killed him at Staplehurst. It is suggested that his experiences in tending the injured and dying that day in 1865 left a considerable mark upon him. So the ghost of Dickens is by no means out of place on a railway station!

Detailed Miniatures do a brilliant job. Can't help but think that the chap behind Charles Dickens looks like Robert E. Lee in civvies.  :mosking:  But there's no doubt well-painted figures add to the overall effect. My only complaint with the ones I've had from them is that they make all my others (even the professionally painted ones) look poor.

The second half of the layout is finally looking like a railway...

24674588022_b2064ac37b_z.jpg

24792412315_b6b7b0daa7_z.jpg

The big empty space in the left corner is where the brewery will be. Hopefully the crinkles in the backscenes will disappear - they've just had a coat of matt varnish to seal them.

24496885730_51d599715e_z.jpg

The goods yard is pretty limited but it will be enough; there wasn't room for a proper goods shed so I'm assuming that was built in 1890 when the yard was extended! 

Some of the ballast is still not fully dry so I need to leave it for a bit longer before I finish cleaning it all up,

Peter

• Like 12

Vast amounts of bill-posting and huge numbers of painted signs.

If you look in the LT museum photo collection, you will see that inner-London stations were completely drowned in bill-posting, and looked a right mess! Possibly less lunatic in rural areas.

Here is one in 1894, so not much enamel, but every surface wallpapered with adverts http://www.ltmcollection.org/photos/photo/photo.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXSR_=i8SrNoDadCf&IXsummary=results/results&IXsearch=Advertising&_IXFIRST_=15&IXenlarge=i0000l1n

And, I can't resist the particular poster below, which I assume was displayed only on the Chatham side of the station.

K

post-26817-0-71987600-1454614119.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

What a beautiful layout Pete. I'm a fan of LB&SCR, every town on the Sussex coast should have had a station. Rottingdean is about the only place I can think of that didn't (Well that's if you don't include the daddy long legs). If it had, the line could possibly have left the Lewes-Newhaven line at Southease crossing the Ouse before heading up to Telscombe and tunneling through East Saltdean down terminating at Saltdean only a 10 minute walk from Rottingdean.

You probably know the place didn't come into existence until the 1920s but had it have done no doubt one of the local entrepreneurs would have set up making enamel signs.

Regards Shaun a one time resident of Saltdean!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

You're the first resident I've heard from Shaun! There was actually a scheme to build a line from Brighton through Rottingdean to Newhaven but it never got built - the gradients would have been challenging to say the least. I settled on Saltdean partly because it didn't exist as a place in the 1880's, allowing me complete freedom to model whatever I wanted. It's a fairly unlikely place to have a brewery, but who cares. 

The use of printed posters for advertising is correct, just pasted straight onto the walls...they tended to be more localised, advertising stock sales and the like, rather than national brands. This is what I've come up with - first a selection of posters found online...

24828786135_7debba42a9_z.jpg

A little alteration using Pageplus and I've got a nice selection to use on my station:

24200610254_30f87eab49_z.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Vast amounts of bill-posting and huge numbers of painted signs.

If you look in the LT museum photo collection, you will see that inner-London stations were completely drowned in bill-posting, and looked a right mess! Possibly less lunatic in rural areas.

Here is one in 1894, so not much enamel, but every surface wallpapered with adverts http://www.ltmcollection.org/photos/photo/photo.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXSR_=i8SrNoDadCf&IXsummary=results/results&IXsearch=Advertising&_IXFIRST_=15&IXenlarge=i0000l1n

And, I can't resist the particular poster below, which I assume was displayed only on the Chatham side of the station.

K

K,

Not so sure about the Chatham side, but from the list of slithery things depicted the poster is definitely upside down for display anywhere in the British Isles.

Regards

CH

P.S.

Kirtley P - I'm very impressed by Saltdean and some of your interesting methods. Well done and keep at it.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H